• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info on permit process for West Hartford CT. Been waiting 3.5 months...

sirxdglockalot

imported post

Yes I do understand but at 8 weeks I was on the top of the pile and waiting to be signed off that was 2 weeks ago

Tazman2

imported post

New member new founder of this forum. Interesting topic because I went through the SAME fun in WH! I wanted to copy the posting I did on another forum but it seems to be gone. Anywho. I got mine in March 08. Put in around mid November. Managed to move out of the city before finally getting it (in Newington now). The short of it was. Applied. Waited. Waited. Met a guy at the DPS at my local member's club and he told me he'd look through the apps for me and I said cool. Got back to me a few weeks later and told me my prints were rejected at some point in December. This is where it gets interesting. I don't recall the exact date but about a month later the WHPD calls me and tells me my prints were denied. Hmm interesting. LITERALLY a snail must have delivered that piece of mail! Then after a reprint it was another almost 3 months before finally getting a call that I got it. So it was roughly 4 months from start to finish till I got it. Good luck!

EDIT: Forgot one key point. Said DPS employee that I met flat out told me. "If you call us (DPS) and ask us why its taking so long, etc. We'll literally shred your app and say we never got"!!!!! talk about wtf. Bad enough they flat out lie about concealment but wow... :what:

Tazman2

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
If you did finally get your permit MAKE SURE you inform SLFU that your address has changed.

Yes I was aware of that law. I promptly told the DPS when picking up my actual state permit (same day as town one) that I moved and they put the new addy on the actual permit that day! :p

sirxdglockalot

imported post

went back to pd on monday. Was told again your still under investigation. They were very snotty as well. I mentioned that 2 weeks ago I was told that it just needed to be signed off on. Now its 2 weeks later and still nothing. Called the chief that same day and was told we are backed up you get it when you get it. I was very polite and thanked him. I just want to know what the holdup from 2 weeks ago being on the top of the pile is.???????

Tazman2

imported post

sirxdglockalot wrote:
went back to pd on monday. Was told again your still under investigation. They were very snotty as well. I mentioned that 2 weeks ago I was told that it just needed to be signed off on. Now its 2 weeks later and still nothing. Called the chief that same day and was told we are backed up you get it when you get it. I was very polite and thanked him. I just want to know what the holdup from 2 weeks ago being on the top of the pile is.???????
Wow. What town may I ask is this in? This state is just a joke when it comes to permits (and actually other stuff too but). Glad I got mine before the current rush of people wanting one! :?

JSJR

imported post

I just got the letter today from WHPD about my permit being approved, Amen the wait is over! Now to stand in the long lines at the DPS for the state permit, haha...

Tazman2

imported post

JSJR wrote:
I just got the letter today from WHPD about my permit being approved, Amen the wait is over! Now to stand in the long lines at the DPS for the state permit, haha...
Just go early and you'll be fine. I was there for about 20 minutes if that and I went around 9:30/10:00. Good luck hope to see you on the range! :)

JSJR

imported post

Congrats, I got mine last week literally took 20 minutes in the DPS. Funny part was the guys that either did not have a check or money order or forgot their birth certificate and were pissed they forgot it... lol

beswit

imported post

I am in Naugatuck Ct. i have 7 days to go for 8 weeks and have not heard anything about temporary permit?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Applying for and receiving a State Eligibility Certificate would certify your identity, and the fact that you have no disqualifying criminal convictions.

You are also finger printed during the Eligibilty Certificate Process and would be able to inform the local PD that they were already taken by DPS.

Possession of an Eligibility Certificate should shorten the time it takes a local PD to process applications for Permits to Carry.

And you should all be lucky that your approval is prior to the new fee increases which take effet on October 1, 2009.

Everyone who submitted their application prior to October 1 should ask for a waiver on the fee increase if they waited more than the 8 weeks to get their results.

Only suggestions

beswit

imported post

I had CCW which i let lapse for 2 years -dummy me-and wed 8 weeks will be up so what can i do if i don't have it wed?

Lon

imported post

beswit wrote:
I am in Naugatuck Ct. i have 7 days to go for 8 weeks and have not heard anything about temporary permit?

Contact NPD. I got my temp in 15 days in May and the State permit that afternoon.

NPD usually clears applications in four weeks or less, mostly less.

beswit

imported post

15 days your kidding and here i am at 8 weeks? I called the police dept today see if the Officer calls me back otherwise i am going down there--15 days-man

Lon

imported post

beswit wrote:
15 days your kidding and here i am at 8 weeks? I called the police dept today see if the Officer calls me back otherwise i am going down there--15 days-man

Nope. I picked up the application on a Tuesday afternoon, took the NRA course and did some shooting with the instructor on Wednesday, turned in the paperwork and got printed after lunch on Thursday and the tmp permit was issued two Thursdays later. I picked it up Friday morning and went to DPS HQ in Middletown. 40 Minutes after I walked in, I walked out with the permit and was back home for lunch.

Of the 40 minutes, 30 of it was waiting in the line. Actual issuing of the permit took 10 minutes and half of that was waiting for the permit to print.

Lon

imported post

beswit wrote:
ok can i buy ammo in Ct. without permit? Never did anything without a permit?

Although Hoffmans has a sign that you have to have a permit to buy handgun ammo, they've never asked to see mine. And I have bought a couple of thousand rounds there.

Never asked for any permit at Cabelas, Jo-Jo's, or anywhere else.