• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun question

wheelerXD

imported post

i was wondering if you had a 9mm version if you could swap the barrel and mags for .357 if it would work? thanks to any one who can help me answer

og556

imported post

The 9MM P-Series Sigs can not be converted to .357 Sig or .40 S&W. The frame, locking block, and I believe the extractor and breech face are different.

However I believe you can buy a .40 S&W or .357 Sig model and convert it to run all three calibers. Although at that point I would just recommend a .357 Sig model with the .22 conversion kit.

If you pick up a .40 S&W or .357 Sig model you can swap factory barrels with little or no fitting between these two with no issues whatsoever and the mags are the same.

I have owned a 9MM P226 and currently own the P229R 9MM model and I love these guns.

If you end up with one of the larger calibers I would recommend the .22 conversion kit to save some money for practice down the road.

wheelerXD

imported post

thanks I was just wondering since i went down to VA arms to get a sig and they were out of the .357 sig so i bought the 9 mm since i wanted somethin other then .40 but thanks for the help

Sleepless

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
.22 conversion kit is also available for the 226.
Just remember that the .22 conversion kit doesn't automatically lock-up the slide when it is empty so make sure to count how many rounds you have shot and how many you have remaining in the magazine.

Does anybody have any ideas why it is unable to lock-up after it is empty??

og556

imported post

If you end up with a .22 conversion kit it would be wise to invest in .22 snap caps for the mags. Load one .22 snap cap as the last round in every .22 mag because you do not want the .22 conversion kit firing pin to strike an empty chamber.

If you live in NoVa and you would like to try a P229 in 9MM DA/SA let me know.

The reason the .22 conversion kit doesn't lock back is because the follower of the conversion magazine never engages the slide stop. It is unfortunately part of the design of the kit.

Gunny5821

imported post

wheelerXD wrote:
thanks I was just wondering since i went down to VA arms to get a sig and they were out of the .357 sig so i bought the 9 mm since i wanted somethin other then .40 but thanks for the help

I live in Richmond, can someone point me in the right direction for VA ARMS. Thanks ~~~ Gunny

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:
wheelerXD wrote:

I live in Richmond, can someone point me in the right direction for VA ARMS. Thanks ~~~ Gunny

OP: You're better off with the 9, in my opinion, I'd stick with it - you can get some 17 round magazines made by MecGar.

From Richmond: I-95 N to Falmouth, follow 17 N to 28; NE on 28 (a right-turn in Bealeton in front of a POPEYE's); After you cross the railroad tracks in Manassas, VA Arms will be in a small strip mall on your L. OR take the Dumfries Exit off of I-95 and take 605 W to 234; N on 234 to Manassas. I prefer the former because it's more direct; others like to stay on Shirley Hghwy because it's faster. I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

http://www.virginiaarms.com/index.html

Chuckles

imported post

I know the whole conversion kit sounds kind of cool and all, but I am not a big fan. For $300-400, you can get an new Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark anyway. I'd much rather go this way than messing with something like a $700-800 P226.

acrimsontide

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
I know the whole conversion kit sounds kind of cool and all, but I am not a big fan. For $300-400, you can get an new Ruger Mark III or Browning Buckmark anyway. I'd much rather go this way than messing with something like a $700-800 P226.
My thinking exactly. Better to have two pistols for close to the same money, at least in my opinion