• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W SW40VE Holster

guitrman1001

imported post

I decided on getting the S&W SW40VE. Put my down payment today
now I am looking for holsters there are so many choices, any ideas?
Best Prices?

For those of you that have this firearm what do you use?

thanks

c45man

imported post

Nice weapon. Have one myself and use a fobus paddle holster. It has a nice tight fit.

If you believe the trigger pull on the weapon is too heavy, call wolf springs and they carry a lighter weight spring. I got a trigger spring from wolf and it lighten the pull.

Marco

imported post

I was told the BH CQC w/serpa for a G21/20, S&W M&P 45will fit that gun.
Just an option to try, not promoting the holster.

I know there are many fans and some critics of this holster.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Strongly recommend not getting the Serpa. People are shooting themselves while drawing under stressful training because when you press the button and draw, your finger has a good chance of slipping into the trigger guard and firing into your leg. A lot of people will tell you it's very safe. Just want you to be able to make an informed decision.

Marco

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Strongly recommend not getting the Serpa. People are shooting themselves while drawing under stressful training because when you press the button and draw, your finger has a good chance of slipping into the trigger guard and firing into your leg.
I'm no CQC fan.

However, can you provide a credible source for this claim?

shad0wfax

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Strongly recommend not getting the Serpa. People are shooting themselves while drawing under stressful training because when you press the button and draw, your finger has a good chance of slipping into the trigger guard and firing into your leg. A lot of people will tell you it's very safe. Just want you to be able to make an informed decision.

Honestly, that's not a flaw of the holster design. The holster was designed in such a way that it makes a properly indexed draw practically a requirement to draw. I'm not saying this to pick on you, but what you just said is like recommending that no one buy a car because people are speeding with them and getting into wrecks. The serpa is one of the better designs out there for retention, draw, and re-holstering in a non-competition environment.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Is seeing it credible enough? Also, I've heard of two well respected training institutes that have had it happen. Offhand I don't remember who, or where I could find something written about it though.

I see what your saying, not a design flaw in the same way guns don't kill people, people do. However, the reason it happens is because people naturally poke a button with the tip of their finger, instead of pressing it with the pad. Which would lead to hooking your finger in the trigger guard instead of indexing like it's intended to. That is where the accident happens. Yes you can train out of it, but you default to bad habits real easy under stress and loose fine motor skills as well. Both of those lead to accidents in this case.

I really wasn't meaning to get into this though, I just wanted the fella to have more information to make the decision.

nh92d

imported post

if you don't mind not having much in the dept of retention..you could get what i got for my SW40VE.it's a Don Hume belt slide for about $30.(with shipping)

maybe i'll also pick up one of those BH CQC with Serpa too.(i know someone around here that has one they're willing to sell)

GEDC0232.jpg

rides nice and after a short while,i forget it's there..

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I have the sigma in a 9, I use a fobus paddle, I believe its an hk-4, or an hk1, they both work, but one has just a tad bit less retention.

ballester

imported post

ive used a serpa and liked it..because of the size of my hand..i never had to push the button with the tip of my finger..just used pad and brushed it....i felt it was quick and natural..ive since moved on to the safariland ALS paddle holster...the release is done with the thumb..but still allows the index finger to be where it needs to be...plus being swede lined it reduces finish wear on the slide that the serpa in my experience would leave rub marks....ive never been a fan of fobus holsters...people swear by them and thats fine...tried several weapons in them and could never draw fast enough or i would pull the darn thing off my belt trying to draw...and yes the serpa for the g20/21 and mp 45 works...but not on sigma f models....ve's fine...even better the newer serpa for the m&p 9/40 works nicer with a tighter fit..doesnt rattle around in the holster....ive seen serpas from $35-$50...the ALS $30-$40..and if you pay more than $25 for a fobus...well someone is insulting your intelligence....i know what dealer cost is on all three holsters and i think some people take to much liberty in trying to make a quick buck....IMHO

FYI...for any folks that have a taurus pt-92 sanes rail...the beretta 92/96 serpa can be made to work for it...use the new low walled serpa as it makes it alittle easier..and take about 5-10 mins with file and work the retention inside of holster..as the pt-92 trigger guard is thicker then the ber 92....CAUTION:exclaim: make sure you test pistol every time you take alittle off the retention latch....to much bad...:lol:.start on the outside and work from the part of the catch that is not latching..and work your way in from there..go slow!! and be methodical about the procedure...i did a few for my favorite customers and it worked great for them...

bordsnbikes

imported post

Don't worry about what the holster will do to your gun. If you gun is that pretty don't put it in a holster. Every holster is gonna wear your finish some, don't sweat the small stuff. Worry more about if it's gonna leave lint, because it's a soft holster, and jam up your gun at the worst possible moment.