• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I pulled a drunk over last night

sempercarry

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I have to wonder what it would be like if more non-LE people were willing to step up to do the right thing when needed?

With LE angencies accross the nation suffering budget cuts and furloughing officers, It may get to the point that LAC's may have to step up more to help the LEO's that are left.
There are to many sheeple out there today.....it wasn't like thisback in the day. People weren't afraid to police their own. Parents were grateful when a fellow parent disciplined their child for doing something wrong in public and if somebody saw a crime being committed and they could do something about it, they did. Now your a crazed vigilante or child abuser and you face a lawsuit if you do anything. I hate it. John Stossel did a report where he was talking to convicted violent felons and he asked them what they were afraid of the most when they were robbing mugging or raping somebody. was it police?.....nooooooooooo, It wascivilians willing and capable of fighting back weather it be with a gun or otherwise. Sometimes people will put themselves in extremedanger when confronting any criminal weather it be a shoplifter or violent felon, it depends on the samaritans training...or lack thereof....but knowing what I know, I would feel like waist of oxygen and a complete tool if I saw any crime being committed and I didn't try to resolve it. Call me crazy or even dangerous but I'm sick of seeing good people victimized by thugs who care for nothing but themselves. And just to make this relevant to oc.....I OC for that very reason....to be a deterrent to would be criminals.

just_a_car

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
seriously, youshould've shot out his tire(s) when he stopped at a light,then left the scene. He can't get very far after you do that.
I'm sorry, but this is a TERRIBLE idea. Unless he believed that his life or another's life was in immediate danger, there is little to no protection from prosecution for discharge of a firearm.

Trigger Dr

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
seriously, youshould've shot out his tire(s) when he stopped at a light,then left the scene. He can't get very far after you do that.
WHAT?

sempercarry

imported post

vote_no wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
And when you get in a gunfight, shoot for the knees!
this is jackassery at its highest level.

sempercarry

imported post

1. I am never defenseless.....even without a weapon, but if I knew I was outmatched in that situation.....yes I still would have done it.......I put time and effort into making my truck big, and he put time and effort into making his small. He wasn't going anywhere.

2. Like I said before, I know when I can pull the trigger and justify it. If I had fired it would have been in a situationeasy to see it justified to anyone.

shad0wfax

imported post

I'm glad that you and your vehicle were not harmed, sempercarry. Calling the police (or WSP) in on the DUI is a good call. Following the DUI suspect and keeping the police updated is somewhat risky, but not necessarily a bad idea.

Using your vehicle as a roadblock; that's where I draw the line. I think it was a foolish thing to do, especially if you were carrying (which you were). It places you into a position where if the (allegedly) drunk driver does attack you with his vehicle you may have to defend yourself. I can't see that going over well when no other lives were in imminent danger.Your actions were not defending lives on the road, they were merely policing suspicious behavior. If you did have to use your firearm to defend yourself, I can't imagine a jury being very sympathetic.

EDIT:

PolskiG wrote:

I think this was intended as sarcasm. If so, hahaha.

PavePusher

imported post

fetch wrote:
sempercarry,
Not to be to critical, but what are you doing? You reported the driver, yet you chased him down. Then put your self in danger. I don't get what you did.

Uh, he was being a good citizen, participating in the whole "by, of and for the people" thing, chose to do the right thing and help out. Having been hit by drunk drivers on three occasions, I am highly grateful. By the way he didn't "chase him down". He followed at a safe distance, and only took overt actionwhen the other driver was becoming a severe danger to others. Sheepdog. Look it up.

Much of what is wrong with this country is the overwhelming philosophy that everything is "someone else's problem", and refusal to get involved. There is a strong need for more people to get involved in their society and not be perpetual bystanders. I am reminded of the line from Blazing Saddles: "Won't someone help that poor man..."

Mind you, there is a fine line between "busy body" and "concerned citizen". Learn it, but most reasonable people will forgive a liberal (in the dictionary definition) application. I would much rather be slightly embarrased that I asked "Ma'am, is this man bothering you?" and learn that they were practicing for a karate match, then wend a sheep-like path home and see the news head-line "Woman beaten to death in front yard".

A few years ago, I helped the victims of a traffic accident in the center of a five-lane interstate highway. Today, on my way home from work, I encountered two crashed vehicles outside a grocery store parking lot exit, and asked if anyone needed assistance. High danger, great percieved need foraid. I guess I should not have gotten involved.

Bottom line, if you accept the protection of a society, you should be willing to be part of the protection, else you are a parasite.

bugly

imported post

Bottom line;
Bad guy gets to go to jail for the night, Sempercarry went home feeling good about his actions, shared his story, got called out for putting himself in harm's way.
WTF?
I consider this to be everyone's duty. If you can ease the burden on the LEO, then by all means, do it. If you feel you must draw on someone, do it, just be aware of the repercussions for doing so. I feel this was a victory for open carry and for the "right to bear arms". This incident could have been on the front page of the Tacoma news Tribune and/or the Bremerton paper as a nasty wreck caused by a drunk driver, instead, it went unreported by the liberal news media, but a drunk was removed from the road.
Could have been my grandchildren in the car that guy may have hit.
Might have been your spouse,
Your mother. Anyone.
Get off his a$$ and thank him for a job well done, may have been a bit "caveman style" but it worked and nobody got hurt.

Don't make me come over there and slap some sense into you.

(edit) By the way, yes, my grandchildren live only a few miles from where this happened...in Purdy, so it could have been personal for me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry, stopping a drunk driver is not a heroic way to protect your community.

You all act like he stopped a rampaging killer, but I don't see any evidence this guy was anything other than "obviously drunk". Drunk driving is dangerous, but I'm not going to buy into all the hysteria and agree that it implies imminent death or injury.

Reporting him to the police would be the sensible thing to do. Following him is far too mall-ninja for my taste.

sempercarry

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
or threaten me with grave bodily harm or death on the street - either case and your going to get a chest full of lead without question or hesitation.
What do you call getting hit by a drunk driver. I call that grave bodily harm. From the day you get into the Corps there are a few things that are pounded into your head. One of them is that more Marines and other servicemen and women die a year from motorvehicle accidentsthan in BOTH of the conflicts in the middle east. This usually means that they take somebody with them. It is also pounded into our heads that if you see your buddy or anyone else for that matter trying to get into a car drunk, you stop him by what ever means necessary. This hits escpecially close to home with me as one of my buddies cut himself in half on a telephone pole guide wire while riding his motorcycle drunk, my neice was also killed when a drunk crossed the centerline at 70mph. That is what was going through my head when I was doing what I was doing. It pisses me off that people have no care for the live they endanger when they drive drunk and it scares the shit out of me that other people arent willing to stop somthing that dangerous and destructive.

bugly

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Apparently this guy has never seen those police chase videos where someone drove several miles on a freeway with bare rims after something like that. You have NO control without the tires, kinda like driving on ice. That and being drunk, well, that sounds real safe to me...:banghead:

PolskiG

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
I'm sorry, but this is a TERRIBLE idea. Unless he believed that his life or another's life was in immediate danger, there is little to no protection from prosecution for discharge of a firearm.
I found out the answer for my discharge in public question

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I don't understand why you all seem to want to bust my chops. Did you all miss this part of my post?

I applaud him for his courage and moral fortitude.
The only thing I said was that if you want to risk your freedom and your ability to carry firearms by chasing down a drunk driver and stopping them by performing a blocking maneuver with your vehicle, you go right ahead, good for you. But in a situation like that, should you end up having to shoot said drunk driver, I wouldn't plan on a claim of self defense going very far with a jury.
I understand what you are saying NavyLt ... but I think I would do the same thing carrying or not. I tend to be a proactive get invovled person...and the more comfortable I get with open carry the less it hinders actions that I would normally do, but I don't blame others for taking different paths. I guess it depends what is waying more heavily on your mind at the moment If you are fearing Oh I might get in trouble for carrying you probably wouldcall the cops and go on ....but if you are thinking oh crap he might kill someone with his car....then your actions might be more in line with what he did, regardless of the consequences.