• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To Those That OC in Manassas, Stay Vigilent and Aware of Your Surroundings

Marco

imported post

Wasn't there a murder in that strip mall across for the mall last yr/summer?

eyesopened

imported post

Dang'it I work and have lunch not too far from those locations. Unfortunately circumstance has it that I am forced to be without my firearm.

Neplusultra

imported post

I've often wondered what I would do (what would you do) if I was waiting there for my sub to be made and some guy walks in with a gun and demands money.... There's a lot to be aware of such as what's behind the target, legal issues from kinfolk, when to shoot, etc.

Neplusultra

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
There is nevera Lawful citizen with a gunaround when you need one.
Which is the point I make about carrying. I tell people that I really don't expect to ever use my gun, but if enough people were to carry someone would likely have a gun in the area it was needed. So we need to evangelize, to spread the gospel so to speak :^). The good news is that the more lawful citizens who carry the safer everyone will be.

Bulldog1967

imported post

FBI: Burgeoning gangs behind up to 80% of U.S. crime:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-01-29-ms13_N.htm

Criminal gangs in the USA have swelled to an estimated 1 million members responsible for up to 80% of crimes in communities across the nation, according to a gang threat assessment compiled by federal officials.The major findings in a report by the Justice Department's National Gang Intelligence Center, which has not been publicly released, conclude gangs are the "primary retail-level distributors of most illicit drugs" and several are "capable" of competing with major U.S.-based Mexican drug-trafficking organizations.
"A rising number of U.S.-based gangs are seemingly intent on developing working relationships" with U.S. and foreign drug-trafficking organizations and other criminal groups to "gain direct access to foreign sources of illicit drugs," the report concludes.
The gang population estimate is up 200,000 since 2005.
Bruce Ferrell, chairman of the Midwest Gang Investigators Association, whose group monitors gang activity in 10 states, says the number of gang members may be even higher than the report's estimate.
"We've seen an expansion for the last 10 years," says Ferrell, who has reviewed the report. "Each year, the numbers are moving forward."
'Growing threat' on the move
The report says about 900,000 gang members live "within local communities across the country," and about 147,000 are in U.S. prisons or jails.
"Most regions in the United States will experience increased gang membership … and increased gang-related criminal activity," the report concludes, citing a recent rise in gangs on the campuses of suburban and rural schools.
Among the report's other findings:
•Last year, 58% of state and local law enforcement agencies reported that criminal gangs were active in their jurisdictions, up from 45% in 2004.
•More gangs use the Internet, including encrypted e-mail, to recruit and to communicate with associates throughout the U.S. and other countries.
•Gangs, including outlaw motorcycle groups, "pose a growing threat" to law enforcement authorities along the U.S.-Canadian border. The U.S. groups are cooperating with Canadian gangs in various criminal enterprises, including drug smuggling.
Assistant FBI Director Kenneth Kaiser, the bureau's criminal division chief, says gangs have largely followed the migration paths of immigrant laborers.
He says the groups are moving to avoid the scrutiny of larger metropolitan police agencies in places such as Los Angeles. "These groups were hit hard in L.A." by law enforcement crackdowns, "but they are learning from it," Kaiser says.
MS-13 far-flung from L.A. incubator
One group that continues to spread despite law enforcement efforts is the violent Salvadoran gang known as MS-13.
Michael Sullivan, the departing director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, says the gang's dependence on shocking violence to advance extortion, prostitution and other criminal enterprises has frustrated attempts to infiltrate and disrupt the insular group's activities.
"MS-13's foothold in the U.S. is expanding," Sullivan says.
Kaiser says the street gang is in 42 states, up from 33 in 2005. "Enforcement efforts have been effective to a certain extent, but they (gang members) keep moving," he says.
MS-13 is the abbreviation for the gang also known as Mara Salvatrucha. The group gained national prominence in the 1980s in Los Angeles, where members were linked to incidents involving unusual brutality.
Since then, it has formed cells or "cliques" across the U.S., says Aaron Escorza, chief of the FBI's MS-13 National Gang Task Force.
The task force was launched in 2004 amid concerns about the gang's rapid spread. Gang members were targeted in broad investigations similar to those used to bust organized crime groups from Russia and Italy.
Among law enforcement efforts:
Omaha: The last of 24 MS-13 members swept up on federal firearms charges and conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine were sentenced last year in the largest bust since the group emerged there in 2004.
The gang's strength dimmed as a result, but the nine-month probe did not eradicate the group, says Ferrell, who assisted in the investigation.
Nashville: During the last two years, 14 MS-13 members pleaded guilty on charges ranging from murder to obstruction of justice.
Davidson County, Tenn., Sheriff Daron Hall, whose jurisdiction includes Nashville, says MS-13 started growing there about five years ago, corresponding with an influx of immigrant labor.
Last April, county officials began checking the immigration status of all arrestees. "We know we have removed about 100 gang members, including MS-13," to U.S. authorities for deportation, Hall says.
Maryland: Earlier this month, federal authorities said they had convicted 42 MS-13 members since 2005. More than half were charged in a "racketeering conspiracy" in which members participated in robberies and beatings and arranged the murders of other gang members, according to Justice Department documents.
In one case, Maryland gang members allegedly discussed killing rivals with an MS-13 leader calling on a cellphone from a Salvadoran jail, the documents say.
Escorza says a "revolving door" on the border has kept the gang's numbers steady — about 10,000 in the U.S. — even as many illegal immigrant members are deported.
The FBI, which has two agents in El Salvador to help identify and track members in Central America and the United States, plans to dispatch four more agents to Guatemala and Honduras, Escorza says.
"They evolve and adapt," he says. "They know what law enforcement is doing. Word of mouth spreads quickly."

W.E.G.

imported post

One of those bastards put a gun in my son's face in Alexandria (Cora Kelly "magnet school") as my son was walking from the baseball field to the car after a baseball practice.

My son, who was unarmed, resisted until myself and another parent interrupted the robbery.

The 15-year-old with the gun fled, but was quickly captured.
Justice was served to some degree.

Be vigilant.
Be safe.
Be determined.
Be courageous.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

The speed at which a violent attack or confrontation can occur is something many people just do not seem to comprehend. Last weekend, I saw a video of an older man who was standing at the counter of a MacDonald's waiting for his order. In walks a BG and gets up to the counter, perhaps 3-4 feet to the right of the older man. The older guy paid no attention to the BG. Suddenly the BG turns and delivers a very hard right hand punch to the side of the older man's head and down he went. The BG rifling his pockets for his wallet and car keys then ran out. The speed at which the attack took place was amazing. (I have seen other videos similar in nature).

Lesson is to always be aware of your surroundings. I have to think that if the older guy had turned to look at the BG when he walked in, the BG would have maybe thought twice about his attack. Also the older guy could have "profiled" the BG and taken a precautionary stance or position. Still no guarantee that the attack will not come, but maybe.. just maybe, it wouldn't.

W.E.G.

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The speed at which a violent attack or confrontation can occur is something many people just do not seem to comprehend. Last weekend, I saw a video of an older man who was standing at the counter of a MacDonald's waiting for his order. In walks a BG and gets up to the counter, perhaps 3-4 feet to the right of the older man. The older guy paid no attention to the BG. Suddenly the BG turns and delivers a very hard right hand punch to the side of the older man's head and down he went. The BG rifling his pockets for his wallet and car keys then ran out. The speed at which the attack took place was amazing. (I have seen other videos similar in nature).
Video at http://www.tooshocking.com/view-2004-Old_Man_Attack_At_McDonalds

mpolo79

imported post

The FBI loves to find an enemy to sensationalize. If that enemy is not white, it works even better. After all, the Feds need some way to justify their pensions and ever growing budget, don't they?

They would have you believe that attacking the symptom will cure the disease.

The real enemy is this farce called 'The War on Drugs' which provides lucrative income for gangs like MS-13 in the same way that the idiotic prohibition on alcohol was easy money for the mob. Without the income, MS-13 et. al. would shrivel up.

Who loves, embraces, and promotes 'The War on Drugs'? Who? White middle class suburbanites, whose white kids go to expensive colleges and spend their parents money on...yes, you guessed it...drugs.

If we want to fight the 'War on Drugs' how come you never hear about the DEA raiding all the dorms at Georgetown or GW? Because it's guaranteed they'll pick up tons of drugs, and probably 25-50% of the college kids would be in jail the next morning.

If you're going to really fight the drug war, aren't you supposed to go where the drugs are???

But without the 'War on Drugs', what would all those prosecutors use as an excuse to lock up all those young black and hispanic males that scare the crap out of white suburban parents?

Playing to people's fears = votes, money, and power.

rebfan

imported post

mpolo79 wrote:
The FBI loves to find an enemy to sensationalize. If that enemy is not white, it works even better. After all, the Feds need some way to justify their pensions and ever growing budget, don't they?

The real enemy is this farce called 'The War on Drugs' which provides lucrative income for gangs like MS-13 in the same way that the idiotic prohibition on alcohol was easy money for the mob. Without the income, MS-13 et. al. would shrivel up.

Who loves, embraces, and promotes 'The War on Drugs'? Who? White middle class suburbanites, whose white kids go to expensive colleges and spend their parents money on...yes, you guessed it...drugs.

If we want to fight the 'War on Drugs' how come you never hear about the DEA raiding all the dorms at Georgetown or GW? Because it's guaranteed they'll pick up tons of drugs, and probably 25-50% of the college kids would be in jail the next morning.

If you're going to really fight the drug war, aren't you supposed to go where the drugs are???

But without the 'War on Drugs', what would all those prosecutors use as an excuse to lock up all those young black and hispanic males that scare the crap out of white suburban parents?

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at. However, you do know that booze and cigarettes are still sold on the black market. The last I saw, both were legal to buy and were regulated by the Government.Legalizing drugs is not going to put anyone out of business or help one bit. There is too much money involved for anyone to say, oh well, the Government made them legal, so we are just going to stop selling them.

riverrat10k

imported post

rebfan, I will take a partial exception to your comment.

Even an apartment dweller can growenough pot in a seasonto last them a year. If most dope smokers grew their own, the profit incentive for selling pot would decrease radically.

Not the same with the harder drugs, though.

hsmith

imported post

rebfan wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at. However, you do know that booze and cigarettes are still sold on the black market. The last I saw, both were legal to buy and were regulated by the Government.Legalizing drugs is not going to put anyone out of business or help one bit. There is too much money involved for anyone to say, oh well, the Government made them legal, so we are just going to stop selling them.

They are sold on the black market becaused they are overtaxed.

Crazy how the govt creates another problem!

ufcfanvt

imported post

Not to mention, moonshiners and cigarette tax-dodgers make 1/1000th the profit of cocaine and marijuana dealers. Less profit to hire more hoods and recruit the young could possibly help, but probably won't happen in our lifetimes...
Let's get back on topic though, any leads on the perp? any statement from the police here?

Looks like he's the type to get skittish easily:
http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/man_fails_in_robbery_attempt_in_manassas/28848/
A man attempting to rob Signal Hill Cleaners Thursday morning fled the scene when a customer walked in, said Manassas City police spokesperson Sgt. Tim Neumann.

The attempted robbery of the store, located at the corner of Signal Hill and Liberia Avenue, occurred at 10:15 a.m.
The suspect was a black male, wearing a black mask, a black coat, blue jeans and black hoodie pulled up over his mask. The suspect is approximately 6-foot-2, weighs 225 pounds and was carrying a handgun.

The suspect flashed a gun to a store employee but then fled on foot when a customer walked in, said Neumann. A canine search revealed no information and city police are currently searching the area.

crazydude6030

imported post

mpolo79 wrote:

Jessie Jackson?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Well if you want to know why the press lets them get away with it....
Open a stairwell door in USA Today building, and you will see the steps
loaded with roaches. The media elite is also the druggies at school.

My children at least know thier rights, and will not let the school system violate them.
Can't help what others do, but mine will never consent to a search for any reason.

Of course I got caught up in a drug sweep, and had a ball showing how inept the
police were till they through me out of there.