Thread: Trashing house during SWAT no-knock raid was not shown to be unreasonable

Post imported post

From Fourth Amendment Blog:

Defendant's house was trashed during the no-knock raid by a SWAT team looking for drugs and weapons. It was not shown to be unreasonable under all the circumstances. Officers have discretion how to serve a search warrant. Cook v. Gibbons, 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 1095 (8th Cir. January 20, 2009) (unpublished):

We conclude that the law-enforcement officers, armed with a valid no-knock search warrant, initially acted reasonably on their belief that Cook was armed and dangerous, given the events that transpired with the CI the night before and morning of the search, given Cook's history of owning a lion and having significant numbers of firearms and storing some of them within the walls in trap doors, and given that they did not see him leave his residence. In other words, it was not "unnecessarily destructive" and was thus reasonable for the breach and entry teams to have introduced OC gas and flash grenades, apparently breaking two windows in the process, before ramming a side door and thereby damaging latches.

Further, Cook did not refute defendants' evidence that once the residence was breached, it took the entry team an additional thirty minutes to determine no one was present, and we conclude that an objectively reasonable officer, presented with the facts of this situation, could have thought it necessary to tear through the ceiling to access the attic, to use additional diversionary devices in the attic, and to make a hole in one wall to be sure that no persons or weapons were present.

Banned

Post imported post

gives me a boner

Post imported post

PaulBlart wrote:
    gives me a boner
    Dude, you need to move to Russia, they get to do that stuff all the time! I'm serious!

Banned

Post imported post

Walleye wrote:
    PaulBlart wrote:
    gives me a boner
    Dude, you need to move to Russia, they get to do that stuff all the time! I'm serious!
    we get to do it here too

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

Was the guy a dope dealer? If so I have no sympathy for him.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Hmmm, yes, Pastor Niemoller on druggies, domestic terrorists and pro-gun advocates.

Post imported post

All we need is just once for the Supreme Court to say "enough" and reel the officers in. No knock search warrants may have their place, but they are used far too often for little reason. Tearing through teh walls and ceiling was just too much and the officers should have had to pay to repair the house to at least pre-invasion conditions.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    SNIP Yes, the courts, especially SCOTUS, need to reel in some of the excesses that are now being allowed. No-knock warrants need to be severely restricted before more innocent people get killed.
    Why wait for the courts?

Is there anything to prevent citizens taking it up with their state legislatures?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.