Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: I pulled a drunk over last night

  1. #1
    Regular Member sempercarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    378

    Post imported post

    Interesting night last night. I was driving back to Bangor from Tacoma on my usual weekend libo run when I came up behind an obvious drunk driver. I did the whole good samaritan thing and called 911 and followed him while giving the dispatcher sit-reps. We eventually pulled off the freeway and onto sedgewick road where it became extremely obvious to him that I was following him.( I darted from the far lane to the off ramp) It also became extremely obvious to me that the state troopers may not get there in time when the guy went the wrong way UP an OFF ramp. He had to go over a grassy median to do it, and when he realized his mistake he turned around and came DOWN the ON ramp. Thats when I parked my Bronco in front of him. I was concerned that I was putting myself in a situation where I may have to draw or even use my CZ SP01 but fortunatly the police pulled up about 20 seconds after the guy started getting pissed that I was there.:? They were happy, I was relieved and everyone got home safe.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hoquiam, , USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    Good job.

    I can not stand drunk drivers.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    159

    Post imported post

    Kudos! Who knows. You might have saved a life by leading the cops to him!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    367

    Post imported post

    Any conversation about your weapon?

    -adamsesq

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    adamsesq wrote:
    Any conversation about your weapon?

    -adamsesq
    Beat me to it.....

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Spokane, Wa., ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    sempercarry,
    Not to be to critical, but what are you doing? You reported the driver, yet you chased him down. Then put your self in danger. I don't get what you did.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    fetch wrote:
    sempercarry,
    Not to be to critical, but what are you doing? You reported the driver, yet you chased him down. Then put your self in danger. I don't get what you did.
    In many circles, it's called making a "citizens arrest". The OP didn't have to draw his weapon. I suspect that the LEO that arrived were thankfull that they weren't responding to a serious vehicular accident.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Spokane, Wa., ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    TF16, I am fully aware of "citizens arrest" and its implications. I have been a victim of a drunk driver. What I am getting at is "The OP did not have to draw his weapon", but put him self into the situation where he might have to. We were not there, only sempercarry can say. It is good it turned out the way it did.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Just the title of this thread makes me cringe...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hoquiam, , USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    Why is it there is always cut down on someones post?
    He got a drunk driver off the road so good job.

  11. #11
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    okkid wrote:
    Why is it there is always cut down on someones post?
    He got a drunk driver off the road so good job.
    It was the title of the post that I said made me cringe. Not the post, or the idea of getting a drunk of the road, but the title.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897

    Post imported post

    okkid wrote:
    Why is it there is always cut down on someones post?
    He got a drunk driver off the road so good job.
    +1

    While it is putting ones self at risk of injury or worse, getting a dangerous drunk driver off the road is a good thing. When I used to work armed security in SE NM I used to have to deal with lots of drunks. Even worse, I dealt with drunks that were high on coke and armed. When I got the help of regular people to handle them, I was grateful.

    Another company I worked for down there, unarmed at that, had me patrolling in a retired cruiser that still had the radio. I had an incident and had to call the cops, the officer told me to use the radio and call him by his call sign. He really wanted my help in that area. Of course when I told my boss what the officer said, he told me that if I touched the radio I'd be fired. He was a ****** bag.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    sirpuma wrote:
    okkid wrote:
    Why is it there is always cut down on someones post?
    He got a drunk driver off the road so good job.
    +1

    While it is putting ones self at risk of injury or worse,
    I call that being a hero !

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Spokane, Wa., ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    +1
    While it is putting ones self at risk of injury or worse, getting a dangerous drunk driver off the road is a good thing. When I used to work armed security in SE NM I used to have to deal with lots of drunks. Even worse, I dealt with drunks that were high on coke and armed. When I got the help of regular people to handle them, I was grateful. Another company I worked for down there, unarmed at that, had me patrolling in a retired cruiser that still had the radio. I had an incident and had to call the cops, the officer told me to use the radio and call him by his call sign. He really wanted my help in that area. Of course when I told my boss what the officer said, he told me that if I touched the radio I'd be fired. He was a ****** bag.
    -1
    sirpuma, you miss the point. You were tasked with your job to do what you did. sempercarry was not, he acted on his own. Therefore your story is irrelevant to the topic.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    159

    Post imported post

    Triple Tap wrote:
    sirpuma wrote:

    While it is putting ones self at risk of injury or worse,
    I call that being a hero !
    +1

    Maybe not the smartest thing to do if he was just looking out for himself. But willing to lay down your own needs for the good of others is noble.

    And I think part of sirpuma's point was while he was doing his job, it was great when someone who was not obligated as sirpuma was, stepped up and helped.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Johnny Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puget Sound, ,
    Posts
    462

    Post imported post

    sempercarry wrote:
    Thats when I parked my Bronco in front of him. I was concerned that I was putting myself in a situation where I may have to draw or even use my CZ SP01 but fortunatly the police pulled up about 20 seconds after the guy started getting pissed that I was there.:? They were happy, I was relieved and everyone got home safe.
    Nice job Sempercarry! I always appreciate it when citizens are willing to jump in and help out.

    Following a suspect is no problem, while leading in the Police to your location (although dispatch will usually tell you to stop following for CYA purposes). Many people still contiue to follow, and in the big picture it helps the Police catch more bg's.
    My only words of caution in this situation are these.
    The part that is a little sketchy is when you blocked him from driving any further. MANY times this leads to the bg ramming the blocking vehicle (typically a Patrol car) and at that point you have to decide if he is actually trying to harm/kill you, or just trying to get away. I've seen several bg's get shot right there, but in the case of a citizen, a jury is going to decide if you went too far, as youwere not tasked with apprehending bg's. If you shot the bg, a jury might well say that you needlessly put yourself in harms way and caused the altercation, and find it not justified. This is the risk one takes in this type of scenario. Just some food for thought.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

  17. #17
    Regular Member sempercarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    378

    Post imported post

    Johnny Law wrote:
    My only words of caution in this situation are these.
    The part that is a little sketchy is when you blocked him from driving any further. MANY times this leads to the bg ramming the blocking vehicle (typically a Patrol car) and at that point you have to decide if he is actually trying to harm/kill you, or just trying to get away. I've seen several bg's get shot right there, but in the case of a citizen, a jury is going to decide if you went too far, as youwere not tasked with apprehending bg's. If you shot the bg, a jury might well say that you needlessly put yourself in harms way and caused the altercation, and find it not justified. This is the risk one takes in this type of scenario. Just some food for thought.




    That crossed my mind when I was doing it but I decided the benifit outweighed the risk. To be so intoxicated as to not realize that you are going the wrong way up an off ramp is an accident waiting to happen and I had no clue as to when a trooper was going to be there. I came to the conclusion that if his lowered s10 was going to ram my Bronco from the front that I was going to be perfectly safe as I have a 6" lift and 35" tires.....more than likely he would have burried his hood into the bottom of my front bumper. And to answer your question fetch....I am a US Marine and I am more than capable of handling myself in any violent confrontation, andmore than that I have been trained to the point of being called an EXPERT (the words of my C.O., not mine)on the application and justificationof deadly force as well as the ins and outs of the continuum of force. I think I stayed out of it as long as I could but seeing sombody that drunk and knowing that I could have stopped him before he killed somebody and didn'twas not something I was ready to live with. And the troopers were very happy that I did what I did.Also, If you don't have anything constructive to say I suggest you quit posting, sirpumas post was just as relevant as everyone elses.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    I have to wonder what it would be like if more non-LE people were willing to step up to do the right thing when needed?

    With LE angencies accross the nation suffering budget cuts and furloughing officers, It may get to the point that LAC's may have to step up more to help the LEO's that are left.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, WA, ,
    Posts
    144

    Post imported post

    It was his life that he wanted to put in danger. I don't have a problem with that. I'm sure he knew the risks when he decided to follow the driver.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897

    Post imported post

    holeinhead wrote:
    Triple Tap wrote:
    sirpuma wrote:

    While it is putting ones self at risk of injury or worse,
    I call that being a hero !
    +1

    Maybe not the smartest thing to do if he was just looking out for himself. But willing to lay down your own needs for the good of others is noble.

    And I think part of sirpuma's point was while he was doing his job, it was great when someone who was not obligated as sirpuma was, stepped up and helped.
    Bingo. Even though I was paid (poorly at that) to take the risks, I was very grateful for the help of civilians when they stepped in.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    seriously, youshould've shot out his tire(s) when he stopped at a light,then left the scene. He can't get very far after you do that.

  22. #22
    Regular Member sempercarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    378

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    I have to wonder what it would be like if more non-LE people were willing to step up to do the right thing when needed?

    With LE angencies accross the nation suffering budget cuts and furloughing officers, It may get to the point that LAC's may have to step up more to help the LEO's that are left.
    There are to many sheeple out there today.....it wasn't like thisback in the day. People weren't afraid to police their own. Parents were grateful when a fellow parent disciplined their child for doing something wrong in public and if somebody saw a crime being committed and they could do something about it, they did. Now your a crazed vigilante or child abuser and you face a lawsuit if you do anything. I hate it. John Stossel did a report where he was talking to convicted violent felons and he asked them what they were afraid of the most when they were robbing mugging or raping somebody. was it police?.....nooooooooooo, It wascivilians willing and capable of fighting back weather it be with a gun or otherwise. Sometimes people will put themselves in extremedanger when confronting any criminal weather it be a shoplifter or violent felon, it depends on the samaritans training...or lack thereof....but knowing what I know, I would feel like waist of oxygen and a complete tool if I saw any crime being committed and I didn't try to resolve it. Call me crazy or even dangerous but I'm sick of seeing good people victimized by thugs who care for nothing but themselves. And just to make this relevant to oc.....I OC for that very reason....to be a deterrent to would be criminals.

  23. #23
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    seriously, youshould've shot out his tire(s) when he stopped at a light,then left the scene. He can't get very far after you do that.
    I'm sorry, but this is a TERRIBLE idea. Unless he believed that his life or another's life was in immediate danger, there is little to no protection from prosecution for discharge of a firearm.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    97

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    seriously, youshould've shot out his tire(s) when he stopped at a light,then left the scene. He can't get very far after you do that.
    And when you get in a gunfight, shoot for the knees!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    PolskiG wrote:
    seriously, youshould've shot out his tire(s) when he stopped at a light,then left the scene. He can't get very far after you do that.
    WHAT?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •