Thread: Unlawful firearm possesion

Post imported post

What do you guys think?

According to ORS 166.250 " It is unlawful to possess a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle".

But one of the defences to the crime states " Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section".

If I am carrying my gun on my right side and I am stopped by a LEO who cannot see my weapon, is this considered "carried openly" or would I be charged for concealing it?"

Also the law states a person can carry a handgun concealed if they are in engaged in licensed fishing or hunting. What about crabbing? Reason I ask is because you don't have to have a fishing license to crab, just a shellfish license.

Just some things to think about

Post imported post

IANAL, but I'm fairly certain that it's been ruled that just because a LEO can't see it from one angle, it doesn't count as concealed (otherwise a LEO could close his eyes and claim everyone in the room was 'evading an officer'). Of course, if a LEO really wanted to, you'd probably spend the night in jail before a magistrate threw out the charge. Also, some localities ban the carriage of firearms for those not in possession of a valid state issued license to concel.

Post imported post

In Oregon, Beaverton, Tigard, Portland, Oregon City, and others, they have a BAN on OPEN CARRY in Cars, public places, etc, if you don't have a CCL.

So be careful.

Post imported post

SpizyChicken wrote:
    In Oregon, Beaverton, Tigard, Portland, Oregon City, and others, they have a BAN on OPEN CARRY in Cars, public places, etc, if you don't have a CCL.

So be careful.
    *TWEEEEEEET!!!!*

Flag on the play! Offense. False statement, incomplete information. Five post penalty. FIRST DOWN!

To be more precise, the ban is on LOADED carry...not OPEN carry.

Post imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
    SpizyChicken wrote:

So be careful.
    *TWEEEEEEET!!!!*

Flag on the play! Offense. False statement, incomplete information. Five post penalty. FIRST DOWN!

To be more precise, the ban is on LOADED carry...not OPEN carry.
    And for a little hint, I direct you to ORS 166.173. 166.170 is another good one to know.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

Hi.

If you get a CHP in Oregon, it becomes a mute point.