• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Anti Gun Business in Winchester

jegoodin

imported post

Friday, January 30, 2009
On Guns and Restaurants

I must confess that I don't pay political issues much mind—sure, the Virginia restaurant lobby keeps me well apprised of the doings in Richmond, but I give most things political scant notice. I have a restaurant to run and that is two-and-a-half full-time jobs.

But wanted or not, sometimes politics intrude into my life. Just yesterday, the local TV station sent a reporter by to interview me about guns and restaurants. Not wanting to miss any face time on TV, I had to say something. ;)

The reporter's visit reminded me that our silly season is back. Yes friends, once again, it's time for the annual wrangle in the Commonwealth of Virginia between the legislature and the governor over concealed carry of handguns in establishments licensed by the Virginia ABC, that is, restaurants and bars.

It is currently illegal to carry a concealed weapon (not just a handgun) in such establishments and last year, the legislature voted to make it legal. The governor shot this down [pun intended] and the legislature didn't have enough muscle to override the veto. This year is looking very déjà vu.

I own a gun and I admit that I love shooting poor defenseless skeet, not that I am any good at it and not that I get out to shoot more than a couple of times a year. I don't belong to the NRA. I'm not a rabid second amendment type: it is clear to me that a private citizen has no legitimate need to possess an AK, machine gun, etc.

And, if the government does take away your right to possess an AK, it's not the beginning of that mythical slippery slope that sees the government further infringing your second amendment rights.

That said, I think I stand pretty much where the average American does on this issue.

Now back to the brouhaha in Richmond. Open carry is already permitted in Virginia: you can legally openly carry a weapon into restaurants and bars. To my mind, concealed carry is not terribly different from open carry, so the proposed legislation is largely symbolic—yea or nay, it isn't really going to make a huge difference. My understanding of the proposed legislation is that the carrier has to declare the weapon and may not consume alcohol, which makes it absolutely no different from open carry.

The gun control lefties don't want concealed carry in the worst way and the second amendment righties want it in the worst way and the rest of us in the middle are asking, "Don't we have bigger issues that our legislators should be tackling?"

Regardless of your position on this legislation, you have to admit that adding guns to an alcohol-fueled environment is not a great idea. In fact, it's a terrible idea.

Individual business owners in Virginia, regardless of the prevailing carry law, are free to permit or prohibit weapons in their establishments. Because mixing alcohol and weapons is a terrible idea, I prohibit all weapons—not just guns—open or concealed, except for those carried by peace officers performing their duties.

Bottom line, I leave my gun at home when I come to the restaurant. I expect you to do the same. Regardless of the law, a restaurant is no place for a gun.

This is my reaction to the reporter showing up at my restaurant yesterday and my explanation of the no weapons policy at my restaurant. Be forewarned: we are not going to debate gun control issues on my restaurant blog. Take it elsewhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From "Ed's Blog" on http://obwrestaurant.com/

TexasNative

imported post

Apparently he's another gun owner with a clear misunderstanding of guns, carrying guns and gun law.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Apparently he's another gun owner with a clear misunderstanding of guns, carrying guns and gun law.
And he's just advertised (even more so than by a sign) that neither his customers nor his employees, nor the guy who takes receipts to the bank, is armed.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I just sent him an email....

Dear Ed,

As a fellow business owner in Virginia, I always enjoy putting money back into the local economy. My family eats out on a fairly regular basis. Usually we rely on the restaurant report to determine places to stay away from. With the economy as it is, businesses in Virginia need to do everything that they can to bring the customers in. After reading your blog entry on persons carrying a handgun for self defense in your restaurant, I can now add another place to my list of restaurants to avoid.

Thanks!

A law abiding citizen who gives a damn about self-defense and protecting his family.

Bulldog1967

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Dear Ed,

As a fellow business owner in Virginia, I always enjoy putting money back into the local economy. My family eats out on a fairly regular basis. Usually we rely on the restaurant report to determine places to stay away from. With the economy as it is, businesses in Virginia need to do everything that they can to bring the customers in. After reading your blog entry on persons carrying a handgun for self defense in your restaurant, I can now add another place to my list of restaurants to avoid.

Thanks!

A law abiding citizen who gives a damn about self-defense and protecting his family.

Great letter sir!

ProShooter

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Dear Ed,

Thanks!

Great letter sir!

Thanks!

His response was words to the effect that I was "narrow-minded and pathetic".

Ya know, I've read the 2nd Amendment a bunch of times, and for the life of me I can't recall seeing the word "skeet" mentioned anywhere in there.

Narrow-minded, indeed!

wylde007

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
it is clear to me that a private citizen has no legitimate need to possess an AK, machine gun, etc.
That right there should set him up aside as a Marxist. The second amendment is specifically designed to protect the people from corruption and tyranny from WITHIN the government.

So I should understand, then, that he believes the people could exercise this right against a corrupt and vastly militarized regime with scattershot and wheelguns? What an imbecile.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

I sent him the following:

[line]
Ed,

I read your recent commentary on carrying guns in restaurants. I don't agree with your sentiment that a restaurant is no place for a gun.

I carry my handgun so that I can protect my family from people who intend to hurt them. There's nothing special about being in a restaurant that makes it impossible for me to be confronted by such a person. In fact, it's probably more likely to happen in an "alcohol-fueled environment," as you describe it, than in most other places.

The bottom line for me is that you're not going to protect us when we patronize your restaurant. You're not obligated to do so, and you're not equipped for it anyway. My family's protection is my own responsibility, and I can't effectively perform that function if I leave my handgun at home, as you suggest.

I hope you reconsider your stance on firearms. Your restaurant looks like a place my family would enjoy. Until your policy changes, however, I'll have to take my business someplace else.

ProShooter

imported post

Tosta Dojen wrote:
I sent him the following:

[line]
Ed,

I read your recent commentary on carrying guns in restaurants. I don't agree with your sentiment that a restaurant is no place for a gun.

I carry my handgun so that I can protect my family from people who intend to hurt them. There's nothing special about being in a restaurant that makes it impossible for me to be confronted by such a person. In fact, it's probably more likely to happen in an "alcohol-fueled environment," as you describe it, than in most other places.

The bottom line for me is that you're not going to protect us when we patronize your restaurant. You're not obligated to do so, and you're not equipped for it anyway. My family's protection is my own responsibility, and I can't effectively perform that function if I leave my handgun at home, as you suggest.

I hope you reconsider your stance on firearms. Your restaurant looks like a place my family would enjoy. Until your policy changes, however, I'll have to take my business someplace else.
Well written

suntzu

imported post

kibbles1n0bits wrote:
I a feature about the new gun bills, TV3 Winchester interviewed the owner of
One Block West
http://obwrestaurant.com/
25 South Indian Alley
Winchester, Virginia 22601
info@oneblockwest.com

The owner stated that although VA has allows open carry, he feels that it is not a good idea and does not allow weapons of any type in his restraunt.
Then anytime a police officer, fed, parole officer or armed security comes in the owner then asks them to leave their firearms in their cars or leave altogether?

firearms are firearms after all, regardless of who carries them.