• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's Been Put In The Situation?

PYRO PSR

imported post

ive been reading a few threads and have seen alot of people sayin that they have been OC'ing for years. have any of you ever been put in a situation where you had to use the firearm? and if i was ever put in the situation, g0d forbid, what would be a good reason to shoot? if i was bein chased? or approached in an aggresive manner? and if i were to kill the threat, what laws would be thrown at me?

Dahwg

imported post

13-404. Justification; self-defense
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a person is justified in threatening or using physical force against another when and to the extent a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force.
B. The threat or use of physical force against another is not justified:
1. In response to verbal provocation alone; or
2. To resist an arrest that the person knows or should know is being made by a peace officer or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, whether the arrest is lawful or unlawful, unless the physical force used by the peace officer exceeds that allowed by law; or
3. If the person provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force, unless:
(a) The person withdraws from the encounter or clearly communicates to the other his intent to do so reasonably believing he cannot safely withdraw from the encounter; and
(b) The other nevertheless continues or attempts to use unlawful physical force against the person.

13-405. Justification; use of deadly physical force
A person is justified in threatening or using deadly physical force against another:
1. If such person would be justified in threatening or using physical force against the other under section 13-404, and
2. When and to the degree a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force.

13-406. Justification; defense of a third person
A person is justified in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force against another to protect a third person if:
1. Under the circumstances as a reasonable person would believe them to be, such person would be justified under section 13-404 or 13-405 in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force to protect himself against the unlawful physical force or deadly physical force a reasonable person would believe is threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
2. A reasonable person would believe that such person's intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

That's the law. Simply because they're being aggressive does not justify you. There are other justifications as well such as preventing the commission of certain felonies. Do yourself a favor and get the Arizona Gun Owner's Guide by Alan Korwin.

Hiredgun30

imported post

this incident happened on 1-24-09 at approximately 3:45 am in mesa ata motel near DOBSON AND 8TH AVE. I got off work at 3:30 am and at 3:45 am i arrived at my room. when i drove up i did notice two males entering a vehicle about 100 yards away. Keep in mind i am required to wear body armor and was OCing a glock 31. I had no longer been in my room for 15 seconds before 2 males entered my room, my door wasnt fully shut because i needed my room to air out. I had about 2 seconds from the time i observed the males walking to my door to either close the distance and attept to shut my door or side step as i draw.. i side stepped, presented my glock 31 and pointed it at the first guy that entered my room. I could tell it scared the hell out him. He wasnt holding any weapons and looked intoxicated. I began issuing verbal commands to "get out of my F'ing room." I said it about 5 times. the second guy grabbed the first guy and they both got out of my room... unbenounced to me they were my neightbors who had just moved in earlier in the day. they had entered the wrong room and were intoxicated.I quickly locked my door, cut all the lights, chambered a round in my ar-15 and sat in the dark. i decided not to call police as they ended up being my neighbors.

it could have went bad in a hurry. at the time i honestly thought i was going to be robbed.

PYRO PSR

imported post

yeah i would have felt the same way. but luckily you handled it in a safe manner instead of letting fear take over, u know? close call though! thanks for sharing

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yeah... one guy was a bank robber makin' a break. 'Went for his pistol 'n I shot him. The next one was gonna part my hair with a pickaxe 'n I clocked him too. Both back in '77.

Then there was 'Nam... and suffice to say I put some ripples in their gene pool. (Close Air Support) with all manner of nasty guns 'n gadgets.

I have no problems unloading on anyone presenting a direct threat... andI'm not gonna engage in any conversations beforehand.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a person is justified in threatening or using physical force against another when and to the extent a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force.

A person is justified in threatening or using deadly physical force against another:
2. When and to the degree a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force.

A person is justified in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force against another to protect a third person if:
1. Under the circumstances as a reasonable person would believe them to be, such person would be justified under section 13-404 or 13-405 in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force to protect himself against the unlawful physical force or deadly physical force a reasonable person would believe is threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
2. A reasonable person would believe that such person's intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.
Of course, we all know that the anti-gunners don't consider any gun owner as being a reasonable person, right?

AZkopper

imported post

I fixed it for you (tongue in cheek)

Task Force 16 wrote:
A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, a person is justified in threatening or using physical force against another when and to the extent a reasonable ARIZONIAN would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful physical force.

2. When and to the degree a reasonable ARIZONIAN would believe that deadly physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly physical force.

1. Under the circumstances as a reasonable ARIZONIAN would believe them to be, such person would be justified under section 13-404 or 13-405 in threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force to protect himself against the unlawful physical force or deadly physical force a reasonable ARIZONIAN would believe is threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
2. A reasonable ARIZONIANwould believe that such person's intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.
To He11 with the Cali's and Illi's (spoken as a former Cali)