Post imported post

General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 5578

January Session, 2009

LCO No. 1643

Referred to Committee on Public Safety and Security

Introduced by:

REP. HAMZY, 78th Dist.

AN ACT PROHIBITING MUNICIPAL REGULATION OF FIREARMS.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That the general statutes be amended to prohibit the adoption of a municipal ordinance concerning the right to carry a firearm.

Statement of Purpose:

To prohibit local regulation of firearms.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Out and out total state preemption I hope - no grandfathering or exceptions.

Would be frosting on the cake if municipality were to pass an illegal ordinance, they would have to pay the legal fees and court costs for anyone charged under that illegal ordinance.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

He is also co-sponsering this bill:

General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 6029

January Session, 2009

LCO No. 422

Referred to Committee on Judiciary

Introduced by:

REP. PISCOPO, 76th Dist.

REP. HAMZY, 78th Dist.

AN ACT CONCERNING THE USE OF DEADLY PHYSICAL FORCE IN DEFENSE OF A PERSON.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That section 53a-19 of the general statutes be amended to delete the requirement that a person retreat prior to using deadly physical force in certain circumstances to defend himself or herself or a third person from the use or imminent use of deadly physical force or the infliction or imminent infliction of great bodily harm.

Statement of Purpose:

To adopt a "Stand Your Ground" law by deleting the requirement that a person retreat before using deadly physical force in certain circumstances to defend himself or herself or a third person.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Thanks JUMPMASTER

Both extremely good ideas - what chance of success do they have do you think?

Just a suggestion or two if I may.
    Edit your profile to show your state. I helps in responding to posts sometimes & the mods appreciate it. Ex: it would have kept me from scrolling up to the top to see to what state this applied.
    &
    On posts like these, a short descriptive paragraph with a link to the full bill so that all of the detail can be read and considered - there has been bad wording corrected or better suggested by readers occasionally. I know it can by googled - just saying.

Hopefully these will proceed and be enacted to the betterment of us all. Letter and email campaigns to representatives wouldn't be a bad idea as well as one of thanks to the sponsor(s).

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Awesome, looks like your Rep Hamzy understands what this country was founded upon! I'll be writing to my reps to ask them to support this bill. My reps are pinheads though and probably won't but I'll get them to at least admit their lilly-liveredness on paper.

Post imported post

This bill as well as other firearms related bills has been sent to the sub-committe on Public Safety and Security.

There is also a proposed bill to make it illegal to sell long guns privately and to add long guns to CGS 29-28 (you would have to get a pistol permit to purchase a long gun and to take it outside your home just like they do to hand guns right now) if found to be unsuitable (DPS can call you unsuitable at their pleasure and subjectyou to wait out an appeal hearing at 2-3 years currently)you risk losing your right to carry or purchase a long gun. Are you reading this hunters???

To see these proposals go to this link: http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/CGABillInf...nfoDisplay.asp

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/CGABillInf...nfoDisplay.asp

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/CGABillInf...nfoDisplay.asp

To send an email address to the members of the Committee on Public Safety and Security copy this into your address block: anthony.damelio@housegop.ct.gov; anthony.guglielmo@cga.ct.gov; betty.boukus@cga.ct.gov; christopher.caruso@cga.ct.gov; clark.chapin@housegop.ct.gov; daily@senatedems.ct.gov; ed.jutila@cga.ct.gov; ernest.hewett@cga.ct.gov; hector.robles@cga.ct.gov; jason.perillo@housegop.ct.gov; jim.shapiro@cga.ct.gov; karen.jarmoc@cga.ct.gov; linda.orange@cga.ct.gov; lou.esposito@cga.ct.gov; minnie.gonzalez@cga.ct.gov; peggy.sayers@cga.ct.gov; penny.bacchiochi@housegop.ct.gov; stephen.dargan@cga.ct.gov; steve.mikutel@cga.ct.gov; stillman@senatedems.ct.gov; timothy.larson@cga.ct.gov

Post imported post

I contacted my State Rep Tom Reynolds of the 42nd district (Ledyard/Montville) concerning the 3bills mentioned here. He responded favorably to our concerns. He was once given an "A" by the NRA for 2nd Ammendment issues.

He's good on gun-rights, despite being a Dem.

Cheers,