• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info on permit process for West Hartford CT. Been waiting 3.5 months...

JSJR

imported post

Hello all,

Being new to the site I am looking for some info on the process if someone is familiar with the town of West Hartford. I applied on October 14th 2008 for my permit and as of today I have had no answer of either yes or no. I went down to WHPD and asked if there was a way to check on the status, they pointed me to the town permit clerks and it was explained to me by the town clerk that they can not check on the status that it is the FBI that has the control over how long it takes.

The funny thing is a friend of mine who lives in Wethersfield got his permit in all of like 3 weeks... Can I really believe what the town permit clerk is saying or do I have any resources I can use to check the status or my permit as it is now coming up on 3.5 months since I gave over my application and checks to the WHPD.

Any info would greatly appreciated!

Jim

GoldCoaster

imported post

That's BS unfortunately. Can you imagine if the FBI actually took a month or two to turn around fingerprint cards? There'd be no bus drivers, hospital workers, etc etc.

The problem you run is how to ensure they are actually doing their job without pissing them off to the point where they purposely delay your application (although 3.5 months seems to be like an excessive delay!)

Do you have any local gun shops or NRA folk that know how that town usually handles permit applications? Find out from them if this is normal, average or very unusual.

Arby238

imported post

The state of Connecticut says that the permit should take about 8 weeks. I live in Chester and got mine in 5 weeks.

If your permit is not approved you can appeal it to the State Board of Firearm Permit Examiners (BFPE)under C.G.S. 29-32. They are located at 505 Hudson St., 5th Floor, Hartford, CT 06106. 860 566-7078.

You can try to contact them and see if they can tell you why it is taking so long.

Good luck.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I was at DPS HQ in Middletown today to conduct some buisness and found the parking lot complety full and a large line of people there waiting for their Pistol Permits. I overheard one of the troopers at the front desk say, "It's been crazy like this ever since the election."

JSJR

imported post

Thanks for the the heads up on the BFPE. I will give them a call tomorrow. To me it seemed like maybe West Hartford was holding out as my friend aquired his so quickly from Wethersfield, but the town permit clerkcontends I will be notified by mail one way or the other...

bennor

imported post

Until the local PD or issuing authority actually denies the application there really isn't anything the Permit Review Board can do. Back when I applied for mine in New Haven, when I sailed past the four month period I called both the state police firearms unit and the state permit review board. Both said there isn't much you or theycan do, short of hiring alawyer and suing the local issuing authority,until you are denied. The review board person I spoke with indicated that you could file a complaint with the review board,but without a denial and because they are backlogged (more than a year), they really cannot do anything. Shesaidto be patient and wait out the local issuing authority and that they will eventually get around to either issuing the local permit or denying you the permit.

Call the local issuing authority weekly and keep notes on who you speak with and what was said in case they continue to drag their feet or if they issue a denial. This information might be helpful if you file with the state review board. Also be polite and courteous when calling. It's possible the local issuing authority is doing this as a way to see if they should deny you (ie, they see you are easily angered). It's BS, and both we and they know it. While the state has it's guidelines the local issuing authorities are free to tack on silly requirements like letters of reference and other things to slow the process down. It took me three days shy of six months to get my local permit. The NHPD also blamed the FBI amongst their other excuses like being short staffed,and they only process the permits in batches and the person who does so is only in once a week.

The entire process sucks and is I suspect doneintentionally this way by the people inHartford who are anti gun along with the localPDto drag out the process and frustrate the "subjects".:?

JUMPMASTER

imported post

The local authority shall within 8 weeks time from when you submitted your application tell you if your application is approved or denied. Since you have not been told that it is approved or denied you are now agreived by its decision. You have the right to file an appeal with the BFPE. Also, call SLFU and ask to speak withSGT Hall or LT Foxand tell them that your local issuing authority is screwing you around.

Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant. (a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one week after receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application. If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Public Safety or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.

(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

Sec. 29-32b. Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. Appeals to board. Hearings. (a) There shall be established a Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, within the Department of Public Safety for administrative purposes only, hereinafter referred to as the board, to be comprised of seven members appointed by the Governor to serve during his term and until their successors are appointed and qualify. With the exception of public members, the members shall be appointed from nominees of the Commissioner of Public Safety, the Connecticut State Association of Chiefs of Police, the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, The Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Association, Inc., and Ye Connecticut Gun Guild, Inc., and each of said organizations shall be entitled to representation on the board. At least one member of the board shall be a lawyer licensed to practice in this state, who shall act as chairman of the board during the hearing of appeals brought under this section.

(b) Any person aggrieved by any refusal to issue or renew a permit or certificate under the provisions of section 29-28 or 29-36f, or by any limitation or revocation of a permit or certificate issued under any of said sections, or by a refusal or failure of any issuing authority to furnish an application as provided in section 29-28a, may, within ninety days after receipt of notice of such refusal, limitation or revocation, or refusal or failure to supply an application as provided in section 29-28a, and without prejudice to any other course of action open to such person in law or in equity, appeal to the board. On such appeal the board shall inquire into and determine the facts, de novo, and unless it finds that such a refusal, limitation or revocation, or such refusal or failure to supply an application, as the case may be, would be for just and proper cause, it shall order such permit or certificate to be issued, renewed or restored, or the limitation removed or modified, as the case may be. If the refusal was for failure to document compliance with local zoning requirements, under subsection (a) of section 29-28, the board shall not issue a permit.

JSJR

imported post

Excellent information Jumpmaster! I did call the BFPE and they gave me info on how to appeal with the forms etc. She mentioned it would take rougly 1.5 years for the appeal which I was not thrilled to hear.

I did this morning head down to the WHPD and speak with the womanat the permits office and she made a call up to whomever works with sending them off to the FBI etc. He explained that due to Obama being elected there has been a mad dash to get permits and that they receive 5+ apps a week now instead of the maybeone a week they got before.

As far as the SLFU goes, the two officers you mention do they handle direct issues pertaining to the process of obtaining a pistol permit or do they just have leverage to speed up a process?

Thanks again and nice work on the info!

JUMPMASTER

imported post

They are both lawyers who represent the Commissioner during the appeal hearings. They should also be able to ensure that the local issuing authorities are upholding the law.

Also since your local authority is holding up your permit application process you should bring this to the attention of your mayor. I looked at the West Hartford website and according to that there is no police commission in your town. If it did have one that's another venue to voice your displeasure

Mayor contact info:

Scott Slifka (D)
50 South Main Street
West Hartford, CT 06107
(860) 561-7445

Fritter60

imported post

Legally they can only make you wait 8 weeks. Trust me I come from the land of no permits ( Danbury ) and I had mine in 8 because I knew the law. After 8 they have to give you a permit unless they have reason to believe you are not eligible (sp) to have one.

JSJR

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
They are both lawyers who represent the Commissioner during the appeal hearings. They should also be able to ensure that the local issuing authorities are upholding the law.

Also since your local authority is holding up your permit application process you should bring this to the attention of your mayor. I looked at the West Hartford website and according to that there is no police commission in your town. If it did have one that's another venue to voice your displeasure

Mayor contact info:

Scott Slifka (D)
50 South Main Street
West Hartford, CT 06107
(860) 561-7445
Thanks Jump, I will certainly check into the two gentlemen from SLFU and ask them if there is anything they can do or instruct me to do to speed this whole matter up.

JSJR

imported post

Fritter60 wrote:
Legally they can only make you wait 8 weeks. Trust me I come from the land of no permits ( Danbury ) and I had mine in 8 because I knew the law. After 8 they have to give you a permit unless they have reason to believe you are not eligible (sp) to have one.
Thanks Fritter for replying, did you just keep some delicate pressure on the Danbury PD or the Permits office when it started to get to the end of your 8 weeks?

Fritter60

imported post

Yea on our records department (thats who processes our permits), but its on the books somewhere. I'll try and find it, or you could find and NRA lawyer and usually they can and will do some pushing for you.

JSJR

imported post

I was able to give my cousin who is a state trooper a call and see if he could help me out. It turns out he knew someone in the SPBI and FBI as well and they had had the prints for some time now. All I needed was this info and a call to the Det. who handles the applications process. He called me back today and said I should be all set now and my info will be in the mail soon to pick up the temp permit.

Thanks all for the help and advice to get me pointed in the right direction! It's much appreciated!

sirxdglockalot

imported post

I live in North Haven. Went to my local PD an asked about my process so far. The person behind the desk told me I was still under investigation, without asking for my name. I quickly brought this to their attention. So as this person walked over to the desk they picked up the pile of apps as I stated my name. They had told me I was on the top of the pile and that they might get to it that week. This was over 2 weeks ago. Now I am at week 10 with still no response. How do I find out about my app. without pestering them. This basically tells me that they have not done 1 permit in 2 weeks as I was on the top of the pile!!!! Very frustrated!!!!!!

JUMPMASTER

imported post

At week 8 they have to tell you if it has been approved or denied. If they haven't done so call the BFPE and request to file an appeal. You must do so within 90 days of the deadline.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I can't give you much advice along those lines. But if they deny you a permit because you pissed them off because you made a point that they were taking longer than the law allows and that is the sole reason for your denial. Well, I think after your attorney gets done with them you will be able to buy as many guns as you want and a big house to put them in.

JSJR

imported post

What I have been told by the three people in the permits office and by the Det. is that there is a long list of people and still some waiting since October like myself. I guess I got lucky by getting a hold of the Det. and having him call me back. It seems that they do not just handle the pistol permit apps, they are taking on investigative work as well.