• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Anti Gun Business in Winchester

doug23838

imported post

" Bottom line, I leave my gun at home when I come to the restaurant. I expect you to do the same. Regardless of the law, a restaurant is no place for a gun. "

They thought that at Luby's too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hennard

Quoting Wikipedia....

Luby's massacre was a mass murder that took place on October 16, 1991 in Killeen, Texas, United States when George Jo Hennard drove his pickup truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot and killed 23 people, wounded another 20 and then committed suicide by shooting himself. It remained the deadliest shooting rampage in American history until the Virginia Tech Massacre. "

Edit to add link above.

suntzu

imported post

jegoodin wrote:
Friday, January 30, 2009
On Guns and Restaurants

I must confess that I don't pay political issues much mind—sure, the Virginia restaurant lobby keeps me well apprised of the doings in Richmond, but I give most things political scant notice. I have a restaurant to run and that is two-and-a-half full-time jobs.

Good for you.

But wanted or not, sometimes politics intrude into my life. Just yesterday, the local TV station sent a reporter by to interview me about guns and restaurants. Not wanting to miss any face time on TV, I had to say something. ;)

So you quickly just came up with something to say without really thinking?

The reporter's visit reminded me that our silly season is back. Yes friends, once again, it's time for the annual wrangle in the Commonwealth of Virginia between the legislature and the governor over concealed carry of handguns in establishments licensed by the Virginia ABC, that is, restaurants and bars.

carry of firearms should be permitted in restaurants that serve alcohol--AS LONG AS the individuals who are carrying are NOT CONSUMING alcohol in any form or fashion, regardless of how little they consume--carry should be allowed in both OC and CC fashion--depending on the individual choice.

It is currently illegal to carry a concealed weapon (not just a handgun) in such establishments and last year, the legislature voted to make it legal. The governor shot this down [pun intended] and the legislature didn't have enough muscle to override the veto. This year is looking very déjà vu.

CC as well as OC should be allowed in restaurants, but not bars or night clubs, as bars are purely for drinking and for fighting.

I own a gun and I admit that I love shooting poor defenseless skeet, not that I am any good at it and not that I get out to shoot more than a couple of times a year. I don't belong to the NRA. I'm not a rabid second amendment type: it is clear to me that a private citizen has no legitimate need to possess an AK, machine gun, etc.

What is clear to me is that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about--an AK 47 is a semi-automatic rifle capable of accepting a 30rd magazine. What are you afraid of in a 7.62x39 caliber rifle? The AK 47 is the SAME as the Rem. 700 SPS, the Savage 10fp, the Barrett .50, the Tikka T-3 Tactical, and I could go on and on--it is a RIFLE pure and simple, all that I have mentioned with the exception of the AK uses a standard detachable box magazine while the AK uses a curved magazine of somewhat more capacity. The 7.62 is a medium sized round when compared to the power and distance of what we like to call the military calibers. What exactly are you afraid of in the AK? Do you not like it because it is scary? So WHAT, I for one think the AK is a cool looking gun, especially when it is decked out in a tactical format.

So WHAT exactly are you afraid of in an AK? Does it frighten you? Does it frighten you because the government and the media like to slap a label of "assault rifle" on it? FYI ANYTHING can be an "assault rifle"...there is no such animal as an "assault rifle"...it is a figment of the imagination of the media, the gun grabbers, the brady bunch and most of the anti-gunners in the government who want to ban an entire class of semiautomatic rifles simpy because of its LOOKS.....people need to grow UP.

And, if the government does take away your right to possess an AK, it's not the beginning of that mythical slippery slope that sees the government further infringing your second amendment rights.

Again, what is clear to me is you have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.

That said, I think I stand pretty much where the average American does on this issue.

I doubt it--you are allowing the media and focus groups and the anti-gunners to convince you that if you "just give up your guns, then you will be safer"...it is just a slippery slope and a pretext to more control of guns.

Now back to the brouhaha in Richmond. Open carry is already permitted in Virginia: you can legally openly carry a weapon into restaurants and bars. To my mind, concealed carry is not terribly different from open carry, so the proposed legislation is largely symbolic—yea or nay, it isn't really going to make a huge difference. My understanding of the proposed legislation is that the carrier has to declare the weapon and may not consume alcohol, which makes it absolutely no different from open carry.

The gun control lefties don't want concealed carry in the worst way and the second amendment righties want it in the worst way and the rest of us in the middle are asking, "Don't we have bigger issues that our legislators should be tackling?"

What we need is for a STREGTHENING of our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS, not a weakening of them. STREGTHENING our RIGHTS should be amind the top priorities of any government

Regardless of your position on this legislation, you have to admit that adding guns to an alcohol-fueled environment is not a great idea. In fact, it's a terrible idea.

So crime takes a break in restaurants that serve alcohol--like a criminal is going to care whether a law is passed prohibiting guns in restaurants that serve alcohol...I can see it now--a criminal comes to the door of a restaurant and says **** I can't rob you because guns aren't allowed.....yeah ok, and I have some swamp land deepinaheartoftexas i would like to sell you...CRIMINALS don't CARE...

Individual business owners in Virginia, regardless of the prevailing carry law, are free to permit or prohibit weapons in their establishments. Because mixing alcohol and weapons is a terrible idea, I prohibit all weapons—not just guns—open or concealed, except for those carried by peace officers performing their duties.

And the people are free to not shop in your establishments...business owners need our money more than we need their products. If the people quit buying then business owners will have more important things to worry about than a LAW ABIDING citizen carrying in your establishments. If you don't want our money then that is fine--we can shop where we choose.

Again, as if CRIMINALS are going to honor no gun signs...they are CRIMINALS for a REASON--why is it this one simple concept slips by people so easily?

Bottom line, I leave my gun at home when I come to the restaurant. I expect you to do the same. Regardless of the law, a restaurant is no place for a gun.

Bully for you--if you choose to be a victim that is your right, but don't expect me to make myself a target by shopping in a store where we can't carry simply because YOU are afraid that a LAW ABIDING citizen might carry into your store or restaurant..you might well remember that CRIMINALS won't care about your no gun signs, and that they are called criminals for a reason.

This is my reaction to the reporter showing up at my restaurant yesterday and my explanation of the no weapons policy at my restaurant. Be forewarned: we are not going to debate gun control issues on my restaurant blog. Take it elsewhere.

You spoke without thinking...congratulations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From "Ed's Blog" on http://obwrestaurant.com/

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This restaurant owner is a world class doofus. Does he really think that all criminals are computer illiterate street thugs who would never come across his comments that he leaves his gun at home and asks everyone else to do the same? I hope that nothing happens to the man or his employees or customers, but dang that is just dumb to broadcast to the world that your life and your business are available for the taking to the first thug who sees his comments.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

He is unfortunately an ostrich with his head in the sand and his b*tt exposed to the elements.

Yata hey

suntzu

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
He is unfortunately an ostrich with his head in the sand and his b*tt exposed to the elements.

Yata hey
liberals and those suffering from naivete tend to hide their heads in the sand while expecting others to protect them.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

Tosta Dojen wrote:
I sent him the following:

[line]
Ed,

I read your recent commentary on carrying guns in restaurants. I don't agree with your sentiment that a restaurant is no place for a gun.

I carry my handgun so that I can protect my family from people who intend to hurt them. There's nothing special about being in a restaurant that makes it impossible for me to be confronted by such a person. In fact, it's probably more likely to happen in an "alcohol-fueled environment," as you describe it, than in most other places.

The bottom line for me is that you're not going to protect us when we patronize your restaurant. You're not obligated to do so, and you're not equipped for it anyway. My family's protection is my own responsibility, and I can't effectively perform that function if I leave my handgun at home, as you suggest.

I hope you reconsider your stance on firearms. Your restaurant looks like a place my family would enjoy. Until your policy changes, however, I'll have to take my business someplace else.
Response and reply:
Thanks for the sane note. I have received so much hate mail from gun owners that it is starting to give me a really bad taste for gun owners. I appreciate your position. I hope that you appreciate my position that as a restaurant owner, I don't want weapons of any kind on my premises. As the owner of more than a dozen guns myself, I did not take this decision lightly or without weighing the potential consequences.

Ed

[line]

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry to hear about the hate mail. There are always some people who let their zeal take them across lines that shouldn't be crossed. Do keep in mind, though, that isn't just a problem with gun owners; it's a problem with all of mankind.

I certainly respect your right, as the owner of private property, to establish your no-weapons policy. I don't believe it will make your restaurant any safer. A person who enters your restaurant intending to do harm will not care about a policy, and he doesn't need to bring a weapon to cause harm. Your desire to have no weapons of any kind present seems especially misplaced when you are yourself supplying your patrons with knives and other utensils that can be used as weapons.

It's good to know you don't take this lightly. I hope you'll continue to consider the matter, with particular attention to what you're hoping to achieve by establishing your policy, and whether or not it will actually help you to accomplish that.

Please let me know if your policy ever changes. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck with your business.

Neplusultra

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
" Bottom line, I leave my gun at home when I come to the restaurant. I expect you to do the same. Regardless of the law, a restaurant is no place for a gun. "

They thought that at Luby's too.
Glad you have a memory like I and Hupp do!!

Edit: I'd marry her in a second if it wasn't for the fact she's already married... story of my life.....

TexasNative

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Edit: I'd marry her in a second if it wasn't for the fact she's already married... story of my life.....
Don't forget, Nep, there's that little detail about her wanting to marry you, too.

Just sayin'. ;)

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tosta Dojen wrote:
Response and reply:

Thanks for the sane note. I have received so much hate mail from gun owners that it is starting to give me a really bad taste for gun owners. I appreciate your position. I hope that you appreciate my position that as a restaurant owner, I don't want weapons of any kind on my premises. As the owner of more than a dozen guns myself, I did not take this decision lightly or without weighing the potential consequences.

How does he prepare meals in his restaurant without knives???