• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

QUICK QUESTION!

PYRO PSR

imported post

IM NEW TO THIS OC AND CC STUFF. IM 22 YEARS OLD AND NEVER HAVE OWNED A GUN. IM PLANNING ON GETTIN A 9MM S&W IN A COUPLE WEEKS. MY QUESTION IS THIS, AND IT MIGHT B STUPID ON MY PART, BUT IN ORDER TO OC, DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PERMIT? OR DO YOU JUST HAVE TO OWN THE GUN AND HAVE IT REGISTERED UNDER YOUR NAME?

mzbk2l

imported post

I'm assuming you're in Arizona, since you're posting your question in the Arizona forum. Arizona has no gun registration, and no permit is required to carry the firearm, as long as it is holstered and not concealed.

There's a lot of good info here in the AZ forum; I would recommend doing some reading here so you will be armed with knowledge before you're armed with your pistol.

Welcome to OCDO! :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

If you've never 'owned' a gun... 'Strongly suggest you find a range that'll help ya outor take a course in gun handling and safety 'fore you screw up. 'Lotta noobs shoot themselves or somebody else 'cause they don't know or understand the mechanics of the device... much less how to shoot.

'Suspect you're new to AZ... with all the 'permit 'n registration' stuff. Art 2/26 AZ Constitution pre-empts anything else. Look it up. OC has beern the norm in AZ since before there was an AZ.

r6-rider

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
If you've never 'owned' a gun... 'Strongly suggest you find a range that'll help ya outor take a course in gun handling and safety 'fore you screw up. 'Lotta noobs shoot themselves or somebody else 'cause they don't know or understand the mechanics of the device... much less how to shoot.
+1

And make sure you familiarize your firearm. handle it, take it apart, practice like you were aiming but MAKE SURE ITS UNLOADED. And even when you do get comfortable with it, you STILL treat it as its loaded, never forget that one. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Welcome to the GHM (government hates me) club, membership is easy
leadership is hard. and since it hasn't been said yet.....
Get yourself a recorder, and don't leave home without it.

Also don't consider bypassing, ignoring the safeties till you are very
comfortable carrying the piece, and exhustive hours of practice draws.

You will read about cocked, and loaded, "what the heck is a safety",
but these are people who have I hope been useing the pistol for years,
and have become one with thier baby.

Find out what ammo it likes to eat, and then make lots of little holes
in the targets, and BG.

But most important, practice your "It fell in the lake while fishing" story,
till you can recite it with a straight face while laying on a water board.
This will be most valuable training in the years to come.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Slackware... this is ARIZONA! Nobody... no LEO of any stripe 'cept maybe some mall ninja is gonna question OC or hassle you... No 'voice recorders ' or other paranoia devices required.

PYRO PSR

imported post

thanks for the info. but i shoulda made myself a little more clear. i've shot, and held guns and everything for awhile, so im no noob when it comes to guns and safety. i just havn't actually OWNED my own gun and just wanted to know some of the laws. ive lived in arizona my whole life but was always kinda confused on the gun laws. ive done some readin in the forums and have learned alot! thanks you guys. also, about holsters, do i need a certain holster for OC? would a belt holster with an extra mag carrier on the top be fine?

r6-rider

imported post

yes you HAVE to carry in a serpa its the way of the world sorry

haha no you can carry in whatever you want as long as people see it, anything OWB will do. if you decide to back out of the S&W i have everything you need for the perfect OC set up (gun, holster, extra mag, etc)

r6-rider

imported post

iv always wondered, whats that metal ring for at the bottom of the holster?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It's for a tie down or conversion to shoulder holster. It's a Bianchi UM-84 (Military)that can be configured several ways... depending on the 'attachments'.

This one has the flap removed and thumb break strap installed.

r6-rider

imported post

aw yea mines just a couple bucks more. i have a 1911 mil spec which im selling for $650. actually its a few posts under this one if you or someone you know would be interested

PYRO PSR

imported post

well that looks like a very nice piece, but i think imma stick wit the s&w just cuz its brand new and i wanna break it in myself :) but i do have lots of friends lookin to pack, so ill keep you in mind for sure!

wrightme

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
iv always wondered, whats that metal ring for at the bottom of the holster?
So's you can tie it to your thigh. That way it don't smack you up when you are chasing perps......er, I mean, when you are riding your hoss.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I may just have to visit my uncle more often then. But I carry the recorder so my
poor widow will have a nice nest egg.
Besides you have to leave home now and then if nothing else to see the rest of
the poor suckers out there.

I thought it ws AZ that had that nice airport 'encounter' arms grabbed from behind.
with those great quotes "its a crime" from the califonia leo posts.

But for only $40, plus the time loss of dumping the files to DVD for 12 months of logs,
I don't find it a hassle anymore for the peace and security.
It is a shame that the need to worry about mystery charges from long ago that I
started storing the files for 12 months.
Will probably go to 24 months next time I get a batch of rewritables.
As this is statue of limitation for most things I hope 24 months of boring silence
will suffice.

But this is a joyful topic, another one joins the ranks. :celebrate:celebrate

r6-rider

imported post

nope its fine. i cant think of anything you cant have on a firearm that wouldnt cost you $10,000 anyways. pretty much anything you can buy at the gun store is fine and if its not then its a class 3 weapon which is still legal you just have to pay the tax stamp and get it registered