• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self defense bills advance at Legisalture

JBinMontana

imported post

Self defense bills advance at Legisalture

By MATT GOURAS
Associated Press Writer

HELENA, Mont. (AP) -- The Senate overwhelmingly endorsed a plan Friday that clarifies Montanans have no obligation to retreat before using deadly force to protect their homes.

Supporters said the so-called "castle doctrine" legislation is needed to make sure the law is clear on the issue. They said Montanans already understand that it is legal to shoot intruders, and lawmakers need to make sure law specifically reflects that notion.

"It does one thing and one thing only: It says you don't have to retreat in an occupied structure when you have the right to use deadly force," said Sen. Larry Jent, D-Bozeman. "You shouldn't have to run when your life is threatened."

That bill has the blessing of police and prosecutors.

Another bill goes a step further. It states Montanans have no obligation to retreat anywhere - in their home or elsewhere - before using deadly force in the face of a threat. It is more controversial with police.

It was pushed out of a House committee Friday on a 10-8 vote, and will face more scrutiny as it advances. The House Judiciary Committee is also waiting to take action on a version of the "castle doctrine" similar to Jent's bill, which has cruised through the Senate.

Three Democrats did vote against Jent's bill.

Sen. Christine Kaufmann, D-Helena, said that loaded guns in homes cause more problems than they solve. She also said the "powerful gun lobby" bullies lawmakers into such legislation.

"I am troubled by the way we are all pressed not to have reasonable debate on the issue," she said, noting one gun group gave her an F- rating before she even had a legislative record. "That score will likely be continued now that I have stood up and made these comments."

---

The bills are Senate Bill 92 and House Bill 228

MT GUNNY

imported post

""Sen. Christine Kaufmann, D-Helena, said that loaded guns in homes cause more problems than they solve. She also said the "powerful gun lobby" bullies lawmakers into such legislation.""

I am going to do My Part, Lets Email that woman and Let her Know that WE THE PEOPLE Are the POwerfull Gun Lobby. If Loaded Guns cause so much Problems how come MT isn't the #1 Gun Related Death State.

I am the NRA, MT GUNNY

MT GUNNY

imported post

Her is what I wrote her;

Sen. Christine Kaufmann

I am Writing to Exspress my Views of being a Montanan.
I was Born and Raise in Libby. My Father had a Gun Cabinet In the Living room, as far back as I can Remember that Cabinet Was NEVER Locked. My Brothers ,one older one Youngerand younger sister Never Played with any of the Guns in it. The reason whywas My Dad took us out and let us Shoot them, Taught us how to be safe and have fun target Practicing. If We wanted to go Shoot or show a Neighbor We did, We were Responsible,Because We were Taught how to Be Responsible with Firearms.Once I was Old enough My Father and I went Hunting Allot Its now a Ingrained Heritage of mine That I will Fight For. I now have Nieces and Nephews that I take Out Hunting and Shooting , Both of witch are NRA Members, Of coarse So am I.

To get on to the Main Reason Why I'm Writing you. I Love my Family and will Die to Protect them From harm. I am a Concealed Carry Permit Holder, and Carry a Pistol Every Where I go. My Best Friend also does and Many More in this State like me and Him Feel the same Way.
You Were Quoted Recently Saying :
Sen. Christine Kaufmann, D-Helena, said that loaded guns in homes cause more problems than they solve. She also said the "powerful gun lobby" bullies lawmakers into such legislation.""

In 2003 90% of house holds in MThad at least One Firearm.
Right Now I have 4 "Loaded' Firearms in my House, They have Been that way For Years. They are Useless Without Ammo..
Why is it that MT has a Lower Gun related Deaths than say DC. who had a 30 year Handgun Ban? Or say CA that has the Most Oppressive Gun Laws in the Country. If you want to Stop Crime, makelaws that Convict Criminals and Keep them In Jail. NO plea Bargains and Such. Law Abiding Citizens ARE Law Abiding!!

Just so you Know," I am The NRA" We the People Make up the NRA. That Powerful gun lobby isWe The People if it wasn't for Members there wouldn't be a NRA, sorry to be redundant, But you need to understand that!

DC vs Heller, Supreme CourtRuled That the2 Amendment is an Individual Right.
Did you Know that is Third time the Supreme Court has Ruled that? There is one other thing you need to understand about the 2 Amendment, 4 wordsat the end.

"A well regulated militia, Being Necessary to the Security of a Free state, the Right of thePEOPLE to Keep and Bear Arms, SHALL NOT BEINFRINGED"

Until you Go to a Range with Someone whoKnows about Guns and Pull the Trigger on One,and See for your self that Guns don't Kill People, You will never learnthat CriminalsKill People. Guns are tools Like a Spoon, Spoons Didn't Make Rosey O'donald Fat. Sorry Bad Joke!
Firearms are a Matter of Fact, Not Feelings!

James Madison (Democrat), You Know the 4th President, Said:
"The Ultimate Authority Resides in the People alone"
You are in Officebecause We put you there, Remember that.

Have you Read the Us Constitution and the State Constitution I have, Here is a little of MT's that should Interest you;

[font=Arial,Helvetica]Montana: "The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons." Mont. Const. art. II, 12.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica]MT GUNNY Email address
[/font]