• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon House Bill 2099

No NAU

imported post

This looks to be a good thing as far as I can tell. It would provide anyone who holds a CHL from another state full privileges of a resident CHL holder.

I agree no one should need a license to carry any way and anywhere they see fit but...

http://landru.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measures/hb2000.dir/hb2099.intro.html

SUMMARY

The following summary is not prepared by the sponsors of the
measure and is not a part of the body thereof subject to
consideration by the Legislative Assembly. It is an editor's
brief statement of the essential features of the measure as
introduced.

Provides persons licensed to carry concealed handgun in another
state with protections provided to persons with Oregon concealed
handgun license.

grishnav

imported post

I'd prefer they issue non-resident licenses, instead of or better yet in addition to reciprocity, the reason being the federal law banning carry at or near schools only responds to a license issued by the state the school is in...

Still, better than nothing.

adamsesq

imported post

grishnav wrote:
I'd prefer they issue non-resident licenses, instead of or better yet in addition to reciprocity, the reason being the federal law banning carry at or near schools only responds to a license issued by the state the school is in...

Can you explain this?

-adamsesq

MountainGator

imported post

grishnav wrote:

As a Non Resident CWP holder from a State that OR does not honor, I too wish that OR would issue Non-resident Permits, but allowing me to not have to worrie about the "Local Ban" on OC is certainly better than nothing.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well, there are two kinds of folks who are uniquely able to challenge the non-resident issuance situation:

1) Resident of a contiguous state, but not a US citizen
2) US Citizen of a non-contiguous state such as Montana, Arizona, Utah, or Michigan.

I hold little hope that a reciprocity or recognition bill would pass. I have more confidence in a court case challenging these two situations.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

FYI, the primary bill to recognize other states' CHLs in Oregon is HB 2463, which has the same language as HB 2099. The good news is that most of HB 2463's sponsors are Democrats (the majority party in both houses of the Oregon Legislative Assembly). See OFF'srecent legislative alertfor more info.

FMCDH

imported post

From my understanding, this type of bill has come up and been voted down in Oregon the lastseveral years running. It would be nice for Oregon to pass this finally, but like Lonnie, I don't see it happening.

I would also like to see wider reciprocity for Washington State CPLs, but that wont happen until they require an accreditedfirearms safety class as part of their own requirements. If they did however, the Wa. CPL would be just about as recognized as the Florida and Utah CC permits I would think.

If Oregon DOES manage to pass this bill, my Oregon CHL may just become very valuable indeed, as many many states would probably be friendly for reciprocity right at the get go.

Still working on my collectionof states. ;)

jmar254

imported post

Copy and paste all these names in your email and add your own Rep. and Senator.

rep.jeffbarker@state.or.us, rep.brentbarton@state.or.us, rep.kevincameron@state.or.us, rep.chrisgarrett@state.or.us,
rep.waynekrieger@state.or.us, rep.andyolson@state.or.us, rep.chipshields@state.or.us, rep.jeffersonsmith@state.or.us, rep.judystiegler@state.or.us, rep.genewhisnant@state.or.us, sen.brianboquist@state.or.us, sen.fredgirod@state.or.us, rep.arnieroblan@state.or.us, rep.ronmaurer@state.or.us, rep.mikeschaufler@state.or.us, tom@guntalk.com

This is the letter I just sent off to all of them, Money Talks, BULLSH*T walks.

Hello,

Having spent 20 some years growing up in Oregon, I would like to come back to vacation someday, but until I can protect myself as I lawfully can do in 37 other states around this beautiful country, by carrying my legally concealed handgun, neither Oregon nor the other 12 states that for some reason think they canprotect myself and family from criminals, will ever see a vacation dollar of mine.

I currently have concealed carry permitsin my home state of Colorado andUtah, please read up on all the regulations, backgroundand fingerprint checks we have to go through to became legally able to carry a concealed handgun.

The criminalshave not gone through the money nor the training it has takenus to be permitted to carryconcealed handguns.

I would suggest you pull the numbers of how many people have registered to carry concealed handguns since November 4, 2008, you could be turning down a lot of money by not passing this bill, or by passing it and having the GOOD GUYS spendtheir money in the great state of Oregon.

It takes money to become legally capableof carrying a handgun, we have money to spend, do you want it or not?

Good Guys spending money in Oregon or continue to let the Bad Guys run our vacation dollars elsewhere.

Its up to you.

Thanks for your time,I hope you do the right thing.

kparker

imported post

I would also like to see wider reciprocity for Washington State CPLs, but that wont happen until they require an accredited firearms safety class as part of their own requirements.

Yeah, I'll support that the day someone provides convincing proof that the states with government-mandated training requirements have consistently lower rates of accidents and illegal or unjustified firearm usage by permit-holders than we do.

Otherwise, forget it--the other states should be moving in WA's direction, not us in theirs.

FMCDH

imported post

kparker wrote:
I would also like to see wider reciprocity for Washington State CPLs, but that wont happen until they require an accredited firearms safety class as part of their own requirements.

Yeah, I'll support that the day someone provides convincing proof that the states with government-mandated training requirements have consistently lower rates of accidents and illegal or unjustified firearm usage by permit-holders than we do.

Otherwise, forget it--the other states should be moving in WA's direction, not us in theirs.
I don't disagree with that at all. Alaska carry is where its at, and that's where the other states should be headed, ESPECIALLY Oregon and Washington. I think if we could get such going in our two states, we would cause a cascade effect, at least on our side of the country.

You will notice however that even Alaska requires proof of training to get a permit. You will also notice how well recognized their permit is. They were not stupid, they are trying to advance their residents ability to carry everywhere they possibly can while not even requiring it for their own state.

That's the way the push needs to go, to follow their example. IMO

LaVere

imported post

I have visited Portland and Oregon several times over the last 3 year. Two days ago I just returned from Portland . While filling up my rental car at Powell and I205. A van of no goods pulled in. I was around 7:30 AM and I was on my way to the airport PDX.

Two real bad guy got our and went in side the station. They gave me the worst hate look I had ever seen. And were scanning the all around while holding up their pants.

I was pissed I could not have my gun with me in Portland. At home in Michigan I carry 24/7.

When they came back out they made a point of walking extra close to my car. My wife who usually in code white got upset.

The attendant was still filling the tank. As a last resort I could have started the car. With the two persons of interest as they say in front and the attendant in back I would have had to run over some one, Not a choice I wanted to make.

Well my point is we need total reciprocity with all states. Only states can and should make the rules. The rules should not vary from county and city. No one could never follow them.

They sure look like BAMF

rpyne

imported post

Update anyone?

I sure would like to make a trip to Oregon this summer, but like others, my travel dollars will be restricted to states that honor my RKBA.