• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure where to ask this question

dizzysmurf03

imported post

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it needs to go somewhere else, please feel free to do so.

My question has to do with the VA CHP and mental health disqualifications. I'm currently learning about adult ADD/ADHD, and I'm curious if someone who was officially diagnosed with the disorder would be ineligible for the CHP, or if they already held one, would it be revoked.

I remember seeing a paragraph about being ineligible for a permit if someone had been diagnosed or treated for certain mental conditions within the last five years. (If I remember correctly..) But I don't remember what conditions were defined in that paragraph.

My Google-fu is weak, so if anyone could chime in with the answers, that would be great.

Thanks!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dizzysmurf03 wrote:
Hey everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, so if it needs to go somewhere else, please feel free to do so.

My question has to do with the VA CHP and mental health disqualifications. I'm currently learning about adult ADD/ADHD, and I'm curious if someone who was officially diagnosed with the disorder would be ineligible for the CHP, or if they already held one, would it be revoked.

I remember seeing a paragraph about being ineligible for a permit if someone had been diagnosed or treated for certain mental conditions within the last five years. (If I remember correctly..) But I don't remember what conditions were defined in that paragraph.

My Google-fu is weak, so if anyone could chime in with the answers, that would be great.

Thanks!
Well just to OWN a firearm in Virginia you have to consider these categories of prohibited persons -

1. Have you ever been acquitted by reason of insanity?
  2. Have you ever been adjudicated legally incompetent or mentally incapacitated, or adjudicated an incapacitated person?
  3. Have you ever been involuntarily admitted to a facility or involuntarily ordered to outpatient mental health treatment?
  4. Have you ever been the subject of a temporary detention order and subsequently agreed to voluntarily admission for mental health treatment?
After those hurtles go to THIS LINK

Read all the code sections from 18.2-308 up through 18.2-308.2.1

I do not believe ADHDand ADD are mentioned specifically, but some of the drugs and admission to some of the treatment centers might be a problem.

dizzysmurf03

imported post

Great website, I haven't been to that one before. Thanks so much for the link!

I read over the sections of law you pointed out, and it does remain fairly vague. So, after reading them, and reading them again, I decided to make a call to VSP and find out if they could give me something a bit more solid.

I was directed to a Duty Sergent, and I asked him for clarification on the matter.

I was told that neither ADD or ADHD are considered a form of mental incompetence as viewed by law. So, someone with a formal diagnosis would still be perfectly legal to own and carry a handgun in the state of Virginia, and would have no issues with thier CHP.

So, now that my questions are answered and the results are positive, I can say without fear of losing my CHP or my firearms that I was asking because I am looking into getting official testing for adult ADD.

I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't become a problem

Thanks again for the help!