• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What happens if new ban goes into place?

Brandnew

imported post

I wasn't really into firearms before 2004, so I don't have any experience with how "assault weapons" were handled during the ban. What effect did the last ban have on parts manufacturing and distribution?

I know the law would make it illegal to manufacture magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds, that's not a question really. I would think that you could still get a part like an AR upper receiver with a flash suppressor since by itself, it doesn't classify as an "assault weapon". And I would expect that you could get different telescoping stocks too since by themselves they also don't classify the weapon as such.

So my question is this: If a new ban goes into play which is identical to the last one, how will ATF know which firearms had 2 of the 5 characteristics before the ban, and which ones were assembled from parts laying around after the ban?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Brandnew wrote:
I wasn't really into firearms before 2004, so I don't have any experience with how "assault weapons" were handled during the ban. What effect did the last ban have on parts manufacturing and distribution?

I know the law would make it illegal to manufacture magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds, that's not a question really. I would think that you could still get a part like an AR upper receiver with a flash suppressor since by itself, it doesn't classify as an "assault weapon". And I would expect that you could get different telescoping stocks too since by themselves they also don't classify the weapon as such.

So my question is this: If a new ban goes into play which is identical to the last one, how will ATF know which firearms had 2 of the 5 characteristics before the ban, and which ones were assembled from parts laying around after the ban?
So basically you are wanting to know, if a ban were put into place how you could build a then illegal gun?

Get what you want now, and bug the crap out of your elected officials about preventing any sort of ban.

Short answer is the old AWB involved weapons made before the ban which could then be legally maintained in an otherwise banned configuration, and weapons made after which could not. Anything made after a certain date (as verifiable checking the date of manufacture of the receiver) could only be built in a "post ban" configuration.

I'm sure a lot of illegal guns were assembled during the ban from parts running around. Best advice is get the guns now.

Brandnew

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
So basically you are wanting to know, if a ban were put into place how you could build a then illegal gun?
No I'm not proposing anything illegal. I just wanted to know how something like this could be regulated considering the complexity of it.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The short answer is it could only be dealt with on a case by case basis. It becomes a matter of "it's illegal only if you get caught."

ScorpioMk

imported post

so say an assault weapons ban passes, and you buy an ak/mp5 whatever flat and bend it in your garage, build a new rifle/pistol. theres no law on registering firearms in washington, so whos to say you didnt build it before the ban? or is there something in the ban that is going to make us register every firearm we own now that fits the ban? Ive been looking to flats and parts kits and am gonna build one soon (gotta sell a 240sx of mine first), but wondering if this is going to be a loophole in the ban to still have some things we want.

wrightme

imported post

ScorpioMk wrote:
so say an assault weapons ban passes, and you buy an ak/mp5 whatever flat and bend it in your garage, build a new rifle/pistol. theres no law on registering firearms in washington, so whos to say you didnt build it before the ban? or is there something in the ban that is going to make us register every firearm we own now that fits the ban? Ive been looking to flats and parts kits and am gonna build one soon (gotta sell a 240sx of mine first), but wondering if this is going to be a loophole in the ban to still have some things we want.
You don't likely have to worry about State. You are dealing with BATFE and Federal when you build firearms. I do not know the answer you want, but here is a "build thread" that may help you:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638505

Here is some ATF info: Building a Firearm
along with the ar.15 post that discusses the atf pdf.
Can I build it?

Wheelgunner

imported post

If you will not fight for your rights when you can easily win without bloodshed -- if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly -- then you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival.
There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves. -(Winston Churchill)