• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If Texas won't allow Open Carry its time to move to Arizona

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've always wanted to move to Colorado or Arizona.. It looks like I may have a reason soon.

I am losing faith in our state government to do the right thing. When I move it will be because of principle. It simply comes down to a government wanting to keep restrictions on law abiding citizens that are in the constitution. These politicians are obviously very arrogant in thinking they have the right to limit the people on rights already given to them.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I would give it some more time...these things take a while to get done. Also, if it fails the first time around, it'd have to wait until next year.

Personally,I won't be staying in Texas more than another 3-4 years (even though it has nothing to do with whether we get OC passed in that time or not), then I'll be moving to NM (which could use one more conservative instead ofanother liberal), or perhaps even VA...both of which are Open Carry states.

-- John D.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I dont' think a move is necessary at this point, even if open carry legislation goes nowhere. The likelihood of a lawsuit is very high if unlicensed open carry isnt passed.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
...The likelihood of a lawsuit is very high if unlicensed open carry isnt passed.

If that is the case, a lawsuit should have happened before now. Really, a lawsuit should have been filed in every state that doesn't allow unlicensed open carry.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A lawsuit should have been filed from Day One when the illegal CONCEALED CARRY permit system was put into effect...but that didn't happen, either. And even as ofthis date, no onehas challengedthe "right" of "the state" to give us permission to carry concealed.

There just aren't ANY "gun people" actually willing to "make a federal case" (literally) out of this issue.

And if there aren't any gun people who will make a PEACEFUL attempt -- via the court system -- to change things, they sure won't if it comes to FIGHTING (taking up arms, resisting "the state") for these rights...they just won't do it. So much for those who say "you can have my gun bullets first," or "from my cold dead fngers," etc. It's all BS.

Apparently, the fear "law abiding citizens" have of becoming outlaws (criminals) for disobeying "the law" -- even if it's a BAD law, unconstitutionaland therefore ILLEGAL -- is so great that the state does what it wants and we aid, abet, condone and finally obey.

-- John D.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A federal lawsuit would have gone nowhere until Heller, even though the 5th circuit had opined an individual right in Emerson. Now that the USSC has federally protected the 2nd amendment, a case can be made using Murdock v. PA to force TX in to making unlicensed OC unlawful or removing the license for concealed.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you get arrested for carrying "illegally" and become a criminal, especially if you're in jail, you then (counter) sue the state and do it on THEIR dime, since you're a prisoner with all those perks they have, one of which is you can bring lawsuits (even if most of them are just BS). If prisoners can sue for what kind of peanut butter a prison serves (or does not serve), then an inmate can sue for something more important. On the state's dime. Doesn't get any better than that. But it's never been done. No volunteers to sue or be a test case.

As for Heller, it HAD to have been started at some point to get where it did, so it COULD have been done earlier.

And there is always mass Civil Disobedience to protest a bad law, but most so-called gun-owners would NEVER stand up to do that.

But no sense in arguing about it now...I won't. Besides, I'm tired of people saying whatCAN'T be done instead of looking to find a way how something CAN be done.

I'm just saying no one will file suit or be a test case, despite all the rhetoric railing against anti-gun legislation and Big Brother trashing the 2nd Amendment, as it clearly INFRINGES on the RKBA...but nothing is ever DONEabout it.And I still don't see anyone challenging the CC permit system which began long ago...plenty of time to challenge that but it never happened.

That's just how it is with most of us. Few if any stand.

-- John D.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

It is the greatest state... But it appears as though it could be fading. When people start blocking progress we have a problem.

Why hasn't anyone already carried openly to become the test case?

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
I think "progress" is the problem...

*cue one of Obama's USSR-esque posters*

The problem is that the "progress" has been going in the wrong direction.

Well back to the game... Half-time is over.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SilentKTexan,

For one thing, because it will take a person with lots of guts and perseverance to go through all the trials (literally) and tribulations being a test-case will entail. And if they have a family, it could be even rougher. It'd be better for a single person to do it...preferably, a retired person with monthly retirement/pension income so they can't get fired for being in such "trouble with the law" (an employer would probaby fire him/her).

But how manypeople are there nowadayswith such character?

I have to giveMuhammad Ali (back in1967) credit for going to jail rather than going into the service, but how many people stand up for what they believe in, especially if its going to cost them something (even if it isn't money-related)? Like their freedom for a while, getting hate-mail, being "infamous," or whatever the news media might try to do to them.

So it'll take someone who is serious enough about the RKBA who is prepared to go through all that...or someone who is caught carrying WITHOUT a permit, as I said earlier, and then he/she may as well take it further. But to volunteer to be a test-case, few if any will do that.

But some people DO carry regardless...without a permit. It's a shame though thatdecent citizensshould be more afraid of "the law" thancriminals.

-- John D.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Come on over. Happy to take any gun-friendly Texans. As a matter of fact, I'm a native Texan, but lived here the last 20 years.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Cloudcroft,

Well I am single, really don't have any family because my parents cared more about drugs than my brother and I. I've been on my own since I was 13 or so.

I do have a great job and would hate to lose it. But I am so damn angry about what is going on in this country that I love. I feel like my hands are tied behind my back. I am seriously considering doing this.

I need more time to do some research. I'm tired of feeling helpless as a citizen in my own country. I'm tired of seeing politicians destroy this country and what it was built on. I'm tired of political correctness and the power it gives to the politicians. I'm tired of feeling like I am one of the few Patriots left in this country.

Every time I hear the National Anthem my eyes tear up.. Why aren't more people like that?

Why does it take so much to get people to finally stand up for what is right?

I do fear being this person that goes forward with this and pro-gun people not standing up behind me because its not politically correct.

As you said, the person that would go forward with this would go through a lot of trials and tribulations. But so would the people that support this individual. In my opinion it takes almost the same level of guts to publicly show support.

I just don't know if there are enough people out there that will publicly support someone who did this.

A best friend of mine from high school died in Iraq on April 27, 2007. This memory is my fuel to do something good for my country. It's just going to take some time for me to figure out what.

I had planned to run for a State Rep in the next election... I just don't know what the plan is.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

After some research and legal consultation I believe this case can be won in the courts without jeopardizing anyone.

It's always best if you can prove a point and provoke change if you can do so legally. But it will always remain as an option.

More coming soon...