• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many people carry around the house???

xd9sc

imported post

I was just wondering how many people carry around the house, such as indoors in the evenings, and around the yard during the day? I just want to prove to some family members that I am not the only person that does this. They are always give me crap for carrying in the house. They are not against guns, they just can't see why I carry around the house. Also, for those who do carry around the house, what/how do you carry, and what environment do you live in?

colt45ws

imported post

I do. Im carrying it right now. Kinda nice so I can ease into it. Get my family used to the idea.. Its the only place I can being an 18-20 in washington state. I can buy a pistol Private party, but I cannot get a CPL or OC. I can only unload it and place it in my trunk to go to the range... I open carry my HK USP 9mm in a Safariland Level 1 holster. I like the holster. Pushing the release feels natural and after it clears my thumb ends up right on the safety...

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

xd9sc wrote:
Also, for those who do carry around the house, what/how do you carry, and what environment do you live in?

Absolutely! I figure that home is where one would likely need their weapon most.

I usually just keep my sidearm on after I get home from work.

Troubleshooter

imported post

I carry or have a gun close by.

Ever hear of Home invasion? It happens in "Nice neighborhoods"
Thugs looking for Cash, guns or "Bling"

You should also think about maybe someone looking to do harm for whatever reason goes to the wrong house. It happens.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I live out in the country. I carry my side arm from the time I put my pants on in the morning until I take them off at night to go to bed. My handgun sets on the night stand next to the bed while I'm asleep.

I carry either a SA .45 revolver or a Makarov 9mm semi-auto. I OC all the time.

Xd Fan

imported post

I live out in the country and I carry both in the house and out in the yard. I carry around the yard ( I have 21 acres ) not so much worried about bad guys but the idiots that live across the road from meraises pitbulls for fighting. Iv'e seen the dogs get loose dragging a logging chain behind them. They might be some bad dogs but I don't think they stand a chance with a 230grain .45 federal tactical out of my XD. The funny thing is that the dog warden is scared to go over there.:banghead:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Xd Fan wrote:
I live out in the country and I carry both in the house and out in the yard. I carry around the yard ( I have 21 acres ) not so much worried about bad guys but the idiots that live across the road from meraises pitbulls for fighting. Iv'e seen the dogs get loose dragging a logging chain behind them. They might be some bad dogs but I don't think they stand a chance with a 230grain .45 federal tactical out of my XD. The funny thing is that the dog warden is scared to go over there.:banghead:
Dog fighting is illegal in most states, if not all of them. If your neighbor is raising dogs for that purpose, you should call the state police and get him busted.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I carry all the time too. If for some reason I take my holster off I keep the firearm in the chair next to me and move it in hand when I move to another room. I also carry around the property. We are on about 11 acres, mostly wooded. For a long time we were the only house here and we got a lot of people that thought they could come down here and do what ever they wanted. A lot of them came armed so I stayed armed.

Normal daily carry gun in the house or off the property would be a Para Ord P12.45 or EAA Witness compact 9mm. But I have also carried a S&W 4" .500 Mag in wilderness areas.

For the yard I sometimes carry any of the above mentioned handguns, but more often prefer to carry a stainless S&W 629 Horton 3" .44 mag or a Ruger GP-100 loaded alternating with solids and shot loads. For my money the .44 works better with the shot loads and the .357 works better with JHP bullets for the purposes I require.

Peacemaker

imported post

I carry everywhere legal! Living in Georgia, there are too many places still off-limits due to the terrible public gathering law :?

Oh and because of my dad's views on me carrying, I CC at home and then switch to OC when I am out in public :celebrate

Pol Mordreth

imported post

I carry all the time at home. The weapon is never off my body unless I'm sleeping or using the bathroom. I carry a Ruger P94 in .40 in a fobus paddle, and a fobus double mag carrier with two more mags on my off side. I live in a small town / bedroom communitybetween two largeish cities. All the neighbors know I carry, they have no problem with it, no one objects when I go in their houses.

Two main reasons for carrying constantly: You never know when something is going to go down, and I have young children in the house. We all know that kids are inquisitive, and although my kids are well trained, some of their friends may not be. Carrying is simply the safest way for me to have the weapon ready without worrying if one of my kids friends is going to be stupid. Granted, if I catch them handling one of the unloaded firearms without permission, they aren't welcome back inside the house ever. I just don't want to be too late.

Regards,

Pol

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I live out in the country. I carry my side arm from the time I put my pants on in the morning until I take them off at night to go to bed. My handgun sets on the night stand next to the bed while I'm asleep.

I carry either a SA .45 revolver or a Makarov 9mm semi-auto. I OC all the time.
I live out in the desert. I/We carry identically... mfg 'n all. :)

shad0wfax

imported post

xd9sc wrote:
I was just wondering how many people carry around the house, such as indoors in the evenings, and around the yard during the day? I just want to prove to some family members that I am not the only person that does this. They are always give me crap for carrying in the house. They are not against guns, they just can't see why I carry around the house. Also, for those who do carry around the house, what/how do you carry, and what environment do you live in?

I am armed whenever I am awake, unless I enter a place where firearms are prohibited by state or federal law. I carry in my home. I carry when I'm shoveling snow. I carry when I go outside to the mailbox.

When I am asleep, my firearms are withinreach.

I don't live in a "bad" neighborhood. I just prefer to have either my .357 Mag or my .45 ACP on me at all times. The revolver rides in an IWB open top holster and the 45 is in a duty holster on my hip.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I usually put on my holster when getting ready to leave the house. When I take it off after getting back home typically depends more on personal comfort than anything else. Even if I am not carrying at home, I have a loaded sidearm nearby.

bobcat

imported post

Always at home. *Always*

Years ago, I used to just carry off and on around the house and the property thinking that if there was a problem, a defensive tool is close. (We are in the hinterboonies.)

Wrong-O

I got totally surprised one day while working on some noisy machinery.I was home alone. I just happened to turn around and there was a complete stranger standing a few feet away, well inside my comfort zone. He and his female friend had driven up the lane, past the house, into the back where I was working. Yikes! He was 'asking for directions' and then went back to his truck and they left. It was hinky, but that's another story. If this guy had meant harm, I would have been toast.

Long story short, nothing untoward happened to me that day, but it proved to me in spades how vulnerable I was and it was my fault. From that day on, I vowed to always carry a sidearmas well as keep a better eye on my surroundings. I changed some other OPSEC procedures as well. Pretty easy to drop condition yellow when you're focused on figuring out how to solve a complex problem, but that is no excuse.

I had to get past scratching and scraping up perfectly good gun leather and wear and tear on a couple of carry sidearms. But heck, what good are they if they are in a safe, avehicle,or 50 ft away if/when I need it right now. After going through trials of finding decent leather, it feels right at home on my hip. The wife is fine with it and jokes with me about it; "What're ya packin' t'day sweetheart?" She's counting on me to have it handy... the sidearm that is.

Life is good.