• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

QUICK QUESTION!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

And... you can OC that Class III on yer hump if ya wanna!

(I gotta get me an M-60C... with about a 250 round belt slung over my shoulder... 'n wander 'round Wally World for effect....) :celebrate

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
And... you can OC that Class III on yer hump if ya wanna!

(I gotta get me an M-60C... with about a 250 round belt slung over my shoulder... 'n wander 'round Wally World for effect....) :celebrate

LOL, I want to see a picture of that one!

crisisweasel

imported post

Just wanted to fill in a few details here, and recap some things other have said:

You don't need any kind of permit to carry openly, nor is there any holster requirement. However, your holster or the gun must be visible or partially visible - so don't let a jacket fall over your gun - an inch of fabric and you're breaking the law.

There are also really weird, stupid regulations about what constitutes concealed in a car. Glove compartment is fine, "map pocket" is apparently now fine. But it is worth reading Korwin's book for more on this. Of all the gun regulations in Arizona, I find autos and restaurants to be most absurd. Since we're talking about open carry though, watch out for accidental concealment. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this, but it is conceivable. I got my CCW permit mainly for this reason - I don't have any particular need to carry concealed, but I don't want to accidentally run afoul of the law because a shirt falls down over the thing or whatever. (I am a complete and total slob and never tuck my shirt in.)

The paperwork for buying a gun is for a federal criminal background check. Among other stupid questions it asks, "Are you a fugitive from justice?" which is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a government form. They call it in on the phone, you stand around scratching yourself for awhile, then they complete the sale on the spot unless you have a criminal record. Or you can just buy a gun from "some dude," which is the gun show loophole which I actually do believe is a "loophole" in the law - the deal here being that I don't think the background check and federal approval should be in case to begin with. So it is a loophole I like. Still, consider that when you buy from some dude, that you don't know the origin of the gun. This may be true in gun stores as well but the last thing I'd want to wind up owning is someone's murder weapon.

After the background check, you're set. I know that Arizona gun laws to people from less reasonable states (I am from New Jersey originally) can seem odd, fortunately while we do not live in the most gun-friendly state in the country, things aren't too bad here.

Short story - I was driving around Empire-Cienega down near Sonoita some years ago and suddenly a cop (maybe border patrol? Some uniformed guy with a gun) gets behind me on the dirt road there, puts on his lights, pulls me over.

Comes up to my truck and eyeballs my father and I and says, "We were looking for a pickup truck speeding through here that we have reason to believe is in violation of the law."

He pauses and says, "Are you armed?" I wasn't. I have gotten completely contradictory advice from my two CCW instructors about how to handle cops and guns - one says you shouldn't ever volunteer that you have a gun, that it's one of their business, and another says you should volunteer that information - not to bring up concealed carry here but they're interesting and worthwhile classes whether you plan on carrying concealed or not.

I say, "No." And he says, "Look, if you come down here, you really ought to be."

(!)

(And I would note, I do not look ex-military or law enforcement. I'm a slob; a computer geek. So this seems to me even more impressive somehow.)

On another occasion I was pulled over and had my pistol with me and volunteered that information and ask the cop if he wanted me to do anything about my weapon. This was on Ina Road, near La Cholla in Tucson, by the mall. I had done an illegal U-turn at like 2 AM, and they had just in the past week made the U-turn illegal at this particular intersection.

Anyway, the cop smiles, says, "no, no problem, don't worry about it and I'm just gonna give you a warning, since I know they just put that sign up." He wasn't even slightly interested that I had a gun.

My overall point being, I have yet to get any guff from law enforcement in Arizona about carrying a gun - quite the opposite. But a little courtesy goes a long way. My philosophy is to consider their position. If I am pulled over near the border, for example (happens constantly), as much of a hassle as this is, I know that my old F-150 just looks like a smugglemobile, and I know Border Patrol people, to me at least, tend not to be belligerent, so I play it real cool, and things tend to be alright. LEO types tend to develop an instinct or "scent" for trouble, and, armed or not, your best bet is not to stink ;)

I have been tough on cops - critical of them - in the past because of how I've been treated in other encounters, but all of my bad encounters were in New Jersey, and then one time on Kelbaker road near Baker, California (which cheesed me off good). However for some reason in Arizona, they've all been professional, courteous, and friendly. Maybe I just have good luck here or something.

* That said be careful in Page and Mormon-land up along the northern state line. Things are abnormal up there in many ways.

Chez

imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
He pauses and says, "Are you armed?" I wasn't. I have gotten completely contradictory advice from my two CCW instructors about how to handle cops and guns - one says you shouldn't ever volunteer that you have a gun, that it's one of their business, and another says you should volunteer that information - not to bring up concealed carry here but they're interesting and worthwhile classes whether you plan on carrying concealed or not.
I just got my CCW permit along with a letter that stated for safety reasons, you should inform the officer that you have a gun and a permit and follow their instructions on what to do next. The way the letter is worded makes me believe that you are not obligated to do so, but it is recommended.

Personally, I plan on presenting my CCW permit along with my driver's license when the LEO comes up to the car. It sounds like a lot of gun owners get off with just a warning when they are upfront with the LEOs. :D

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"Comes up to my truck and eyeballs my father and I and says, "We were looking for a pickup truck speeding through here that we have reason to believe is in violation of the law."

He pauses and says, "Are you armed?"

I say, "No." And he says, "Look, if you come down here, you really ought to be."

THAT speaks volumes for the attitude of LEO's in Arizona. Can you imagine a NJ cop makin' that statement? Or most anywhere else for that matter?

r6-rider

imported post

as much as i agree with the LEOs comment, i think it was very ballsy for him to say. unfortunately if he were to say that to someone and they got into a fire fight where it was not justified self defense, the guy could just say "oh but officer ***** told me to carry a gun"

its a corrupt world we live in these days...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Carrying and using are not the same thing. Down toward Sonoita is smuggler country. They WILL jack your vehicle 'n you may just possibly disappear altogether. Think 'pirates'. Not a good area to go wanderin' dirt roads unarmed.

r6-rider

imported post

oh believe me i know i was reading all about the kidnappings, murders, etc that take place down there, defiantly not pretty. i was just playing worst case scenario, you know how those attorneys can twist things

personally i wouldnt go down there for anything less then a pistol, rifle, 100 rounds for each and one other person (who is armed)

crisisweasel

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

THAT speaks volumes for the attitude of LEO's in Arizona. Can you imagine a NJ cop makin' that statement? Or most anywhere else for that matter?
Quite obviously, this would never happen in New Jersey. What was interesting about the encounter was the LEO was not a good ol' boy type. In fact I got the sense he wasn't from Arizona.

He looked worried when he said it. Kind of like, "I don't even know if I can recommend you come down here at all."

Since that time I've been down to Empire-Cienega several times and never had a problem but I'll never forget that cop.

Incidentally, if any Arizonans have not been to Organ Pipe, danger aside, I recommend it, because it is an eye-opener. It's kind of like "maximum border problems" in stark relief, no matter how you feel about the issue.

First of all, you can take a look at the ridiculous "border fence" - here is a photo I took. This runs for hundreds of miles, possibly thousands (haven't seen the border up close like that in other border states). Note that past that monument is Mexico. That is literally the international border. You can see cars drive by on the highway (obscured a bit by foliage) on the other side of the border, (MX 2D). Imagine how easy it must be to drop someone off, and then have them approach that fence, which poses no threat to anything but cows.

http://www.dataswamp.net/colin/organpipe.jpg

So then we're driving around the western loop there - the park is stunning, by the way, I love it there - recommend visiting during monsoon season.

And my friend gets out to take a leak, so he walks up over a rise toward where the border fence is, and he comes back with a nervous look on his face and says, "There is a horde of people coming toward us."

Suddenly the air explodes with sirens and flashing lights and a van zooms by us on the little dirt road there at about 70mph (a ridiculous speed for this road) followed by border patrol SUVs.

We got out of there. I am not afraid of migrants but with high speed chases like that and untold number of people carrying who knows what, I just didn't want to stick around. I get the sense that the Border Patrol would like to close that place, and having had that experience I understand why. You will notice dirt road systems along the border fence on the US side which have obvious usage. I didn't notice any cameras, but I am sure they have some serious surveillance going on.

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is there's way too much heat about this issue between the "lock em all up into labor camps" side and the "humane borders" side. In any case, crossing an international border in this fashion:

• Is not safe. If the safety of migrants is your concern, this is a really bad scene. I feel bad for the kids being dragged around like that. Humane borders people need to understand that while I do value the lives of those migrants, anything which encourages crossing like that does them a disservice. I'm kind of annoyed at people who make excuses for otherwise try to rationalize this kind of trans-desert border crossing. I wonder how many people will die this year. I know I couldn't make it.
  • Is bad for US security. I don't have anything particularly against people coming here looking for work - to me that's an honest enough intention even if they bend the rules, but given the numbers crossing, any actual enemy of the United States could easily make their way in this way. There are people for whom deserts are not particularly intimidating and who could probably pass as local in Mexico, who would love to just waltz in this way. Borders are chokepoints. I'm for as liberal travel back and forth, in an orderly fashion, as possible (I notice many Mexicans drive up - legally - to shop in Tucson malls and enjoy the various things Tucson has to offer, which I encourage), but borders allow criminals to escape both from the US, and into the US from elsewhere, including potential terrorists. I agree with the Humane Borders people that these are human beings. I do not subscribe to the view that most people have ignoble intentions - most just want a better future for their family given the relative failure of the Mexican State. Mexico is a depressing place in many ways. Driving around down there, I always get the sense of how half-built everything is. Puerto Penasco in particular is demonstrative of this trend - it's as if there is some will to create something better, but it is half-hearted. Puerto Penasco is full of half built buildings, half built hotels, businesses which at first look fairly modern but can't take a simple credit card for payment. If you ever rent down there (and despite all this I like Puerto Penasco), everywhere I've stayed has had independent generators and water tanks. There's no infrastructure. My point in discussing all of this is, it's no wonder why people come north - Puerto Penasco is not one of the poorer parts of Mexico.
  • Lastly, and this is probably the wrong place to bring this up as well, those on the Left really need to see the complete environmental havoc this causes. We've all read about it, but if you want to see for yourself and you live in Southern Arizona or want to take a visit...
Drive down Silverbell Road - that's in Marana. Take the Avra Valley Rd. exit from 10 and just drive west and keep going for awhile; it turns into Silverbell Road, which will then take you to the mythical Brigadoon-like Ironwood National Monument, which most people in Tucson have heard of but have never been to, and don't know how to get to for some reason. (Ironwood is the stuff "behind" Picacho Peak if you are traveling by it on the highway - it stretches down to Ajo Road).

After while you will see the unmistakble Silverbell Mine coming up on the right. Before that, look for phone lines (maybe electrical, can't tell) going across the road you're driving on. Pull off. Take a firearm.

Follow the electrical/phone lines south. This is an interesting area:

(1) There are abandoned missile silos here. They are sealed with concrete and have rock cairns on them for some reason (possibly for satellite identification by the Russians, in accordance with arms limitation treaties). There are various geocaches nearby if you're into that (that's how we found it).

(2) On the way, however, you are going to see a massive migration point. You will see water bottles everywhere, backpacks, soiled clothes, blankets, makeshift tents, etc. It is a complete dump.

What is interesting about this is how far from the border it is. This is north of Tucson, and migrants are in theory walking from the border up to Ajo Road, and then from there across the expanse of Ironwood and the T.O. Nation (possibly) to Marana - this is one hell of a journey.

My wife and I were surprised at the quantity of garbage left behind (including such sights as makeshift hammocks tied between palo verde trees). One assumes that this is only one of thousands of spots (on another note, you could probably gather up a lot of the satchels people leave behind - backpacks, etc. - wash them, and make them useful).

Some years ago I was wandering around back there and some guy (we call him "Elvis" because he had magnificent sideburns) pulled up in a truck and lectured us on how stupid it was to be walking around out there unarmed (I have a lot of these stories of people telling me to carry a gun around. I probably mentioned that I'm from New Jersey originally, so the difference around here is surreal - fortunately, I find the attitude refreshing). This guy had some ugly views on Mexicans but his point was salient. As a matter of fact I started to get paranoid and kind of hiked back double-time after this discussion.

You just wouldn't imagine migrant traffic that far north. Smuggling, definitely, to avoid the border patrol checkpoints, but I can't imagine walking it.

I used to work with Canadians (the only American on my team for quite some time actually) and they assumed these stories were exaggerations, and I used to tell them that it was really dysfunctional down here. Nothing like the northern border at all. I've been across both. The contrasts are interesting:

• Going into Canada - there is one concern: That you've declared anything you plan to sell. Every time I've gone in, I've been detained for carrying in my own laptop - it's like they don't believe anyone can fly into Canada without bringing something to sell illicitly, thereby depriving their government of tariffs. It's a bit ridiculous, frankly. Canada also is not enthusiastic about Americans and their guns, but losing out on tax revenue is what they really hate.
  • Coming back into the US - it's like they don't want you back. I've both driven and flown into Canada, and when you drive, the border employees on the Canadian side are so nice, offering maps, asking if you have questions, welcoming you. Some political differences aside, I really like Canada and Canadians generally. But coming the other way, these guys are all like R. Lee Ermey characters. Harsh and hostile. Don't think it's warranted personally.
  • Driving into Mexico - complete and total indifference. Mexicans just simply do not care and do not pay attention. I've seen Americans nearly doubling the speed limit on the road down to Puerto Penasco (nice drive, incidentally, if you ever get the chance), and the very young police kind of stand on the side of the road, smokin' and jokin', taking no notice.
  • Driving into the United States from Mexico - bureaucracy, gridlock, dogs. I've never been treated with any personal hostility like I have coming back from Canada, but the wait is insane. The last time we drove back from Puerto Penasco, we waited in a line that was nearly two miles long. We get to the border and provide proof of citizenship (why they require an easily forgable birth certificate I have not yet figured out - soon to change with passport reqs), and are on our way in approximately 20 seconds. It is always amusing to see the complete junk people buy in Mexico (in fact, vendors walk up and down the line of traffic waiting at the border, selling more crap!).
Even folks in the rest of the US have no idea how screwed up it is. For all of the homeland security stuff - remove your shoes, no gels or shampoos, etc., people can just basically saunter into the country with impunity. The more I spend time along the border, the more of a clown car I think our national security scheme is. My one hope for Janet Napolitano is that she will get some federal funds for border enforcement. No one in the rest of the country cares, but then again, they really don't understand the degree of chaos down here.

And no, I'm not for shooting anyone who comes across. I am not particularly convinced any wall is likely to have any effect either. The solution seems to be a combination of sanctions against people who employ illegal immigrants, expedited process for citizenship if illegal migrants can show complete economic self-sufficiency (many can) - I think those people would make really good Americans, and then, there is the state of Mexico itself.

Kinky Friedman had an interesting idea. Pretty sure he was half-joking, but he proposed an idea where you put 30 million dollars (or some sum, forget which) into a bank account. The contents of that bank account would be the property of Mexican police officials.

For every illegal migrant or smuggler caught by the border patrol, we deduct a sum from that account. At the end of the year we tally it up.

Anyway sorry for the long post. I am procrastinating from doing some really tedious, unfulfilling work.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Great post... all that's in my 'backyard' so to speak.I can see Mexico from my veranda. Not all the LEO's here are from AZ... but they all know and abide by the free exercise of the 2A and often encourage people to arm themselves. They're not afraid of citizens with guns. They don't make an issue of it. There's no 'group hysteria' goin' on. The rest of these scaredy cat police departments would do well to see how it's 'done' here.

crisisweasel

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Other gunbelt...
Do you ever shop in any grocery stores up on Tangerine Road? My wife says she saw some dude with a getup like that (she specifically described the old-style six shooter with a belt with loops for cartridges) in either the Bashas or Frys (forget which) just a couple of days ago. We were lying in bed with insomnia the other day and I was talking to her about guns (I'd just gotten my CCW).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I don't use the SAA as my carry gun. I've prob'ly worn it 'in town' maybe twice thatI can recall. It's normally part of my 1880's 'rig' for Tombstone 'n such on the event days/weekends. I carry the S-A 1911 onna gunbelt tho. Tangerine's north of me... 'n I've never shopped there.

'Prob'ly one of the Avra Valley cowboys... not necessarily an SAA either. Lotta guys still carry .357 'n .45 double-action revolvers.

impulse

imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

• Driving into the United States from Mexico - bureaucracy, gridlock, dogs. I've never been treated with any personal hostility like I have coming back from Canada, but the wait is insane. The last time we drove back from Puerto Penasco, we waited in a line that was nearly two miles long. We get to the border and provide proof of citizenship (why they require an easily forgable birth certificate I have not yet figured out - soon to change with passport reqs), and are on our way in approximately 20 seconds. It is always amusing to see the complete junk people buy in Mexico (in fact, vendors walk up and down the line of traffic waiting at the border, selling more crap!).
Those tortillas they sell, are great for hang overs. :D

TOF

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I may just have to visit my uncle more often then. But I carry the recorder so my
poor widow will have a nice nest egg.
Besides you have to leave home now and then if nothing else to see the rest of
the poor suckers out there.

I thought it ws AZ that had that nice airport 'encounter' arms grabbed from behind.
with those great quotes "its a crime" from the califonia leo posts.

But for only $40, plus the time loss of dumping the files to DVD for 12 months of logs,
I don't find it a hassle anymore for the peace and security.
It is a shame that the need to worry about mystery charges from long ago that I
started storing the files for 12 months.
Will probably go to 24 months next time I get a batch of rewritables.
As this is statue of limitation for most things I hope 24 months of boring silence
will suffice.

But this is a joyful topic, another one joins the ranks. :celebrate:celebrate
Sounds to me like you need a life style change if it's necessary to record every waking minute. So what part of the world are you located in that you have developed such deap seated fears?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

TOF wrote:
Sounds to me like you need a life style change if it's necessary to record every waking minute. So what part of the world are you located in that you have developed such deap seated fears?
Yeah... There some serious paranoia goin' on... But... where there's areas ya haf'ta be more afraid of the cops than the bad guys... or the likelyhood of a bad encounter swings heavily toward the LEO's... I dunno. We don't have that situation here... never have had it in my experience.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well when they start allowing the state to mail you a speeding ticket in the mail after the fact,
and then you need to prove something didn't happen at a past event......

It comes from the disorderly conduct charges, just turning on the recorder when you see
the leo doesn't help as much as hours of normal everyday life recorded up to the
encounter.
With dvd's as cheap as they are, I want coverage from very delayed charges of some
allegations for a past 'crime'.

It took me almost a year to prove I didn't have a ticket. I would hate to rely on the
judges around hear to uphold the law on something as simple as 2A.

Besides, it gives me coverage when the wife asks we "Where have I been"
Of course I needed the reciept to prove it was an ice cream cone I was eating.:what:

Look at Waco, the only recordings were by the crooks cooking the facts.
I am not paranoid, they are out to get us.

It isn't to bad in AL, but I do get around, and there are some realy bad spots out there.