• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UW Police supply whistles as one "weapon"

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

KOMO news just reported on the meeting at the UW last night, where the recent rash of crimes was discussed with concerned parents and citizens. They reported that the university police department distributed whistles "as one weapon" against crime! :banghead:

Has anybody heard of an attempt to resurrect the campus carry legislation that was introduced last year? Sounds like a good opportunity . . . strike while the iron is hot.

Who was the sponsor last year? Was it Pam Roach?

compmanio365

imported post

I saw that article on KOMO and left a nice little note in the comments........whistles are one of those jokes like urinating ona rapist........not gonna do a whole lot other than pissthe attacker off. It's a nice "feel good" thing to do on the PD's part though, no?

Flanders007

imported post

Whistle?!?!?! I mean, I guess it is better than nothing. The UW is a bunch of wackjobs! Look what they say here about what to do when confronted by an gunman in an active shooting:

http://www.washington.edu/admin/police/Active_Shooter/index.html

#4, basically says, "you're f'ed because we assume you are abiding by our "no-firearm rule", so you only have 3 options that will equally carry risk of being shot and/or killed; stay, run, or attack"

As for the latter, I love how it says "we don't recommend it" but goes on to acknowledge that you are unarmed, and therefore totally f'ed becuase there is no other option.

They really should just put in there "so remember how to make one of those rubber band slingshots when you were in jr. high?" :banghead:

Newsflash, there is another option.... allow students who are legally licenced to carry on campus. I'm sure there is a small percentage that already do carry, we just don't know about it and they are careful enough to not get caught.

Might be a good time to hold another empty holster protest and hand out flyers/brochures in Red Square.

G27

imported post

ahahahaha. Oh man, I just read that on their website I cried laughing.

• If the gunman does start shooting people, you need to make a choice (at this point it is your choice): stay still and hope they do not shoot you; run for an exit while zigzagging; or even attack the shooter. This is very dangerous, but certainly no more so than doing nothing in some cases. A moving target is much harder to hit than a stationary one and the last thing the shooter will expect is to be attacked by an unarmed person. Any option chosen may still result in a negative consequence.
Seriously? Wow.... Remember kids, it's your choice on how to die one of these three ways because they prevented you from allowing you any sort of self defense.

compmanio365

imported post

G27 wrote:
ahahahaha. Oh man, I just read that on their website I cried laughing.

• If the gunman does start shooting people, you need to make a choice (at this point it is your choice): stay still and hope they do not shoot you; run for an exit while zigzagging; or even attack the shooter. This is very dangerous, but certainly no more so than doing nothing in some cases. A moving target is much harder to hit than a stationary one and the last thing the shooter will expect is to be attacked by an unarmed person. Any option chosen may still result in a negative consequence.
Seriously? Wow.... Remember kids, it's your choice on how to die one of these three ways because they prevented you from allowing you any sort of self defense.
Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6..........

Wheelgunner

imported post

Gentlemen,

Carry on UW campus is not difficult. My son did it all four years he was at UW. You have to get a letter (requires an interview with the University President) allowing you to carry. The only major regulation is that you HAVE to conceal the weapon, any display and you lose the ability to carry on Campus.

just_a_car

imported post

In addition to what Wheelgunner said, I'd like to point out that the UofW Student Code of Conduct states that possession of firearms is considered misconduct (section 3(f)), but then in section 6 states that nothing therein is to be construed to deny the legal and constitutional rights of the student. The state Constitution is very clear that the right to bear arms in defense of one's self is not to be impaired.

This is what we like to call a "loophole."

FYI: the UofW is the only college/university that I've found with this "section 6" loophole; all others stop at section 5. There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.

just_a_car

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, which is an amazing thing in la la land.
That'd be it.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
In addition to what Wheelgunner said, I'd like to point out that the UofW Student Code of Conduct states that possession of firearms is considered misconduct (section 3(f)), but then in section 6 states that nothing therein is to be construed to deny the legal and constitutional rights of the student. The state Constitution is very clear that the right to bear arms in defense of one's self is not to be impaired.

This is what we like to call a "loophole."

FYI: the UofW is the only college/university that I've found with this "section 6" loophole; all others stop at section 5. There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia and Lacey allows CC, but their head of security has told me they would frown very much on OC. I chose not to press the issue with him, as I was pleased to even find a college that allowed carry.

FWIW, The Evergreen State College states that "While at Evergreen, you have all the rights afforded to you by the state of Washington, including right to due process if charged with a violation of one of our campus regulations. You also have the right to seek redress should you be negatively affected by the behavior of others. In addition, you must abide by the laws of the state of Washington, and the special regulations that apply to behavior on our campus."

But of course one of those "special regulations" is a bit about not having even lawfully carried guns.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

just_a_car wrote:
There is one college, though, down south (which I've forgotten the name of) that follows state law exactly with regard to RCW 9.41.270.
South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, which is an amazing thing in la la land.
Well we're not all bad down here. I can think of like four, maybe five normal people in Oly:p

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

You can make that five, or maybe six during the week when I'm there. I speak of "la la land" from personal experience!
Well crap, drop me a line sometime, I'm free on Monday and Tuesday and we can have coffee or something.

cynicist

imported post

In addition to what Wheelgunner said, I'd like to point out that the UofW Student Code of Conduct states that possession of firearms is considered misconduct (section 3(f)), but then in section 6 states that nothing therein is to be construed to deny the legal and constitutional rights of the student. The state Constitution is very clear that the right to bear arms in defense of one's self is not to be impaired. This is what we like to call a "loophole."
Then there's the question of how long that takes, while you're student loan collectors are calling you, you can't get any other loans becuase you're in collections because you were expelled for carrying a gun at school, etc.
It's definitely something to take up with them, and something that should be used as a defense, but it'll suck in the meantime.

I need to look into YVCCs carry policy. Unfortunately, their student code of conduct page is down right now and diverts to the WAC.

surfj9009

imported post

Has anybody heard of an attempt to resurrect the campus carry legislation that was introduced last year? Sounds like a good opportunity . . . strike while the iron is hot.

Who was the sponsor last year? Was it Pam Roach?