Thread: Carry at Phoenix Zoo

Post imported post

Went to the Phoenix Zoo today and was suprised to see a sign that said weapons prohibited (in addition to numerous other items) but I did not see signs for weapon storage. If the Phoenix Zoo is a public entity and they do not provide weapons storage in accordance with the statutes, then they cannot prohibit weapons (I adjusted my mode of carry accordingly). Am I missing anything here????

Post imported post

Ive heard from quite a few people that if they have no weapon checking, or storage, then you can go in with the weapon, untill somone says otherwise, i may be wrong, but as i said, its what ive heard

Post imported post

That's what I thought. I didn't want to spoil my 2 year old's day so I CCed until I could get home and research the issue.

Post imported post

I have been to the Phoenix Zoo several times. Unfortunately, there is a sign posted at the entrance which prohibits the possession of firearms and other weapons.

However, the zoo is 100% within its right to do so. This might come as a surprise to many, but the Phoenix Zoo is a completely "privately owned, non-profit venture" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Zoo ). It has nothing to do with the city of Phoenix and does not receive any taxpayer funding (NOTE: the zoo did receive $2 million via a Phoenix municipal bond after the 2006 election cycle).

It is not uncommon for many museums/attractions in AZ that sound public to be privately owned. The Phoenix Art Museum is another example...