• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry is Legal - Now Being Taught Statewide

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Originally posted on the PAFOA site:

From the MPOETC training booklet, course 09-201, pg. 45 Uniform Firearms Act Update: "Open Carry". Question #1 What is "open carry"? Answer #1 Open carry can be defined as carrying a legal firearm, loaded or unloaded, on your person unconcealed, with or without a valid and lawfully issused license to carry a firearm.

Question #2 Is "Open Carry" legal in Pennsylvania? Answer #2 Yes, but with several exceptions: The Pennsylvania Uniform firearms Act is silent on the specific issuse of open carry. 6106 only prohibits carrying a firearm in a vehicle or concealed on or about one's person, except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, without a license and when no exemption applies.

Carrying a firearm unconcealed on one's person does not violate 6106. However, a person who engaging in "open carry" of a firearm violates 6106 when that person enters a vehicle with the gun in his possession and that person does not possess a valid and lawfully issued license to carry a firearm and is not exempt from licensing. Also, a firearm cannot be open carried in an area where firearm possession is generally restricted.

Steve in PA

imported post

The booklet will contain a lot of material, the part about OC being a very, very tiny part.

It usually has all the new changes to the crimes and vehicle code, new case law, yadda yadda. In a 50 page booklet you will have 1/2 page addressing OC.

david.ross

imported post

Woot :) So I shouldn't get severely unlawfully harassed like on the 4th of july 08. I'll just happen to be staying in PA for another wonderful 34 day in the coming summer.

Nice to know they'll finally be trained on open carry laws.

CowboyKen

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
The booklet will contain a lot of material, the part about OC being a very, very tiny part.

It usually has all the new changes to the crimes and vehicle code, new case law, yadda yadda. In a 50 page booklet you will have 1/2 page addressing OC.

Steve,

Even so, I would like to have a copy. It wouldn't hurt to be up to date on the rest of that stuff as well as being able to point to the section on open carry should it be appropriate.

Ken

Steve in PA

imported post

I'll see if I can grab an extra booklet when I take my updates. I keep all of mine, but lots of others get tossed.

CowboyKen

imported post

Steve in PA wrote:
I'll see if I can grab an extra booklet when I take my updates. I keep all of mine, but lots of others get tossed.

Thanks. If you do, e-mail me at krwagner@optonline.net and I will give you my address.

Ken

p.s.; Do you smoke cigars?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Shame he didn't add that kids soccor games are also OK. But wow actual state
document agreeing with the law.
If it wasn't that I love mountains and hate taxes I could move there.
Just wish I still had relatives so I would have a reason to visit.