• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Government Carry

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I remember something from a while back but can't seem to remember exactly what it was. Who in the US Government can carry into DC besides secret service, police, and military? Just a question that has been on my mind for a while.

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
A guy I know that is VSP says he can't carry in DC which really surprised me (he might be misinformed).
He's probably misinformed. According to the 2004 Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act. http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

The law says I am exempt from the laws of “any State or any political subdivision
thereof.” Does this mean the law is not effective in Washington, D.C., Puerto
Revised 7/7/05 3
Rico, or other U.S. territories?

No, the law applies in these places as well. The term “State” is defined in Chapter 44 of Title 18,
which is the portion of the U.S. Code that the Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act amends,
and the one that applies when interpreting this Act.

nova

imported post

Renegade wrote:
The District of Columbia is not a state.

They have no representation in Congress of Senate as do the states.
It doesn't matter. LEOSA applies just the same.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I remember something from a while back but can't seem to remember exactly what it was. Who in the US Government can carry into DC besides secret service, police, and military? Just a question that has been on my mind for a while.
I would think the FBI, BATFE amongst a host of other agencies.

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Yata hey

In short ANY federal Enforcement agency that has sworn Agents, including many you may not be aware of, like EPA agents. Grapeshots is correct for those two and Homeland Security has a lot of agencies with armed agents. Marshal's service, Bureau of Prisons. There are a lot of armed security services that guard federal buildings that may go armed while on duty at the facility they guard.

Actually surprisingly most military are not allowed to carry unless they have a duty requirement to do so.

echo6tango

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:

Yata hey
In short ANY federal Enforcement agency that has sworn Agents, including many you may not be aware of, like EPA agents. Grapeshots is correct for those two and Homeland Security has a lot of agencies with armed agents. Marshal's service, Bureau of Prisons. There are a lot of armed security services that guard federal buildings that may go armed while on duty at the facility they guard.

Actually surprisingly most military are not allowed to carry unless they have a duty requirement to do so.
The only military that I know of that carry within the D.C. limits are Marinesin and around8th&I, Marine Barracks Washington (Southeast DC). And as was said, it is only done while on duty guarding Marine Corps property in the area and the Generals living at 8th&I. And the Marines are OPEN CARRYING...yet surprisingly, I have not heard of any instances in recent history where some BG tried to disarm a single one of them ;)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

echo6tango wrote:
And the Marines are OPEN CARRYING...yet surprisingly, I have not heard of any instances in recent history where some BG tried to disarm a single one of them ;)

LMAO:lol:

Never, NEVER, EVER, try to take a weapon from a motivated US Marine. Even the gangs in DC know that. The Marines I see every day LIVE by the old AT&T motto "Reach out and touch someone".

Marco

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
The only military that I know of that carry within the D.C. limits are Marines
Boiling (Air Force)and the Naval yard (Navy)both have service personnel that carry while on duty.
Along with civilian SP's which are armed.

[line]
As others have stated, onlylaw abiding citizens are restricted inthe nations Capitol.