• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Buyer

Pai

imported post

I'd been thinking about it for almost a year, finally bought one today. Originally wanted a gun just to target shoot, but on researching decided I wanted something that would be equally effective for protection as well. My first choice was the Sig P226, but I felt it was too big and heavy for me when I handled it at the BassPro in Arundel Mills Mall. The P229 was my next choice and really sweet, but yesterday at VA Arms I picked up on a Walther P99 and fell in love with it. So I went to Guns & Ammo today (because they're actually open on Sunday) and those guys were awesome!.

Anywho, long story short, I researched the firearms but never researched the accessories, so I'm looking for opinions. This forum has been great for answering my questions just from lurking, so I thought I'd register up and say hey from Alexandria (Fairfax county side) *waves*, and get some opinions.

I'm gonna go to the range and shoot with some different ammo before I decide on that, but I need a good holster for carry so thoughts?

I'm probably going to get the P229 eventually as a backup or just occasional switch off because I really do like it, but I love my Walther!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Welcome Pai

Lots of good holster makers out there. Any place you can hide a gun, they make a holster for. First, you need to decide where on your body you intend to carry.

Please let me know if I can assist you with any training needs.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I've got a Bianchi, a Don Hume and a High Noon. I haven't had a problem with any of them. My Don Hume is an outside the waistband with no retention and works well for concealed carry with an untucked shirt and open carry in situations I didn't necessarily plan on (spontaneous meal out). The Bianchi is a thumb break outside the waistband for dedicated open carry and the High Noon (Split Decision) is a tuckable inside the waistband for concealed carry.

High Noon seems to have good prices and really quick turnaround times on their in-stock items. My friend has another of their models and likes it as well.

I'd start with something inexpensive and see what you do and don't like about it and then shop from there for a second one if necessary. One thing I don't like in the holster department (and this is just a personal opinion) is paddle holsters. Just don't see the situation where it is the best option...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yep, the guys at G&A are pleasant, knowledgeable, and all kinds of nice. Good job.

What kind of holster are you looking for? IWB? OWB? I swear by the JPB sleeping dog dual-use (IWB/OWB) model at holsterama.com ; for me, it's perfect. Engin is always at the Chantilly show; you could see one then. It's only two weeks away.

Pai

imported post

Thanks ProShooter. I'm waiting for the next class at the NRA so I can register for CHP. I really want a thigh holster, but I know that makes the police twitchy (at least my Fairfax PD friends have said so) and I can even understand it. I plan to get a smaller weapon to cc.

I've had training before on small arms but it's been years and I certainly don't mind brushing up since I intend to use mostly at the range anyway. Of bigger importance to me is self-defense training WITH weapons. That's been kinda hard to find in the area and to match my schedule.

ETA: I'm definitely going to look around at the show if I'm not working. I'd prefer not to belt carry since I never wear them, but that seems to be the going thing. I'm not even sure what other options there are, but I know me, and hitting my elbow up against stuff on my waist tends to irritate me.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pai wrote:
I'm probably going to get the P229 eventually as a backup or just occasional switch off because I really do like it, but I love my Walther!
You ought to take a look at the Walther PPS. I love mine. Slim, light, concealable 9mm which fits in JPB's holster made for 3" XD. ("Masters Holsters")

Pai

imported post

I checked it out today. That and the P99 Compact. I'll probably check it out again, but the grip was too short to be comfortable for me. The P99 and the Sig P229 were the only ones in all my shopping that just felt perfect in my hands (either one left or right).

It's looking like I'm leaning toward IWB for the holster though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pai wrote:
I checked it out today. That and the P99 Compact. I'll probably check it out again, but the grip was too short to be comfortable for me. The P99 and the Sig P229 were the only ones in all my shopping that just felt perfect in my hands (either one left or right).

It's looking like I'm leaning toward IWB for the holster though.
IWB still requires a belt and more room inside the clothing.

OC or CC, IWB or OWB with a holster = belt.

Yata hey

Pai

imported post

@Yata hey

Urgh, I know. Any other non-belt solutions for oc? Preferably ones that don't freak folk out more than usual?

At least with IWB, I won't be constantly snagging my arm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pai wrote:
@Yata hey

Urgh, I know. Any other non-belt solutions for oc? Preferably ones that don't freak folk out more than usual?

A properly designed OWB holster for your body type should not be in the way of your arm/elbow at all.

With your questions and concerns, I would proceed slowly and spend some time with people that regularly carry - try their rigs - cleared & safe first then check again.

Seriously, you may learn to enjoy the advantages of having a holster just below your elbow. It is in a secure location, easily reached and can be "checked" with a bump/touch.
Most eventually decide that is where it belongs for them.

We do make choices and compromises though.

Yata hey

eyesopened

imported post

Pai wrote:
@Yata hey

Shoulder holster, but I've got no experience with that mode of carry. I prefer belt carry. You get used to having the firearm on your hip after a while and don't really bump into it. I do bump into it on purpose just to make sure it's still there ;)

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pai, I find that an outside the waistband holster works best for me. You don't have to completely re-do you wardrobe and for those times when you want to go to opencarry, you don't have to worry, "is someone going to consider my IWB hoster concealed even though you can obviously see the handgun grip?"

Another option which may work for you could be a "fanny pack", but you will definitely need your CHP for that.

Pai

imported post

Thanks richarcm I really like it!

Thanks for the tip kaiheitai17.

I'm planning to shop around a bit tomorrow. Are there any stores in the area I should check out. I live in Alexandria, but I work in Ashburn, so there's a lot of ground I pass on my way back home.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pai wrote:
Thanks richarcm I really like it!

Thanks for the tip kaiheitai17.

I'm planning to shop around a bit tomorrow. Are there any stores in the area I should check out. I live in Alexandria, but I work in Ashburn, so there's a lot of ground I pass on my way back home.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Unless you need it yesterday, I recommend waiting two weeks and checking out the selection at the Chantilly gun show. Not that I'd recommend that over a local shop, but you'll have a much wider selection, from Serpa-type retention holsters to leather and nylon, from ankle to belt to shoulder, from IWB to OWB and dual, vests, fanny packs, purses, planners, etc. Kinda hard to beat the selection.