• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro in Hampton

Zero4910

imported post

Earlier today I was at the Bass Pro in Hampton looking for a gun safes and after about 20 minutes of walking around AND also being helped by a store employee working behind the gun counter, another member of the staff from behind the counter said to me, "You will have to either cover that up or check you weapon in the front of the store."

No where on the outside could I find a warning about weapons (in case you are thinking they might not allow them)

I was carrying a Taurus PT 24/7 .40 in a black Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster. I have my CCW so I didn't mind covering it with my shirt, but I thought i;d let everyone know they might approach you about...

Now I just need to invest in a voice recorder....

(This is not meant to 'knock' employees from Bass Pro, the gentleman that asked me to conceal it or check it wasn't rude about it, but he did say it sternly)

-adam

Virginian683

imported post

I open carried there and bought ammo. Also looked at their knives for 10-15 minutes. Neither the greeter nor the person working in the department said anything except to ask if they could help.

Of course, that was more than a year ago.

Personally I think when you get a "tough guy" or somebody who "knows guns" telling you to "cover that up," what they really mean to say is:

"Can you cover that up, because I perceive it as a threat to my masculinity since I don't have the balls to do it myself."

Zero4910

imported post

Well thinking about it more now, it was prolly something personal for the guy, cause i've OCed there before -- even with another friend who was OCing...

The greeter never said anything to me and neither did the first employee I talked to.

-adam

mobeewan

imported post

I frequent the Bass Pro in Hampton. There is a sign to the left of the greeter and turn stiles over by asupport column that looks like a tree trunkandnear to the customer service desk. It has been there at least a couple years. I believe it basically states firearms have to be checked at the firearms counter unless you have a permit to carry concealed. The sign is about 20 x 16 with at least 1 inch letters. You have to look to notice it, but it is visible.

About 3 weeks ago I was talking to one of the sales people at the firearms counter about 1911 pistols and showed him the STI 2011 I was carrying concealed. There had also been a state trooper looking at firearms with her manly looking girlfriend. Nothing was said about me carrying and the salesman seemed interested in my pistol and said he was going to look up STI's web site when he got home.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

The employee was mistaken.

Bass Pro's corporate policy is that they follow the laws of the state. In Va, open carry and concealed carry are both legal. The sign that discusses checking your guns and locking them is intended for guns that are carried in a case for whatever reason, not a handgun that you carry on your person for self-defense.

Taken from another OCDO thread, butthe same applies in Va.- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16542&forum_id=65&highlight=bass+pro+nevada

My name is Steve Kuhn. I am the Director of Loss Prevention for [highlight= #ffff88]Bass[/highlight] [highlight= #88ffff]Pro[/highlight] Shops. The policy concerning concealed carry and open carry are the same. Both methods of carrying a firearm in our stores is permitted as long as it is lawful. In the case of [highlight= #88ff88]Nevada[/highlight] both are andchecking your firearm is not required. I have contacted the Loss Prevention Manager in the Vegas store about this situation and he has assured me that he will personally make sure allDoor Greeters are properly trained and know that open carry is lawful and does not require the firearm to be checked. If youfind a problem there again please feel free to send me an e-mail or call my office directly. My direct number is 417 873-4796.

tsannicolas

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Bass Pro's corporate policy is that they follow the laws of the state. In Va, open carry and concealed carry are both legal. The sign that discusses checking your guns and locking them is intended for guns that are carried in a case for whatever reason, not a handgun that you carry on your person for self-defense.

Taken from another OCDO thread, butthe same applies in Va.- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16542&forum_id=65&highlight=bass+pro+nevada

My name is Steve Kuhn. I am the Director of Loss Prevention for [highlight= #ffff88]Bass [highlight= #88ffff]Pro Shops. The policy concerning concealed carry and open carry are the same. Both methods of carrying a firearm in our stores is permitted as long as it is lawful. In the case of [highlight= #88ff88]Nevada both are andchecking your firearm is not required. I have contacted the Loss Prevention Manager in the Vegas store about this situation and he has assured me that he will personally make sure allDoor Greeters are properly trained and know that open carry is lawful and does not require the firearm to be checked. If youfind a problem there again please feel free to send me an e-mail or call my office directly. My direct number is 417 873-4796.
Awesome. thanks for this!

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

ProShooter wrote:

My name is Steve Kuhn. I am the Director of Loss Prevention for [highlight= #ffff88]Bass [highlight= #88ffff]Pro Shops. The policy concerning concealed carry and open carry are the same. Both methods of carrying a firearm in our stores is permitted as long as it is lawful. In the case of [highlight= #88ff88]Nevada both are andchecking your firearm is not required. I have contacted the Loss Prevention Manager in the Vegas store about this situation and he has assured me that he will personally make sure allDoor Greeters are properly trained and know that open carry is lawful and does not require the firearm to be checked. If youfind a problem there again please feel free to send me an e-mail or call my office directly. My direct number is 417 873-4796.
Very nice. I posted in the Hampton Roads thread, but maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago I carried openly in Bass Pro for probably 2 hours, bought something, etc and had no comment or stares from employees, but did have a group of customers (seemed to be a grown family) that were staring at me like I'd just kicked their dog every time I ran into one of them and then I checked out behind them, much to their displeasure.

wylde007

imported post

I can't for the life of me understand how ANYBODY could be at one of the largest outdoor sporting retailers (Cabela's being another) and be surprised to see someone OCing.

It's patently ridiculous. They probably sell more 30-06 and 308 long-guns than any other group of suppliers, yet someone carrying a personal defense weapon would be eyed suspiciously or warily?

What kind of person would segregate those two situations in their mind, finding fault with one and none with the other? It's ludicrous.

[line]The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid.
Novus Ordo Seclorum

TFred

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand how ANYBODY could be at one of the largest outdoor sporting retailers (Cabela's being another) and be surprised to see someone OCing.

It's patently ridiculous. They probably sell more 30-06 and 308 long-guns than any other group of suppliers, yet someone carrying a personal defense weapon would be eyed suspiciously or warily?

What kind of person would segregate those two situations in their mind, finding fault with one and none with the other? It's ludicrous.

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Probably the same kind of people who are averse to the idea of carrying while camping or hiking in a National Park.

TFred

Virginian683

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
...maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago I carried openly in Bass Pro for probably 2 hours, bought something, etc and had no comment or stares from employees, but did have a group of customers (seemed to be a grown family) that were staring at me like I'd just kicked their dog...
The beautiful thing about OCing in Hampton Roads is all the military presence. That way you are virtually guaranteed that some servile-minded ignoramus from one of our people's republics (New York, New Jersey, et al.) will eventually see you and want to throw a tantrum. (Not trying to discourage anybody from OCing -- it's our damn state.)

Never had an actual negative experience yet, but the 1st time I did it I went to a Hallmark store and a mother with a distinctively joysey manner of speech grabbed her child and rushed out of the store for no apparent reason. :lol:

essayons

imported post

The Gander Mtn in Ashland has a similar policy. I don't remember the exact wording, but the intent is to prevent people from carrying loaded guns into their gunsmith, and it has an exception to CCPs.

I've OC'ed there without problems.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
distinctively joysey manner of speech
Hey, I resemble that remark. :)

Actually, you can't necessarily blame her for reacting that way. No one in NJ carries except cops and criminals. NJ has a permit process but trust me, no one gets one and the state certainly doesnt have open carry. When I moved here, I was taken aback by the fact that people could open carry because I had never seen it before. She has probably never seen anyone not in a uniform with a gun. She's just a product of her environment. Hopefully as more people here carry, she'll become comfortable with it and perhaps join in!

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

wylde007 wrote:

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Because the people who own/work/shop these places are hunter gun owners commenly referred to as Fudds. They believe guns are for hunting and there hunting firearms are kept locked away with the ammo locked in another place. They also usually don't shoot there guns except during hunting season. And they believe in reasonable gun restrictions. Sadly in my 20 years in the Navy I met a lot of my fellow sailors who felt that way. I used to work for a guy who had a GLOCK 22 that he never shot and said often that people have no reason to own a gun that holds 30 rounds.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I believe Glen is right about a number of hunters beings Fudds (never heard that term before:D ). I have hunted with a fellow who was born and raised in the South, has hunted for many years, and indeed, only has hunting rifles. Doesn't want a pistol in the house because he has small kids. Can't see why people should have "assault rifles", and isn't particularly afraid the government will ever take away "sporting rifles". (Voted for Obama, I'm pretty sure). As you can imagine, we've had some interesting discussions. I agreed that Obama and the Dems would keep their promise and NEVER take away "hunting rifles". What they'd do first is redefine them as "high-powered sniper rifles", then make them illegal. After all, his 30-06 rifle fires a cartridge designed by the military to kill humans. And why would an ethical hunter NEED a scope just to kill Bambi? His eyes got kinda big when I mentioned this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
wylde007 wrote: Because the people who own/work/shop these places are hunter gun owners commenly referred to as Fudds. They believe guns are for hunting and there hunting firearms are kept locked away with the ammo locked in another place. They also usually don't shoot there guns except during hunting season. And they believe in reasonable gun restrictions. Sadly in my 20 years in the Navy I met a lot of my fellow sailors who felt that way. I used to work for a guy who had a GLOCK 22 that he never shot and said often that people have no reason to own a gun that holds 30 rounds.
That's about the dumbest damn statement I've seen since, "We have half the cast of deliverance here".

Guess what class of gun owners are commonly called "Little Mary" ?

67GT390FB

imported post

peter nap wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
wylde007 wrote: Because the people who own/work/shop these places are hunter gun owners commenly referred to as Fudds. They believe guns are for hunting and there hunting firearms are kept locked away with the ammo locked in another place. They also usually don't shoot there guns except during hunting season. And they believe in reasonable gun restrictions. Sadly in my 20 years in the Navy I met a lot of my fellow sailors who felt that way. I used to work for a guy who had a GLOCK 22 that he never shot and said often that people have no reason to own a gun that holds 30 rounds.
That's about the dumbest damn statement I've seen since, "We have half the cast of deliverance here".

settle down peter, and don't feed the glock folks, remember plastic rules other guns drool.:lol:

I really get tired of hearing how one group of gun owners is better or worse than another. And it comes up all the time. Sometimes we are our own biggest enemy. cc vs oc (see current events texas open carry vs texas SCCC), hunters vs shooters vs mall ninjas. I've met folks who would walk right past a line of pre '64 winchester's, weatherby's, etc to grab up a yugo sks in a tapco stock, then again i've met just as many folks who'd scrap the yugo and sell their right nut for a kriegoff double,and i've also met folks who'd melt them all down to forge new parts for their home grown flintlock, to each their own, and for too many that means lets denigrate the others that are different. But sadly thats just a fact of life for way too many these days.

well enough "rodney king" for me today, let's pick on dog hunters for a while.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
peter nap wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:

settle down peter, and don't feed the glock folks, remember plastic rules other guns drool.:lol:

I really get tired of hearing how one group of gun owners is better or worse than another. And it comes up all the time. Sometimes we are our own biggest enemy. cc vs oc (see current events texas open carry vs texas SCCC), hunters vs shooters vs mall ninjas. I've met folks who would walk right past a line of pre '64 winchester's, weatherby's, etc to grab up a yugo sks in a tapco stock, then again i've met just as many folks who'd scrap the yugo and sell their right nut for a kriegoff double,and i've also met folks who'd melt them all down to forge new parts for their home grown flintlock, to each their own, and for too many that means lets denigrate the others that are different. But sadly thats just a fact of life for way too many these days.

Now, now...I don't hunt dogs, I drive dogs...I hunt deer. :cool:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
peter nap wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:

Now, now...I don't hunt dogs, I drive dogs...I hunt deer. :cool:

I quit hunting deer. The coyotes keep running them off so I started trapping coyotes. Look at these two under my deer stand:

IMG_0445.jpg