• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something I've been working on, feel free to hate away on it.

r6-rider

imported post

"This little old lady's husband died and left her with this WWII rifle she doesn't want. Why shouldn't she get a few bucks for it?" Gosh, $50 for what could be a priceless war relic or antique heirloom worth thousands? A weapon of no use to criminals, and no danger to her or anyone she knows? What a generous humanitarian you are for taking her valuable property and destroying it, in exchange for $50. Way to go, assholes. You're really doing us all a favor...

haha that was great. nice site man hopefully the sheeple will actually open their mind enough to read even a little bit of it

mpg9999

imported post

The solution is competition. Show up at the gun buy backs. If you see something you like, offer them more than what the police are offering.

Legba

imported post

Somehow I doubt the "no questions asked" policy would apply to anyone trying to out-bid them. They'd probably bust you for receiving stolen property - or worse.

-ljp

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's exactly how it went down, too. And my motivation for creating the website. ;-)

I'm sure my recent experience of being incarcerated for over a week at a mental institution 'because anyone who owns guns must be crazy' has nothing at all to do with me walking around with a sign at the Lakeland "buy back" with a sign that read "I pay more." ;-)

I wonder if that thread has been removed? I'm sure Grapeshot remembers, my google-fu isn't so hot on the iphone...

mpg9999

imported post

Legba wrote:
Somehow I doubt the "no questions asked" policy would apply to anyone trying to out-bid them. They'd probably bust you for receiving stolen property - or worse.

-ljp
I know at least one member in va has done it. I'd like to do give it a try at the next one.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've got a thread on here, with some pics of the tacticool intimidators, that happened to me a few months back in Lakeland, too.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Looks good for its audience.

You might consider changing the word a$$holes. Or re-writing the entire sentence. Maybe something along the lines of "This is borderline fraud." Or, "This is a con job, plain and simple. The gun-grabbers get to indulge their irrationality at the expense of people who may not know better, people who lose the actual value." Etc.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You're right. That's part of the "it needs work" part of the page. I started out just writing my thoughts as they came, and have been trickling downwards as I go... May do something about the Einstein quote and change that around a bit too.

I'm trying to make people think for themselves, not adopt my personal views. But since it all started out as my own thoughts and feelings, I'm gradually generic-izing it over time.

4armed Architect

imported post

Ixtow,
You are a courageous, clever and creative person. Great work on your gun buy-back competion effort (I remember reading that and enjoying it) and your work on putting this page (Buy back Scam page) together. Thank you fro you efforts to battle with the lunacy.
Now, attempted constructive criticism re the page:
  • It seems a bit too long and wordy. Try to synthesize the ideas in easy-to-read, quickly stated bullet points (sort of like I am trying to do.) you can always refer to another page or other cites if someone wants to research the idea further.
  • The bullet point or numbered reason format helps readers quickly scan the ideas presented without feeling like they have to digest or read too much. (While many readers on this site read a lot, remember who your target audience is.)
  • While I have not include pics to you, pics of some of your points would be nice. For example, add a pick of a nice, collectible WWII firearm when you make the point about a valuable collector firearm. This might let people get a clue. A pic that helps each argument would be great. A pic is worth a 1000 words.
Just a few thoughts. Great work. Great idea. Thanks for doing it. Once you get it the way you like it, I'll be passing it along.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Reading and thinking; if I have comments of merit, I'll let you know.

But I have had to enlarge the page to read the type.

On-screen, a sans serif font is much easier to read, and a slightly larger type than would be used in legal briefs is of benefit.

The last thing you want is for someone to avoid reading simply because it takes a little effort.

So far, I'm liking the content.

cynicist

imported post

I think you should also advise people to turn in guns worth less than the offered amount, buy more, and use the money to seek out other cheap guns, and ultimately end up with more money and/or guns.
And it will make the whole buyback idea look stupid.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Excellent, ixtow. Stay on the meds and you re coherent. However, just as certain dog foods make their own gravy, these gun buy-backs make their own jokes.

Henry Louis Mencken said "nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American People." Gun buy-backs (not to mention the late elections) bear that out nicely.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was locked out of my own account due to my web host's insistence on changing the password every 30 days, and the VERY complicated nature of the passwords they will allow me to use... anyway.

I have made some changes. It's still not as contiguous as I want it to be. I will be implementing some of your suggestions. Especially the bullet points.

Font size... Really? I hate large fonts that don't let me fit a lot of information on the page all at once. I wonder how many people fall on both sides of that fence? I get irritated when I have to scroll and the letters are huge... But I can see how those with bad eyes or bad monitors might not like it. Web browsers allow one to change font size on the fly very easily, but I wonder if those with bad eyes and bad monitors might likely populate the group of people who don't know that. So, point taken.

It gets a bit more disconnected the further down you go. I know it. I may condense it more using the bullet point suggestion. But I still want to give people the chance to read the deeper details and logic.

As for promoting the notion that people should take guns worth far less than the offered value, I have a plan to take it a step further than that. I do, on the page, mention early on that it is very easy to build cheap disposable guns at home. I'm going to offer, for sale, the parts and designs to do exactly that. Why take my word for it? See for yourself how easy it. 12ga zip gun, sub machine gun, pen gun, etc. Various improvised projectile weapons.