• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Dangerous Life Style

PYRO PSR

imported post

So the whole reason behind me wanting to pack a gun is (1) of course for my protection. (2) i am a music producer/rap artist for a local record label here in Arizona which means i go out to different venues to perform live. which also means that not only am i surrounded by other artists, these other artists are gang members or former gang members and pack guns also. about a month ago i was performing live in phoenix on 35th ave and camelback. an altercation happened and people started fighting. they shut the place down for the night which meant that everyone was now outside. so that bein said, everyone ran for their guns and another fight broke out which led to shootings. shots rang out from all around me, my girlfriend, her sister and my cousin. we jumped in the car and got away as soon as possible but its times like that where i wish i had protection on me. almost everytime i perform, something in that nature happens. so what im trying to get at is this, although im not in a gang, i am a rapper and do live a hard life but i am not in ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM a criminal and have never been convicted of any felonies or even have anything on my record. do you guys think its a good idea for me to strap up?

r6-rider

imported post

if thats the case id say get a CCW. personally i wouldnt want to display my gun if i KNEW everyone around me had one

Marco

imported post

There are criminal elements in all walks of life.
Dealing with a segment of people that are more concerned with image (street cred.) poses a real problem.

I would invest in a discreet BRV get a AZ permit and carry a potent caliber that you can effectively conceal, don't advertise that you arecarrying.

Please seek out qualified Firearms training beyond the basic CCW/CHP stuff, it pays dividends.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Dahwg

imported post

I agree with everything Agent19 said but I want to caution you about 1 thing. If the venues where you perform serve alcohol, you can not legally carry CCW or not. If you do, you will then be considered a criminal by the state of Arizona.

r6-rider

imported post

true i didnt think about the alcohol... maybe you should just hire me to be your bodyguard:D

also whats a BRV?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would suggest another line of work. Maybe look into changing genre for your talent. Rap has a notorious reputation for attracting the worst of our society. In my opinion, anyone that attends one of these rap performances is taking a big risk with their life.

PYRO PSR

imported post

those are all great ideas. i think ill just go for the CC. and yeah some of the venues serve alcohol. can i still have the gun in the car if the venue serves alcohol and would that still be legal? we do have body guards too but that night they werent with us. and i dont wanna look for another line of work or change my genre. i dont wanna let them be the reason why i leave or change my style. ive been around violence for quite awhile and been lucky to have made it but now i need to protect myself. the music is just in my blood and cant give it up! thanks to everyone for their ideas/opinions

r6-rider

imported post

yea you could leave it in your glove box or center console. i wouldnt though if theres a high chance my car would get broken into

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I recommend changing something about your job.

There is nothing at all wrong with being an artist. But lets think about this for a moment.

An artist contributes an effect to others, aesthetic or emotional of some sort, I would say. Fine, just fine. But who are the people to whom you are contributing? Apparently, there is a certain percentage of violent people.

An artist receives admiration and, hopefully, money from his audience. Fine, just fine. But who are the people from who you are receiving these? Apparently there is a certain percentage of violent people.

Do you really want to give and receive from that particular audience?

I know little about rap, but I have the impression that a certain amount of it inspires violence and othernegative behavior. Even if your own music does none of these things, it would seem other artistsat the same venue do.

Is this really the best outlet for your talent contributing to others? It would seem that even if your music is purely aesthetic and inspirational, the music of others in the same evening is likely to be drowning your effect in a sea ofbaser attitudes and emotions.

Why not findchannels where you canmake even greater contributions and receive even better rewards?

protector84

imported post

I carry a gun pretty much everywhere I go even in the environments that are mostly safe just because you never know what can happen. If you work in environments that you know are dangerous then obviously it is strongly recommended to carry necessary protection. In environments such as these it may be recommended to carry concealed so I would geta CCW permit if you don't have one already. Obviously the best advice is to avoid trouble to begin with so if there are some competitor musicians, fans, or questionable people you do not trust and who may want to harm you I would stay clear and avoid altercations unless absolutely necessary.

Places that serve alcohol generally forbid firearms on the property but there are exceptions. If you are performing and for a profit then you are more or less considered an employee and you are not there as a customer. Employees, staff, and other similar types of people can carry a firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol as long as they are not drinking and they have the permission of the licensee. Review title 4 for futher information. You may want to consult an attorney about this as well. Since you are there to perform you are in essense part of the establishment and are not considered a patron or customer so the general firearm prohibition does not always apply.

Regardless, I value my life more than what the state of Arizona believes and if I am in an environment where I know my life could be in danger and I can't carry a gun legally, I still may carry illegally because it is less of a problem to have to pay a steep fine and spend a day in court than it is to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair.

protector84

imported post

People's comments here about the OP changing jobs are quite unnecessary and irrelevant. He was not asking for advice on whether or not to keep doing what he does for work but was asking about how to stay safe on the job. We don't know the details about his work and he may be contracted with the record company and with this economy the way it is, suddenly stopping whatever is making you money and trying to find something else is not always very easy. Additionally, while not everyone may agree with all types of music or their lyrics, it is protected free speech and he has the right to distribute/perform his work without having to worry about being injured or killed. That is why we have the 2nd Amendment.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

PYRO PSR wrote:
So the whole reason behind me wanting to pack a gun is (1) of course for my protection. (2) i am a music producer/rap artist for a local record label here in Arizona which means i go out to different venues to perform live. which also means that not only am i surrounded by other artists, these other artists are gang members or former gang members and pack guns also. about a month ago i was performing live in phoenix on 35th ave and camelback. an altercation happened and people started fighting. they shut the place down for the night which meant that everyone was now outside. so that bein said, everyone ran for their guns and another fight broke out which led to shootings. shots rang out from all around me, my girlfriend, her sister and my cousin. we jumped in the car and got away as soon as possible but its times like that where i wish i had protection on me. almost everytime i perform, something in that nature happens. so what im trying to get at is this, although im not in a gang, i am a rapper and do live a hard life but i am not in ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM a criminal and have never been convicted of any felonies or even have anything on my record. do you guys think its a good idea for me to strap up?
I agree that you should get your CCW. I just passed my class today! There are multitude of benefits. For one, you learn about when to use deadly force...this will be key to your scenarios that could possible arise around these venues you are involved in.

-----------------------
Local Forums - Arizona Defense Group - http://www.xboxjedi.com/defense

1FASTC4

imported post

Perhaps you should choose a lifestyle that doesn't expose you to the kind of random violence you mentioned.

PYRO PSR

imported post

i cant just change my lifestyle so easily. its what gets food on the table and clothes on my baby's back. its just what i was shown and the road i chose.

Hiredgun30

imported post

hey pyro.. im kinda in the same situation in a way..kinda... i work at a hotel where i am required to chase pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers, and junkies of every kind off of property.. i have had some dangerous encounters from hells Angels members to pissed off pimps mad because i am effecting their bank roll...

I cant change life style/ career path so easily either....

my advice to you is to train, train, train...become a master with your pistol..

i dont worry about the people i chase off property so much anymore.... i train, doing hundreds of reps of drawing, presenting and dry firing.....

i was amazed how i did a six point draw without thinking and dont even remember engaging my crimson trace laser. i have practiced it so much that its "mechanical" for me..
my wife says i am"obsessed" with practicing...lol...

ca2az96

imported post

PYRO PSR wrote:
i cant just change my lifestyle so easily. its what gets food on the table and clothes on my baby's back. its just what i was shown and the road i chose.

I am not trying to be rude PYRO, but there is an old saying..."If you lay down with Dogs, you get Fleas". That Rap/Hip-Hop Culture glorifies Gang Violence. You don't strike me as the kind of individual that would support those ideas. I have a wife and child as well, and I would never intentionally place myself in a position that would jeopardize my being aroundfor them. That culture will not serve you well, (Jail, Drugs, Dead, etc).

crisisweasel

imported post

I think there's a lot of positive underground rap that is not in any way gang or crime related (though people who hate rap are rarely exposed to this alternative, but you know what I mean).

That said, I have no suggestion here other than to draw attention to the way American "gun culture" perceives criminality.

This thread is an example of the injustice of talking about "gun culture" (mostly a left-wing term) as if it were one thing - as if posturing criminals and mostly right wing suburban or rural types have anything whatsoever in common.

This thread, and the responses, are yet another indication of that. Everyone here a gun owner, and mostly everyone is appalled by the criminality hip-hop all too often tries to sell its audience on.

That said, and addressing stereotypes of gun owners in general, I have been in gun stores where African Americans or Mexican Americans have come in wanting to buy a gun. Predictably, at least in the purchases I've witnessed, these are responsible individuals, and I have never seen even the most redneck looking ex-marine guy behind the counter be anything less than enthusiastic about helping these people - minorities - select a firearm.

It must be interesting for you to be involved in hip hop subculture and not be a criminal, and I certainly hope you don't pose as one when you're actually performing.

Hip hop did not start as a criminal thing (that happened in the late 80s - but even then most crime-oriented rap, until NWA came along, had a kind of moral at the end - witness for example Eric B and Rakim's superb "Know the Ledge"), and the influence of gangs, pimps, and crime in general, has only devalued and disgraced what from time to time can be a defensible, and even enlightening art form.

I can't tell you what to do, but you have an opportunity here to be a positive counter-example to the "thug life" mentality that unfortunately pervades (mostly commercial) hip hop today. I hope you find some way of being true to your art, and being a responsible, law-abiding, peaceful, and armed individual as well.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
SNIP I can't tell you what to do, but you have an opportunity here to be a positive counter-example to the "thug life" mentality that unfortunately pervades (mostly commercial) hip hop today. I hope you find some way of being true to your art, and being a responsible, law-abiding, peaceful, and armed individual as well.
+1. Very well said.

And, welcome to OCDO!!!!!