Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QUICK QUESTION!

Post imported post

IM NEW TO THIS OC AND CC STUFF. IM 22 YEARS OLD AND NEVER HAVE OWNED A GUN. IM PLANNING ON GETTIN A 9MM S&W IN A COUPLE WEEKS. MY QUESTION IS THIS, AND IT MIGHT B STUPID ON MY PART, BUT IN ORDER TO OC, DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PERMIT? OR DO YOU JUST HAVE TO OWN THE GUN AND HAVE IT REGISTERED UNDER YOUR NAME?

Post imported post

No permit. I don't think it needs to be registered. Not sure what all that paperwork is for, though, when I buy one from a store. Have fun!

Post imported post

I'm assuming you're in Arizona, since you're posting your question in the Arizona forum. Arizona has no gun registration, and no permit is required to carry the firearm, as long as it is holstered and not concealed.

There's a lot of good info here in the AZ forum; I would recommend doing some reading here so you will be armed with knowledge before you're armed with your pistol.

Welcome to OCDO!

Post imported post

If you've never 'owned' a gun... 'Strongly suggest you find a range that'll help ya outor take a course in gun handling and safety 'fore you screw up. 'Lotta noobs shoot themselves or somebody else 'cause they don't know or understand the mechanics of the device... much less how to shoot.

'Suspect you're new to AZ... with all the 'permit 'n registration' stuff. Art 2/26 AZ Constitution pre-empts anything else. Look it up. OC has beern the norm in AZ since before there was an AZ.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    If you've never 'owned' a gun... 'Strongly suggest you find a range that'll help ya outor take a course in gun handling and safety 'fore you screw up. 'Lotta noobs shoot themselves or somebody else 'cause they don't know or understand the mechanics of the device... much less how to shoot.
    +1

And make sure you familiarize your firearm. handle it, take it apart, practice like you were aiming but MAKE SURE ITS UNLOADED. And even when you do get comfortable with it, you STILL treat it as its loaded, never forget that one. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot

Post imported post

Welcome to the GHM (government hates me) club, membership is easy
    leadership is hard. and since it hasn't been said yet.....
    Get yourself a recorder, and don't leave home without it.

Also don't consider bypassing, ignoring the safeties till you are very
    comfortable carrying the piece, and exhustive hours of practice draws.

You will read about cocked, and loaded, "what the heck is a safety",
    but these are people who have I hope been useing the pistol for years,
    and have become one with thier baby.

Find out what ammo it likes to eat, and then make lots of little holes
    in the targets, and BG.

But most important, practice your "It fell in the lake while fishing" story,
    till you can recite it with a straight face while laying on a water board.
    This will be most valuable training in the years to come.

Post imported post

Slackware... this is ARIZONA! Nobody... no LEO of any stripe 'cept maybe some mall ninja is gonna question OC or hassle you... No 'voice recorders ' or other paranoia devices required.

Post imported post

thanks for the info. but i shoulda made myself a little more clear. i've shot, and held guns and everything for awhile, so im no noob when it comes to guns and safety. i just havn't actually OWNED my own gun and just wanted to know some of the laws. ive lived in arizona my whole life but was always kinda confused on the gun laws. ive done some readin in the forums and have learned alot! thanks you guys. also, about holsters, do i need a certain holster for OC? would a belt holster with an extra mag carrier on the top be fine?

Post imported post

yes you HAVE to carry in a serpa its the way of the world sorry

haha no you can carry in whatever you want as long as people see it, anything OWB will do. if you decide to back out of the S&W i have everything you need for the perfect OC set up (gun, holster, extra mag, etc)

Post imported post

Gunbelt!

Post imported post

iv always wondered, whats that metal ring for at the bottom of the holster?

Post imported post

haha. what kinda gun u have?? im gettin my 9mm s&w brand new for $430.

Post imported post

It's for a tie down or conversion to shoulder holster. It's a Bianchi UM-84 (Military)that can be configured several ways... depending on the 'attachments'.

This one has the flap removed and thumb break strap installed.

Post imported post

aw yea mines just a couple bucks more. i have a 1911 mil spec which im selling for $650. actually its a few posts under this one if you or someone you know would be interested

Post imported post

Other gunbelt...

Post imported post

well that looks like a very nice piece, but i think imma stick wit the s&w just cuz its brand new and i wanna break it in myself but i do have lots of friends lookin to pack, so ill keep you in mind for sure!

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    iv always wondered, whats that metal ring for at the bottom of the holster?
    So's you can tie it to your thigh. That way it don't smack you up when you are chasing perps......er, I mean, when you are riding your hoss.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

I may just have to visit my uncle more often then. But I carry the recorder so my
    poor widow will have a nice nest egg.
    Besides you have to leave home now and then if nothing else to see the rest of
    the poor suckers out there.

I thought it ws AZ that had that nice airport 'encounter' arms grabbed from behind.
    with those great quotes "its a crime" from the califonia leo posts.

But for only $40, plus the time loss of dumping the files to DVD for 12 months of logs,
    I don't find it a hassle anymore for the peace and security.
    It is a shame that the need to worry about mystery charges from long ago that I
    started storing the files for 12 months.
    Will probably go to 24 months next time I get a batch of rewritables.
    As this is statue of limitation for most things I hope 24 months of boring silence
    will suffice.

But this is a joyful topic, another one joins the ranks. :celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

since we already got a discussion going, is it illegal to have a laser on the gun in Arizona?

Post imported post

nope its fine. i cant think of anything you cant have on a firearm that wouldnt cost you $10,000 anyways. pretty much anything you can buy at the gun store is fine and if its not then its a class 3 weapon which is still legal you just have to pay the tax stamp and get it registered

Post imported post

And... you can OC that Class III on yer hump if ya wanna!

(I gotta get me an M-60C... with about a 250 round belt slung over my shoulder... 'n wander 'round Wally World for effect....) :celebrate

Post imported post

I have walked past many officers with my gun on my side with ZERO issues. Welcome to AZ....enjoy your stay!

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    And... you can OC that Class III on yer hump if ya wanna!

(I gotta get me an M-60C... with about a 250 round belt slung over my shoulder... 'n wander 'round Wally World for effect....) :celebrate
    LOL, I want to see a picture of that one!

Post imported post

Just wanted to fill in a few details here, and recap some things other have said:

You don't need any kind of permit to carry openly, nor is there any holster requirement. However, your holster or the gun must be visible or partially visible - so don't let a jacket fall over your gun - an inch of fabric and you're breaking the law.

There are also really weird, stupid regulations about what constitutes concealed in a car. Glove compartment is fine, "map pocket" is apparently now fine. But it is worth reading Korwin's book for more on this. Of all the gun regulations in Arizona, I find autos and restaurants to be most absurd. Since we're talking about open carry though, watch out for accidental concealment. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this, but it is conceivable. I got my CCW permit mainly for this reason - I don't have any particular need to carry concealed, but I don't want to accidentally run afoul of the law because a shirt falls down over the thing or whatever. (I am a complete and total slob and never tuck my shirt in.)

The paperwork for buying a gun is for a federal criminal background check. Among other stupid questions it asks, "Are you a fugitive from justice?" which is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a government form. They call it in on the phone, you stand around scratching yourself for awhile, then they complete the sale on the spot unless you have a criminal record. Or you can just buy a gun from "some dude," which is the gun show loophole which I actually do believe is a "loophole" in the law - the deal here being that I don't think the background check and federal approval should be in case to begin with. So it is a loophole I like. Still, consider that when you buy from some dude, that you don't know the origin of the gun. This may be true in gun stores as well but the last thing I'd want to wind up owning is someone's murder weapon.

After the background check, you're set. I know that Arizona gun laws to people from less reasonable states (I am from New Jersey originally) can seem odd, fortunately while we do not live in the most gun-friendly state in the country, things aren't too bad here.

Short story - I was driving around Empire-Cienega down near Sonoita some years ago and suddenly a cop (maybe border patrol? Some uniformed guy with a gun) gets behind me on the dirt road there, puts on his lights, pulls me over.

Comes up to my truck and eyeballs my father and I and says, "We were looking for a pickup truck speeding through here that we have reason to believe is in violation of the law."

He pauses and says, "Are you armed?" I wasn't. I have gotten completely contradictory advice from my two CCW instructors about how to handle cops and guns - one says you shouldn't ever volunteer that you have a gun, that it's one of their business, and another says you should volunteer that information - not to bring up concealed carry here but they're interesting and worthwhile classes whether you plan on carrying concealed or not.

I say, "No." And he says, "Look, if you come down here, you really ought to be."

(!)

(And I would note, I do not look ex-military or law enforcement. I'm a slob; a computer geek. So this seems to me even more impressive somehow.)

On another occasion I was pulled over and had my pistol with me and volunteered that information and ask the cop if he wanted me to do anything about my weapon. This was on Ina Road, near La Cholla in Tucson, by the mall. I had done an illegal U-turn at like 2 AM, and they had just in the past week made the U-turn illegal at this particular intersection.

Anyway, the cop smiles, says, "no, no problem, don't worry about it and I'm just gonna give you a warning, since I know they just put that sign up." He wasn't even slightly interested that I had a gun.

My overall point being, I have yet to get any guff from law enforcement in Arizona about carrying a gun - quite the opposite. But a little courtesy goes a long way. My philosophy is to consider their position. If I am pulled over near the border, for example (happens constantly), as much of a hassle as this is, I know that my old F-150 just looks like a smugglemobile, and I know Border Patrol people, to me at least, tend not to be belligerent, so I play it real cool, and things tend to be alright. LEO types tend to develop an instinct or "scent" for trouble, and, armed or not, your best bet is not to stink

I have been tough on cops - critical of them - in the past because of how I've been treated in other encounters, but all of my bad encounters were in New Jersey, and then one time on Kelbaker road near Baker, California (which cheesed me off good). However for some reason in Arizona, they've all been professional, courteous, and friendly. Maybe I just have good luck here or something.

* That said be careful in Page and Mormon-land up along the northern state line. Things are abnormal up there in many ways.

Post imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
    He pauses and says, "Are you armed?" I wasn't. I have gotten completely contradictory advice from my two CCW instructors about how to handle cops and guns - one says you shouldn't ever volunteer that you have a gun, that it's one of their business, and another says you should volunteer that information - not to bring up concealed carry here but they're interesting and worthwhile classes whether you plan on carrying concealed or not.
    I just got my CCW permit along with a letter that stated for safety reasons, you should inform the officer that you have a gun and a permit and follow their instructions on what to do next. The way the letter is worded makes me believe that you are not obligated to do so, but it is recommended.

Personally, I plan on presenting my CCW permit along with my driver's license when the LEO comes up to the car. It sounds like a lot of gun owners get off with just a warning when they are upfront with the LEOs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast