Thread: S&W SW40VE Holster

Post imported post

I decided on getting the S&W SW40VE. Put my down payment today
    now I am looking for holsters there are so many choices, any ideas?
    Best Prices?

For those of you that have this firearm what do you use?

thanks

Post imported post

Nice weapon. Have one myself and use a fobus paddle holster. It has a nice tight fit.

If you believe the trigger pull on the weapon is too heavy, call wolf springs and they carry a lighter weight spring. I got a trigger spring from wolf and it lighten the pull.

Post imported post

Thanks I will have to check that out.

Post imported post

I was told the BH CQC w/serpa for a G21/20, S&W M&P 45will fit that gun.
    Just an option to try, not promoting the holster.

I know there are many fans and some critics of this holster.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Wow that serpa is alot like what I am looking for. Thanks for the idea.
    I also liked the Fobus!

Guit

Post imported post

Turners Outdoors called me my SW40Ve is finally in. Still need a holster! I like the serpa type? Any ideas?

Guit

Post imported post

Strongly recommend not getting the Serpa. People are shooting themselves while drawing under stressful training because when you press the button and draw, your finger has a good chance of slipping into the trigger guard and firing into your leg. A lot of people will tell you it's very safe. Just want you to be able to make an informed decision.

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
    Strongly recommend not getting the Serpa. People are shooting themselves while drawing under stressful training because when you press the button and draw, your finger has a good chance of slipping into the trigger guard and firing into your leg.
    I'm no CQC fan.

However, can you provide a credible source for this claim?
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
    Strongly recommend not getting the Serpa. People are shooting themselves while drawing under stressful training because when you press the button and draw, your finger has a good chance of slipping into the trigger guard and firing into your leg. A lot of people will tell you it's very safe. Just want you to be able to make an informed decision.
    Honestly, that's not a flaw of the holster design. The holster was designed in such a way that it makes a properly indexed draw practically a requirement to draw. I'm not saying this to pick on you, but what you just said is like recommending that no one buy a car because people are speeding with them and getting into wrecks. The serpa is one of the better designs out there for retention, draw, and re-holstering in a non-competition environment.

Post imported post

Is seeing it credible enough? Also, I've heard of two well respected training institutes that have had it happen. Offhand I don't remember who, or where I could find something written about it though.

I see what your saying, not a design flaw in the same way guns don't kill people, people do. However, the reason it happens is because people naturally poke a button with the tip of their finger, instead of pressing it with the pad. Which would lead to hooking your finger in the trigger guard instead of indexing like it's intended to. That is where the accident happens. Yes you can train out of it, but you default to bad habits real easy under stress and loose fine motor skills as well. Both of those lead to accidents in this case.

I really wasn't meaning to get into this though, I just wanted the fella to have more information to make the decision.

Post imported post

if you don't mind not having much in the dept of retention..you could get what i got for my SW40VE.it's a Don Hume belt slide for about $30.(with shipping)

maybe i'll also pick up one of those BH CQC with Serpa too.(i know someone around here that has one they're willing to sell)

rides nice and after a short while,i forget it's there..

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have the sigma in a 9, I use a fobus paddle, I believe its an hk-4, or an hk1, they both work, but one has just a tad bit less retention.

Turtle Creek (outside of Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

I have the BH CQC, and I LOVE IT. I have never had a bad draw with it and the retention is perfect!! YMMV

Post imported post

ive used a serpa and liked it..because of the size of my hand..i never had to push the button with the tip of my finger..just used pad and brushed it....i felt it was quick and natural..ive since moved on to the safariland ALS paddle holster...the release is done with the thumb..but still allows the index finger to be where it needs to be...plus being swede lined it reduces finish wear on the slide that the serpa in my experience would leave rub marks....ive never been a fan of fobus holsters...people swear by them and thats fine...tried several weapons in them and could never draw fast enough or i would pull the darn thing off my belt trying to draw...and yes the serpa for the g20/21 and mp 45 works...but not on sigma f models....ve's fine...even better the newer serpa for the m&p 9/40 works nicer with a tighter fit..doesnt rattle around in the holster....ive seen serpas from $35-$50...the ALS $30-$40..and if you pay more than $25 for a fobus...well someone is insulting your intelligence....i know what dealer cost is on all three holsters and i think some people take to much liberty in trying to make a quick buck....IMHO

FYI...for any folks that have a taurus pt-92 sanes rail...the beretta 92/96 serpa can be made to work for it...use the new low walled serpa as it makes it alittle easier..and take about 5-10 mins with file and work the retention inside of holster..as the pt-92 trigger guard is thicker then the ber 92....CAUTION make sure you test pistol every time you take alittle off the retention latch....to much bad....start on the outside and work from the part of the catch that is not latching..and work your way in from there..go slow!! and be methodical about the procedure...i did a few for my favorite customers and it worked great for them...

Post imported post

Don't worry about what the holster will do to your gun. If you gun is that pretty don't put it in a holster. Every holster is gonna wear your finish some, don't sweat the small stuff. Worry more about if it's gonna leave lint, because it's a soft holster, and jam up your gun at the worst possible moment.