• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taxes are here... and I need a new gun!

Glockguy

imported post

Soo Iv Already Got a glock 27.40 Cal that I carry.... And just bought a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12ga, for my house... But Id really like a compact or a subcompact 1911 style handgun... But i dont wanna pay out the ass for one.... Does anyone have any suggestions on one that's around the $500 range?

LanceOregon

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Soo Iv Already Got a glock 27.40 Cal that I carry.... And just bought a Mossberg 500 Tactical 12ga, for my house... But Id really like a compact or a subcompact 1911 style handgun... But i dont wanna pay out the ass for one.... Does anyone have any suggestions on one that's around the $500 range?

Magazines for high capacity pistols are going to be outlawed again later this year when the new Assault Gun Ban is past. If you buy anything in the next couple of months, get a few high cap mags for any pistol that holds over 10 rounds that you may be interested in owning in the future.

Once a bill gets introduced and starts to be considered by the Congress, the supply of high cap mags will quickly dry up, just as we have seen happen to AR-15's already.

If you don't care about ever owning any high cap guns, though, then this is nothing for you to worry about. This may very well be the last chance for new owners to get mags for such pistols.

Same goes for an AR-15 If you think that you may ever want to get one down the road, grab a few magazines now while you still can.

Glockguy

imported post

Wait so does this Mean that hand Guns that holdover 10 rounds, (Such as the glock 17 which hold 17 rounds i believe?) are gonna be banned and we are no longer gonna be allowed to buy them??

LanceOregon

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Wait so does this Mean that hand Guns that holdover 10 rounds, (Such as the glock 17 which hold 17 rounds i believe?) are gonna be banned and we are no longer gonna be allowed to buy them??

Well, the old Assault Weapons bill outlawed any new manufacturing or importation of magazines able to hold over 10 rounds. Before the ban was lifted in 2004, Glock 17 mags were selling for $125.00, even $150 each. The old ban only outlawed new manufacturing, and did not ban the sale of mags already made. But supply dried up, and that caused prices to go insane.

Any new ban will at least do that. It could potentially be much stronger, as numerous Democratic leaders in the Senate have bitterly complained that the old law had too may "loopholes" in it. The Republicans are certainly powerless currently to block anything that the Democratic majority wants right now. If you have been following the actions of the new Congress the past few weeks since it opened, that has become most evident indeed.

I'm rather doubtful that any attempt will be made at all to ban new sales of pistols that can hold high cap mags. That would be a huge burden to place on gunmakers. They would have to retool a lot of manufacturing equipment to modify their guns to not accept the mags. And then they would have to come up with new 10 round magazine designs that would work with the modified guns. If something like that was attempted, gun owners across our nation would be absolutely livid and outraged.

It is simply much easier to just target the high cap magazines.

So at the very least, we can expect prices on high cap mags to skyrocket soon, once a bill is introduced. And with so much panic buying going on lately, shortages could even possibly crop up quickly. Just try to find an AR-15 available for sale anywhere right now. And if you do find one, prices are most definitely up.

So if you have some extra money and want to make a good long term investment now, my advice is to buy high cap mags, while they are still relatively affordable and still available for sale. CDNN Sports and Gunbroker.com are good places to buy mags:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

http://gunbroker.com/

The Magpul brand magazines that I really like for the AR-15 have jumped $10 in price since Obama's election, and are now much harder to find too. Even Glock mags have jumped $5 in price from what they were before the election. Mags for my Beretta PX4 have jumped $10 in price since November, if one can actually find them now. And I just checked CDNN, and they are now out of Glock 17 mags at present, but have Glock mags for several other models available for sale.

Shoot, I just checked a couple more big dealers like budsgunshop.com, and they are out of most Glock mags too. Looks like high cap pistols mags may very soon be the next thing to have availability dry up.

Glockguy

imported post

Im Not talking about Magazines... Im talking about the Gun its Self.. Are we not going to be able to purchase a gun that holds more then 10 rounds in it if this law is passed?

lowone

imported post

if its the same as last time, the guns will come with 10rnd mags... you can always buy other higher capacity mags for the gun. for some gun mags its as simple as replacing the existing mag follower or spring backstop/plate with one with less/more plastic to switch between round counts.

most gun (not all) manufacturers have 10rnd or less versions of their mags for sale if they sell guns in states like California, so unless something like the above mentioned happens (and the guns are changed to no longer accept the same style mags as their existing higher capacity counts are) it is trivial for gun makers to put 10rnd mags in with all new produced guns.

boom

imported post

I'd get another G27, man.Good way to get a few more magazines.I like the G30 myself. Carried the same one for the last 9 yrs and just got another for $529. I also used to have that Mossburg and replaced thatfor $309.

SteveInAshand

imported post

Used: Star..... FireStar or Star PD, They are no longer made anymore but zillions of them are at pawn shops and gunbroker .com for 350 bucks one in A+ shape.

I am highly experienced with both the firestar and the PD model, You can bet your life on a Star, they are solid as a rock, decent looking, easy to intuitivly function, good ergo's for small hands, compact, high quality fit & finish and ultra value in a Colt like but non exact clone.

The FireStar is heavy, the PD is light real light weight , its a matter of ergonimics in each one because they both feel different due to many minor differences but small hands love them both.

Try and find a Glock in 45, You can find one for 450 to 500 in a pawn shop used in clean shape I am sure. I just bought a G27 in 9 for my lady friend for 450 3 months ago almost brand new in the box with all the factory sruff in a pawn shop for 450.

And as Mossad Ayoob says when the Clinto AWB comes back for good You can seel a few of your Glock mags for $ 100 each or your spare Glock for $1000 !!!

Mite I try and convince you to buy a wheel gun like a Ruger SP 101 or GP 100 in 357 because it can act as a second gun your wife or youngsters can shoot with 38's it in, in an emergancy with no need to do anything but sqweeze.

adamsesq

imported post

So just for giggles, if you could get an of the standard (not C) glocks for $400/each brand new with two mags as investments just in case the above speculations are right, how much would you beg/borrow/steal to do so and which models would you get?

-adamsesq

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

i went to buy a para ordnance p12 and i got "delayed" by the state pigs for some reason, and guess what. they don't have to tell you.

**** EM. hopefully my government masters will allow me to buy a pistol in the next couple of days.

ps: **** em

adamsesq

imported post

Delayed? Assuming its Oregon go back in 3 days and get it. It could be something as innocuous as their computer being down or a confusion on identities.

-adamsesq

boom

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
So just for giggles, if you could get an of the standard (not C) glocks for $400/each brand new with two mags as investments just in case the above speculations are right, how much would you beg/borrow/steal to do so and which models would you get?
This is my response, for some reason it is still highlighted:
Firstly,I would be pretty pissed because I didn't think you could even get one second hand for $400. For giggles,I am assuming these have fixed sights. I had heard that there are Military/LE discounts or something but wouldn't want to be accused of initiating a straw purchase either. My understanding is that wouldn't apply to someone within your state whois legal tocarry though. That said, i would want a G21 full frame .45 and a G17 9mm. The G17 comes with the high capacity mags and it would be nice to have something around in that caliber. I would be looking for the 33 round magazines also to have around. I would actually like both those guns with the compensator.

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Did you recently Move or change Addy? If you did then they will delay you to verify everything...
yea i did, that must be it.

still costs me money to drive back and forth to the store and all this hassle for no reason. another example on how these bullshit laws only inconvenience people and do nothing to stop criminals.

adamsesq

imported post

Good job Paul - let us know what you got! I am thinking a G30 for my "investment" pistol. Maybe a year from now I can sell it for $1000 or more :D

-adamsesq

boom

imported post

I really like the G30, it fits nicely in a pocket. Can you seriously get one for $400? I thought I did well at $529 + 6% tax. Of course the 10 rd mags don't really qualify as high capacity. I think of it as a matter of quality as opposed to quantity, especially forthe size and weight.

adamsesq

imported post

boom wrote:
I really like the G30, it fits nicely in a pocket. Can you seriously get one for $400? I thought I did well at $529 + 6% tax. Of course the 10 rd mags don't really qualify as high capacity. I think of it as a matter of quality as opposed to quantity, especially forthe size and weight.
I know the 9/40/357s are $396. It looks like the 10s and 45s are $465 and the 45GAPs are somewhere inbetween. Its under Glock's Homeland Security Discount program.

-adamsesq