Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: UW Police supply whistles as one "weapon"

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    222

    Post imported post

    KOMO news just reported on the meeting at the UW last night, where the recent rash of crimes was discussed with concerned parents and citizens. They reported that the university police department distributed whistles "as one weapon" against crime!

    Has anybody heard of an attempt to resurrect the campus carry legislation that was introduced last year? Sounds like a good opportunity . . . strike while the iron is hot.

    Who was the sponsor last year? Was it Pam Roach?

  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Wow....whistle as a weapon? Will they get charged with brandishing if they openly carry it?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    I saw that article on KOMO and left a nice little note in the comments........whistles are one of those jokes like urinating ona rapist........not gonna do a whole lot other than pissthe attacker off. It's a nice "feel good" thing to do on the PD's part though, no?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Whistle?!?!?! I mean, I guess it is better than nothing. The UW is a bunch of wackjobs! Look what they say here about what to do when confronted by an gunman in an active shooting:

    http://www.washington.edu/admin/poli...ter/index.html

    #4, basically says, "you're f'ed because we assume you are abiding by our "no-firearm rule", so you only have 3 options that will equally carry risk of being shot and/or killed; stay, run, or attack"

    As for the latter, I love how it says "we don't recommend it" but goes on to acknowledge that you are unarmed, and therefore totally f'ed becuase there is no other option.

    They really should just put in there "so remember how to make one of those rubber band slingshots when you were in jr. high?"

    Newsflash, there is another option.... allow students who are legally licenced to carry on campus. I'm sure there is a small percentage that already do carry, we just don't know about it and they are careful enough to not get caught.

    Might be a good time to hold another empty holster protest and hand out flyers/brochures in Red Square.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    ahahahaha. Oh man, I just read that on their website I cried laughing.

    • If the gunman does start shooting people, you need to make a choice (at this point it is your choice): stay still and hope they do not shoot you; run for an exit while zigzagging; or even attack the shooter. This is very dangerous, but certainly no more so than doing nothing in some cases. A moving target is much harder to hit than a stationary one and the last thing the shooter will expect is to be attacked by an unarmed person. Any option chosen may still result in a negative consequence.
    Seriously? Wow.... Remember kids, it's your choice on how to die one of these three ways because they prevented you from allowing you any sort of self defense.

  6. #6
    Regular Member compmanio365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,013

    Post imported post

    G27 wrote:
    ahahahaha. Oh man, I just read that on their website I cried laughing.

    • If the gunman does start shooting people, you need to make a choice (at this point it is your choice): stay still and hope they do not shoot you; run for an exit while zigzagging; or even attack the shooter. This is very dangerous, but certainly no more so than doing nothing in some cases. A moving target is much harder to hit than a stationary one and the last thing the shooter will expect is to be attacked by an unarmed person. Any option chosen may still result in a negative consequence.
    Seriously? Wow.... Remember kids, it's your choice on how to die one of these three ways because they prevented you from allowing you any sort of self defense.
    Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6..........

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    compmanio365 wrote:
    Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6..........

    I like that I am going to add that to my lingo...

    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    281

    Post imported post

    Flanders007 wrote:
    I'm sure there is a small percentage that already do carry, we just don't know about it and they are careful enough to not get caught.
    I know this to be true.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kingston, Washington, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Gentlemen,

    Carry on UW campus is not difficult. My son did it all four years he was at UW. You have to get a letter (requires an interview with the University President) allowing you to carry. The only major regulation is that you HAVE to conceal the weapon, any display and you lose the ability to carry on Campus.



  10. #10
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    In addition to what Wheelgunner said, I'd like to point out that the UofW Student Code of Conduct states that possession of firearms is considered misconduct (section 3(f)), but then in section 6 states that nothing therein is to be construed to deny the legal and constitutional rights of the student. The state Constitution is very clear that the right to bear arms in defense of one's self is not to be impaired.

    This is what we like to call a "loophole."

    FYI: the UofW is the only college/university that I've found with this "section 6" loophole; all others stop at section 5. There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  11. #11
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    American Rattlesnake wrote:
    Flanders007 wrote:
    I'm sure there is a small percentage that already do carry, we just don't know about it and they are careful enough to not get caught.
    I know this to be true.
    +1.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    222

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
    South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, which is an amazing thing in la la land.

  13. #13
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
    South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, which is an amazing thing in la la land.
    That'd be it.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Skagit Valley, Washington
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    There is nothing to prevent legal carry at Skagit Valley College in Mount Vernon, either, but they are not prone to let that be known.

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    In addition to what Wheelgunner said, I'd like to point out that the UofW Student Code of Conduct states that possession of firearms is considered misconduct (section 3(f)), but then in section 6 states that nothing therein is to be construed to deny the legal and constitutional rights of the student. The state Constitution is very clear that the right to bear arms in defense of one's self is not to be impaired.

    This is what we like to call a "loophole."

    FYI: the UofW is the only college/university that I've found with this "section 6" loophole; all others stop at section 5. There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
    South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia and Lacey allows CC, but their head of security has told me they would frown very much on OC. I chose not to press the issue with him, as I was pleased to even find a college that allowed carry.

    FWIW, The Evergreen State College states that "While at Evergreen, you have all the rights afforded to you by the state of Washington, including right to due process if charged with a violation of one of our campus regulations. You also have the right to seek redress should you be negatively affected by the behavior of others. In addition, you must abide by the laws of the state of Washington, and the special regulations that apply to behavior on our campus."

    But of course one of those "special regulations" is a bit about not having even lawfully carried guns.


  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
    South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, which is an amazing thing in la la land.
    Well we're not all bad down here. I can think of like four, maybe five normal people in Oly:P

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    222

    Post imported post

    You can make that five, or maybe six during the week when I'm there. I speak of "la la land" from personal experience!

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
    You can make that five, or maybe six during the week when I'm there. I speak of "la la land" from personal experience!
    Well crap, drop me a line sometime, I'm free on Monday and Tuesday and we can have coffee or something.


  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yakima County, ,
    Posts
    506

    Post imported post

    In addition to what Wheelgunner said, I'd like to point out that the UofW Student Code of Conduct states that possession of firearms is considered misconduct (section 3(f)), but then in section 6 states that nothing therein is to be construed to deny the legal and constitutional rights of the student. The state Constitution is very clear that the right to bear arms in defense of one's self is not to be impaired. This is what we like to call a "loophole."
    Then there's the question of how long that takes, while you're student loan collectors are calling you, you can't get any other loans becuase you're in collections because you were expelled for carrying a gun at school, etc.
    It's definitely something to take up with them, and something that should be used as a defense, but it'll suck in the meantime.

    I need to look into YVCCs carry policy. Unfortunately, their student code of conduct page is down right now and diverts to the WAC.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA, ,
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    Has anybody heard of an attempt to resurrect the campus carry legislation that was introduced last year? Sounds like a good opportunity . . . strike while the iron is hot.

    Who was the sponsor last year? Was it Pam Roach?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,026

    Post imported post

    Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
    KOMO news just reported on the meeting at the UW last night, where the recent rash of crimes was discussed with concerned parents and citizens. They reported that the university police department distributed whistles "as one weapon" against crime!

    Has anybody heard of an attempt to resurrect the campus carry legislation that was introduced last year? Sounds like a good opportunity . . . strike while the iron is hot.

    Who was the sponsor last year? Was it Pam Roach?
    "When her body was later found in the hospital parking lot, the whistle was still between her teeth. She had blown it until it filled up with blood as she died."

    Click the quote to RTWT.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    My new whistle.

    I feel safer already.


    (Sometimes I am amazed at how sheep like people can be)



  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    Why do I feel the need to carry and extra hi cap mag when I know I'm going to gun free zones? I mean their safe right.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    36

    Post imported post

    Gun Free Zones?

    Do you mean schools, courts and other places where you cant carry firearms?



    And as far as the high cap mags, carry many of those as they properly accessorize your belt.





  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheney, Washington, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    My favorite is EWU's policy....

    Steps 1-3 are run, hide, call police, then....

    • Play dead if you cannot get away-assume a prone position and lay as still as possible.
    • Fight-your last option if you are caught in the open and in close proximity to the shooter is to fight back. This is dangerous and not recommended, but could be your only option. Do anything you can in an attempt to disable or slow down the aggressor. You can use many types of items as weapons: books, trash cans or other small items.

    WHO LEFT OUT WEAPONS THAT ACTUALLY WORK AGAINST A GUNMAN PERP!!! This is verging on reckless endangerment, telling people to fight back an armed assailant with "or other small items" is ridiculous!

    I'm a returning studentat EWUnow, and I'm 29 yrs of age. I have my CPL, and can assure you that I'm not going to throw my books in defense. (maybe for a distraction though)

    For any other EWU students reading, I'm outraged at the schools stance, and responses to my requests about CCW. I'll be posting about it seperatly soon, but feel free to get ahold of me if your a student at Eastern, I'd like to get a few other supporters before moving forward with plans for bringing the WAC's for EWU inline with RCW's.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •