• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What was your best and worst OC experience

MirkoCrocop

imported post

Only been OC'ing for 2 weeks now but wanted fellow virginians input on OC'ers fave restuarants to go and how patrons and staff treat you. Oh and what was your best and worst OC experience.

As far for me not too much experience with OC obviously , but my worst so far for me was when I went to blockbuster and went to pay for my movies when the cashier lady saw my gun and her eyes got big for a second as if she was thinking OMG!! but then she saw the movies and composed her self, btw I felt bad that I spooked her, but I was dressed approiately and didnt look grody or anything almost made me reconsider OC'ing at primos that night.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Best OC experience - everyday non-events.

A few good ones though would include my breakfast being paid for by a stranger, having my hand shaken by people I did not know and being told "I like your hat (VT) and understand your message."

Worst - challenged once by CPD but walked away - over simplification but will suffice here.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

I've only been asked to leave one restaurant. Tautog's on 23rd Street.

Well, they didn't ask me to leave, just the gun.

I carried Wednesday night while I was rigging electrical for a show at the Peppermint Beach Club. Of course, at that point I may have even qualified under J3 of §18.2-308

or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

if I wanted to.

A few years back I got some wide-eyes in line at the register at the local Home Despot. One little kid reached up (only pointing, I hope) at my sidearm and his father said "No, no, don't touch, that's a dangerous gun." I kid you not. Dangerous gun.

The lady behind him, who I don't think was with him, said (under her breath) "Why would anyone need to carry a gun these days?"

This was AFTER Columbine.. but before Va Tech. Dolt.

leprechaun117

imported post

Best: Getting a VCU girls number at a burger place in carytown last night... Because I was OCing.

Worst: Held at gun point x5 at UVA. I've been asked to leave a gas station and a Cici's Pizza, other than that no real problems.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Best: Getting a VCU girls number at a burger place in carytown last night... Because I was OCing.

Worst: Held at gun point x5 at UVA. I've been asked to leave a gas station and a Cici's Pizza, other than that no real problems.
Please tell me it wasn't the burger place that had the dog behind the counter in the SC w/Ukrops. They have more inspection cites than I have back up rds - and I carry 3 mags.

On the other hand, if you ate there, you both must have cast iron constitutions. :D

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
The lady behind him, who I don't think was with him, said (under her breath) "Why would anyone need to carry a gun these days?"
I'm hoping someone will one day make the statement, "Do you really believe carrying a gun is necessary?" To which I'll reply, "Only twice so far" :^).

leprechaun117

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:

Please tell me it wasn't the burger place that had the dog behind the counter in the SC w/Ukrops.  They have more inspection cites than I have back up rds - and I carry 3 mags.

On the other hand, if you ate there, you both must have cast iron constitutions. :D

Yata hey

That's the one. Best burger I've had in a long time... Guess I got lucky :)

I was in a gas station one time with a buddy of mine, hippy lady points at my buddy's gun and says "I hope that's a flare gun!" I turned strong side to her and said "neither of them are" with a smile. The look on her face was priceless.

Glock27Bill

imported post

No bad experiences so far.

One good one, when I was eating dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ in Oakton.

A newlywed saw my gun, asked if she could talk to me about it, so I offered her a seat and we talked for about 20 minutes.

She just moved from DC to VA with her new husband.

Was a good conversation, I appreciated her talking to me instead of leaving and whining to all her friends about the bad man with the gun.

MirkoCrocop

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
No bad experiences so far.

One good one, when I was eating dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ in Oakton.

A newlywed saw my gun, asked if she could talk to me about it, so I offered her a seat and we talked for about 20 minutes.

She just moved from DC to VA with her new husband.

Was a good conversation, I appreciated her talking to me instead of leaving and whining to all her friends about the bad man with the gun.
I wonder if she realized she just moved from a coal-lump star state to a gold star state:celebrateisnt that great!?50 miles south and you just became free!!! Even if you had family there you could still just as easily move to NoVa and see family every week.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just checked this board and found I've been posting here for more than 3 1/2 years, and OC'ing at least sporadically for quite some months before that.

My best OC experiences have been OCDO dinners, city council meetings, Richmond lobby days, VCDL picnics/meetings, and basically just getting to know a great group of people from all over the Commonwealth!

I really haven't had any significant negative OC experiences except a smart-aleck mall guard trying to kick me out as I was LEAVING Kelley's Tavern. Its all been pretty smooth sailing. Heck, even Danbus doesn't get arrested when he OC's with me, not even when he's at Waterside in front of Hooters.:what:

The few comments I've gotten have mostly been bland questions/statements like

"Are you an undercover cop?" ("Nope")
"Are you a cop?" ("Nope")
"You know, you can't do THAT in Maryland." ("Yup")
"Look Mommy, that man has a gun." ("Yup" [smiling])

You get the idea......

If there are newbies out there who are chewing their nails, trying to decide whether to OC or not, just go to a local dinner and enjoy yourself. It really isn't the big deal many assume it is.;)

Squid13

imported post

Best and worst...same day. I was at a Golden Corale(sp?) and someone obviously called the police, though nobody said anything to me. When the officer came in and talked to the cashier, she pointed at me and said "that's him". The officer rolled his eyes and said something I couldn't hear. He stayed and chatted with her the whole time I was there, but never approached me. I made eye contact and nodded in his direction, and he just smiled.

I have to say my heart was pounding when he walked in and she called me out.