• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The anti's are at it again!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I got a call late this afternoon from a DC area code. We often get calls from the DC area for our classes so I didnt think much of it.

The young lady said that she was thinking about getting a handgun for self-defense and she had asked different friends about their opinion on carrying a round in the chamber. She wanted to know what I thought. Not an unusual question as we get that all the time.

I explained to her that I would absolutely carry a gun with a round chambered. I explained the 21 foot rule and told her that in those precious few seconds, an unloaded gun cannot protect you. I further explained that if she was concerned about an accidental/negligent discharge, that she should choose a handgun that had a manual safety and afforded her the level of comfort that she needed. I also said that she should choose a holster that offered trigger guard protection. Reasonable, right?

Well, I just happened to look up the number she called from.....202-408-0061

THE COALITION TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE! ! !

I'll probably end up on their "bad American/gun nut list"...OH WELL! :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Turn about is fair play.

With a little creativity, a pro-gunner could call, say MMM, and ask "advice".

"My son is back from the military, after three tours in Irag,and we have a gun in the house. What should we do?"

Then just feed them along. Ask for statistics. Express "concerns" from an anti-gun parent. Etc. Boy, you ought to get some really juicy replies.

Make the call from VA to a VA number and you may even be able to record the conversation.

Then put the whole thing on YouTube with full disclosure that it wasa sting.

"What you are aboutto hear is how the anti-gunners do not trust..."

TFred

imported post

If I were you, and I were paranoid about such a group trying to destroy people who do what you do, I would keep a close eye on Google for the next few weeks to make sure nothing pops up from them quoting you in bits and pieces or completely out of context. I'd even probably submit a Google Alert search on your business name and your name if you gave it. That way if anything pops up, Google will send you an e-mail about it.

I don't know if it's legal for a person from DC to call a person in Virginia and record the call. Either way they can probably at least transcribe it and quote you, although if they do that without saying the interview was on the record, that is quite unethical, it would seem to me.

Shady ethics wouldn't exactly be new territory for these kinds of folks, but they have that "righteous justification" thing going for them that absolves all ethical violations.

TFred

Neplusultra

imported post

TFred wrote:
If I were you, and I were paranoid about such a group trying to destroy people who do what you do, I would keep a close eye on Google for the next few weeks to make sure nothing pops up from them quoting you in bits and pieces or completely out of context. I'd even probably submit a Google Alert search on your business name and your name if you gave it. That way if anything pops up, Google will send you an e-mail about it.

I don't know if it's legal for a person from DC to call a person in Virginia and record the call. Either way they can probably at least transcribe it and quote you, although if they do that without saying the interview was on the record, that is quite unethical, it would seem to me.

Shady ethics wouldn't exactly be new territory for these kinds of folks, but they have that "righteous justification" thing going for them that absolves all ethical violations.

TFred
A VA to VA call would be legal, DC to VA I believe is not! Unless they told you they were recording it, which would have to be in the recording with you acknowledging the recording. I'd follow up on it and if you find it anywhere record and note the instance of when and where it showed up and you'll have a case......

Neplusultra

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Turn about is fair play.

With a little creativity, a pro-gunner could call, say MMM, and ask "advice".

"My son is back from the military, after three tours in Irag,and we have a gun in the house. What should we do?"

Then just feed them along. Ask for statistics. Express "concerns" from an anti-gun parent. Etc. Boy, you ought to get some really juicy replies.

Make the call from VA to a VA number and you may even be able to record the conversation.

Then put the whole thing on YouTube with full disclosure that it wasa sting.

"What you are aboutto hear is how the anti-gunners do not trust..."
I see you think like me :^). If it's a VA to VA call you can record it and use it for what ever you want (with some limitations I may not know of). But I do know for a fact that you can record the conversation if you are a party to/in it. How far you can take it after that is another issue but I believe it's fair game. Now if you use it to ridicule them publicly that may be an issue (such as some shock jocks have done) but if you call just to find out info and are polite and not an ass about it I see no problem.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I'm not paranoid about the call. I'm honored that my little business came up on their radar!

In fact, I would have told them that I, like they, are against gun violence. I'm also against knife violence, baseball bat violence, and tire iron violence. If anyone tries to bring those types of violenceagainst me, then my Glock and I will be waiting for them! :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actually VA to DC is legal if the call originates in Virginia. If the call is Virginia to Virginia no issues. If the call originates in DC then all parties must agree to the recording, same for Maryland.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Actually VA to DC is legal if the call originates in Virginia. If the call is Virginia to Virginia no issues. If the call originates in DC then all parties must agree to the recording, same for Maryland.

Maybe the call was VA to VA and they just SPOOFED the CID. In this world of Telecom and Technology.. you can (or I can) do anything I want with a telephone number. :)

My take on the OP is maybe the person "heard something" in all the anti BS they work around and wanted to call an findout for themselves. I have personally converted anti's.. maybe Pro just did. Rather than call back and play their game.. I would say we stand strong, stay informed and answer the questions that all have to the best of our ability.. anti's, middle of the roaders and enthusiasts all the same.

Ed

richarcm

imported post

I wonder if the intent was to get a feel for how popular it may be for gun owners to carry with a round in the chamber. Then her fascist group could convince people that with so many guns being sold and so many gun owners carrying their guns with a round in the chamber there is likely a massive chance for accidental shootings. Therefore we must all unite behind Obama to ban guns as QUICKLY as possible!

Ever notice how everything has to be done RIGHT AWAY or there will be unthinkable consequences?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

richarcm wrote:
I wonder if the intent was to get a feel for how popular it may be for gun owners to carry with a round in the chamber. Then her fascist group could convince people that with so many guns being sold and so many gun owners carrying their guns with a round in the chamber there is likely a massive chance for accidental shootings. Therefore we must all unite behind Obama to ban guns as QUICKLY as possible!

Ever notice how everything has to be done RIGHT AWAY or there will be unthinkable consequences?
Well after all there is a chance of a massive "chain fire" incident with all those chambered rounds. You know when one goes off they all will go off.:banghead:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I got this today:

- - - -

[align=right] [/align]

[align=right]January 31, 2009 [/align]Friend of Public Safety,

We are so close to a win in the Senate! We need to call friends now to get our own Senators to support SB 1257. The target list is small. If you know anyone in the following districts, they must call or email by Monday morning. We expect the vote to be Monday or Tuesday. It is up to you to act now.

The target list includes:

Senators Blevins, Wagner, Watkins, Stosch, Edwards, Puckett, and Stuart.

Please send an email or call the Senator with a message like that below. Put this in your own words, but it must include a request to support SB1257.

[line]

Subject: Support SB1257 Vote for common sense laws to promote public safety

Dear Senator,

The law in Virginia currently requires federally licensed firearms dealers to conduct a background check on anyone attempting to purchase a firearm. Currently, there is an omission in the law for private sales at gun shows, where an unlicensed seller can sell any firearm to any person without requiring a background check. It is a loophole that allows convicted felons, juveniles, illegal aliens, and the mentally ill to purchase a weapon.

Senator Marsh has a bill, SB 1257, that will prevent sales to ineligible buyers. It only affect gun sales at gun shows. It is directed at gun purchasers who buy from unlicensed sellers and does not prohibit the sale, but only requires a background check to complete the sale. This background check only takes a few minutes and would be the same check that federally licensed dealers must complete to complete their sales. It has been reported out of committee favorably. The vote is expected on Monday, Feb 2. I urge you to support SB 1257.

Thanks for your help.

Name

Address

[line]

Your opinion matters!

Please contact your State Senator as soon as possible.

Peace,

Your friends with VACPS

Renegade

imported post

Don't worry - we have "friends" within many of the anti-gun organizations looking out for our best interests. Some of the stories I hear are nothing short of laughable!

G9M&P15

imported post

Uh, there are places on the internet where you can put up phone numbers, and bad things will happen.

202-408-0061 might just show up on one of those places. I wonder how.