• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Class this weekend

Jblack44

imported post

So I completed the REQUIRED class needed to apply for a CPL. This class is clearly a revenue machine for the state! There really isn't anything taught to you that you wouldn't of considered if you were going to carry a pistol. Veyr basic info on things like where you can and can't carry. What will happen if you do have to use your weapon, and basic gun safety. (Always point your weapon in a safe direction) really?? I didn't know that...

The REQUIRED shooting portion of the class was very basic. No regards to if you could hit the target or not. Just put your 100 rounds through the gun.

I did ask a couple questions regarding open carry. This class was taught by LE. After agreeing that it's completely legal in the state. Don't do it. You'll get arrested. After I said why if it's completely legal? They would respond with disturbing the peace. Even after stating that they are not to approach a MWAG call unless the peson was acting very suspicious or agressive. I asked about carrying open in the gun free zones if you have a CPL. Again it's legal but don't do it. Leave your weapon in the car. So they agree that the law says it legal, but it's not in your best interest, and you'll get arrested. I didn't get into a debate because other people paid there money to take the course not talk about OC.

So the state and the instructors got there money!! $125 plus the $105 for the state! Hope it helps keep the state afloat:cuss:

ghostrider

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
So I completed the REQUIRED class needed to apply for a CPL. This class is clearly a revenue machine for the state! There really isn't anything taught to you that you wouldn't of considered if you were going to carry a pistol. Veyr basic info on things like where you can and can't carry. What will happen if you do have to use your weapon, and basic gun safety. (Always point your weapon in a safe direction) really?? I didn't know that...

The REQUIRED shooting portion of the class was very basic. No regards to if you could hit the target or not. Just put your 100 rounds through the gun.

I did ask a couple questions regarding open carry. This class was taught by LE. After agreeing that it's completely legal in the state. Don't do it. You'll get arrested. After I said why if it's completely legal? They would respond with disturbing the peace. Even after stating that they are not to approach a MWAG call unless the peson was acting very suspicious or agressive. I asked about carrying open in the gun free zones if you have a CPL. Again it's legal but don't do it. Leave your weapon in the car. So they agree that the law says it legal, but it's not in your best interest, and you'll get arrested. I didn't get into a debate because other people paid there money to take the course not talk about OC.

So the state and the instructors got there money!! $125 plus the $105 for the state! Hope it helps keep the state afloat:cuss:

Believe it or not, a lot of people who take those classes do not spend much time on the computer looking up laws, nor are they interested in finding that information before taking the class. They’d rather someone else do it for them, and then pay that person to tell them the relevant points. I met a man just last week that reported that he just took his class, and talked about how great the class was and how much he learned. One of the clerks at my local gun shop also recently took his, and also reported on how much he learned at the class. The sad truth is that the majority of the people who take these classes are not as interested in learning about it as many of us are. That’s why I really don’t have so much of a problem when the instructors encourage people not to OC.

When I took my class, OC was not covered, but the instructor taught that the gun being exposed while CC’ing would be illegal. I knew better, but like you said, “people don’t pay money for a CPL class only to hear about OC.”

Sure, it would be better if they covered the topic in a way that didn’t mislead, but then that would 1) detract from the actual topic of the class, and 2) make the class longer.

Really, all the instructor would have to do is say, “it’s legal, but if you don’t fully research it, then I don’t recommend you do it.” and leave it at that. If anyone has any questions, just tell them that it’s up to them to find the answers. (I'm not sure what the liability would be for something like that). The class is for CPL, not OC.

One of the instructors at MICPL said that they tell people it's legal, but recommend against it IIRC.

Jblack44

imported post

As was pointed out to me, I want to clarify that what I was trying to convey in my thread was that the classes that are required by the state are really about. Them getting there money, not so much about the responsiblity of carrying a pistol for protection.Also the open carry isn't even mentioned, which makes sense because the issue at hand is concealed carry. I was looking to see the mindset of the people who run these classes. As far as whats required from the class that's decided by lawmakers, so if they are happy than so am I.

greenthumb

imported post

I also attended a class this weekend at my local rod and gun club. A very basic course on pistol safety. 50 rounds on the range. Class was advertised as a CPL course but was more geared toward Home Defense with a Pistol. One Instructor was NRA certified, the other was a retired trooper, and a guest speaker, ex prosecutor. Not one mention of OC. Two of us ask the lawyer after his speech about OC and about gun free zones, his response was, don't carry guns in gun free zones no matter what, and yes OC is legal but don't do it you will be arrested for brandishing and disturbing the peace. Myself and this other gentleman asked if he heard of this web site, all he had to say was, Don't believe everything you read on the internet. we left it at that he did not want to answer any more questions on that subject. I believe this lawyer to be pro-gun but not experienced in the firearms laws. Not that I'm an expert, but he should be.
I have to agree with Jblack44, if this type of class is what the state deems credible to carry concealed than thats what I will do. I just can't believe this is all the state wants us to know.

taxwhat

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:

Sorry I Have to due this again ! PLEASE tell [ Me , US] WHAT is a legal CPL class ? Your LIFE may depend on it !!

taxwhat

imported post

LaRoy wrote:
I also attended a class this weekend at my local rod and gun club. A very basic course on pistol safety. 50 rounds on the range. Class was advertised as a CPL course but was more geared toward Home Defense with a Pistol. One Instructor was NRA certified, the other was a retired trooper, and a guest speaker, ex prosecutor. Not one mention of OC. Two of us ask the lawyer after his speech about OC and about gun free zones, his response was, don't carry guns in gun free zones no matter what, and yes OC is legal but don't do it you will be arrested for brandishing and disturbing the peace. Myself and this other gentleman asked if he heard of this web site, all he had to say was, Don't believe everything you read on the internet. we left it at that he did not want to answer any more questions on that subject. I believe this lawyer to be pro-gun but not experienced in the firearms laws. Not that I'm an expert, but he should be.
I have to agree with Jblack44, if this type of class is what the state deems credible to carry concealed than thats what I will do. I just can't believe this is all the state wants us to know.
AND to you too !....Sorry I Have to due this again ! PLEASE tell [ Me , US] WHAT is a legal CPL class ? Your LIFE may depend on it !!

taxwhat

imported post

This soap box brought to you by reading ,righting and rithmatic ! So you own a gun and you want to bad mouth a law or restriction by legal or illegal law but you have done NO [Nada ,never looked ,cant back up what you say] Research. Please get off your powder Kegs and Read ,Research and challenge with Facts PLEASE ! Sorry if I hurt any ones ego . I now return you back to CCW , Weapons and YOU got one !,,, http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20182.html

greenthumb

imported post

Well, how can I help?? I have done alot of research in the past several months on this site as well as MSP site. I know where I can and can't go openly carrying a firearm. I believe I can properly handle my firearm. I don't need someone like a Certified NRA Instructor or an ex-LEO to show or tell me how. I read in the CPL package that I picked up at the sheriff's office that I need to take a CPL course, and MUST be NRA certified, in compliance with Public Act 372 of 1927. This what I did. taxwhat, Aren't you a NRA instructor, I think I read that somewhere, you should know what is required by the state to obtain a CPL. I don't believe that I was bad mouthing any law or restriction. I'm just stating that if this is all the state requires, thats what i did. How else am I going to fulfill the States requirements to Carry a Concealed Firearm. If what I did was wrong, or illegal, please explain.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Taxwhat is a NRA certified instructor. I believe what he is saying is that most instructors teach what is required by the state and they don't always follow the NRA requirements. If they do that thenthey are NOTcertified to teach the course and your classwork is null and void. Really simple. BUT if your instructor teaches the NRA course AND what is required by the state you would meet the requirements of both and your certificate should be valid.

There is something else, you have to be taught the basic firearms class first. If an instructor follows the NRA class and the state requirements you will have meet this basic class requirements as well as the other requirements.

Taxwhat feels that 8 hours is not enough time to properly teach both the NRA and state requirements. He is just putting that out there for people to think about. It's technical but if you are involved in a shooting the prosecutor may delve into this technicality and charge you with a felony for signing a document that didn't meet requirements. He might also claim that your were not properly trained and that won't look good in front of a jury.

Dis you shoot at least 195 rounds? Dis you shoot a paper plate sized target at 5, 7, 15 yards? Dis you take a written test? Just to ask a few questions. These are all required by the NRA, if you didn't follow their requirements then perhaps you did not meet the state requirement that states you must be taught by a NRA instructor. It's just food for thought.

You can go to the NRA website and see the requirements for certification for Michigan. If you were instructed in the NRA curriculum AND the state required courses then you are okay. If not, well then.....

taxwhat

imported post

Simply put I never need to prove what is a legal CPL class but YOU may Need to ? One May Exceed but May [ SHALL ] never make it Less Than ? At the arrangement an lawyer will be appointed for YOU with charge sheet ! :what:

Jblack44

imported post

I see whathis point is. Who defines the actual requirements? The State or NRA or both?Who verifies that the class you took meets all requirements?The State or NRA or both?And who audits these classes to verify that they are meeting all requirements. Woudln't this be the states and the NRA's job as well? If a person or place of business decides to offer a class, then the STATE would issue a certificate stating that the information taught meets all guidelines required.

My class taught everything that was required by the NRA and the State. I was just stating that the requirements aren't very elaborate.

taxwhat

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
I see whathis point is. Who defines the actual requirements? The State or NRA or both?Who verifies that the class you took meets all requirements?The State or NRA or both?And who audits these classes to verify that they are meeting all requirements. Woudln't this be the states and the NRA's job as well? If a person or place of business decides to offer a class, then the STATE would issue a certificate stating that the information taught meets all guidelines required.

My class taught everything that was required by the NRA and the State. I was just stating that the requirements aren't very elaborate.
Eye Wide OPEN ! Now ask everyone in the system ,WHAT is a legal CPL class ? "My class taught everything that was required by the NRA and the State. I was just stating that the requirements aren't very elaborate. " Did it ? SAYS WHO ?

custom.45acp

imported post

Taxwhat,

What is that you want out of the students that have taken CPL class in the state of Michigan? Do you want them to relinquish their CPL because they didn’t spend a total of 28,800 seconds in a classroom that was taught by incompetent police officers or lawyers? Shall they all give up that license and re-take a class provided by you? Maybe spend another $300 out of their pockets to learn what else? My class instructor was a few years older than my son; do you think he knows firearms any better than I do, just because he is a police officer? What is it, exactly, that you want to hear from the attendees, that their instructors were ignorant or maybe they like so many others want to get paid more per hour? (Class is $150 divided by 8 hours is $18.75 per hour for each student or $150 divided by 7 hours is $21.43 an hour per student.)

Isn’t funny how our society works? If you brag about purchasing a vehicle, one would say I spent $21,000, not the full stick price of $28,000. If you’re at work, it’s the opposite, blow your own horn about how much you made per hour.

Just maybe, we can take a closer look at this. Instead of crucifying the student and scaring them with felonies, let’s put the blame on the incompetent instructors. Let’s fine them $100,00 per student that they have unjustly taught. AND, if any of these students shall happen to shoot anyone that isn’t within their legal rights, then the instructor shall be charged with a felony that would be equal to that of the shooter. How many instructors would be taking their jobs more seriously? GET REAL, they’d find another way to rip off the system! Maybe we should waste the taxpayer’s money and have the FBI or CIA investigate the instructors. Seriously, what is the criminal charge to an instructor that doesn’t follow the guidelines? A slap on the hand, because he/she’s a police officer/lawyer and the student whom is supposed to be taught about the law, goes to prison for a felony.

Maybe you should wear a bulletproof vest because of all the CPL holders out there that didn’t have their full classroom time. If I were you, I would be more afraid of the under-trained officers; there are probably just as many. Or, even more afraid of the criminals carrying guns that have no, I mean none, training with a firearm! (Maybe, the latter reason, is why so many of us are going to the classes to acquire a CPL.)

Custom.45acp

taxwhat

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Taxwhat,

What is that you want out of the students that have taken CPL class in the state of Michigan? Do you want them to relinquish their CPL because they didn’t spend a total of 28,800 seconds in a classroom that was taught by incompetent police officers or lawyers? Shall they all give up that license and re-take a class provided by you? Maybe spend another $300 out of their pockets to learn what else? My class instructor was a few years older than my son; do you think he knows firearms any better than I do, just because he is a police officer? What is it, exactly, that you want to hear from the attendees, that their instructors were ignorant or maybe they like so many others want to get paid more per hour? (Class is $150 divided by 8 hours is $18.75 per hour for each student or $150 divided by 7 hours is $21.43 an hour per student.)

Isn’t funny how our society works? If you brag about purchasing a vehicle, one would say I spent $21,000, not the full stick price of $28,000. If you’re at work, it’s the opposite, blow your own horn about how much you made per hour.

Just maybe, we can take a closer look at this. Instead of crucifying the student and scaring them with felonies, let’s put the blame on the incompetent instructors. Let’s fine them $100,00 per student that they have unjustly taught. AND, if any of these students shall happen to shoot anyone that isn’t within their legal rights, then the instructor shall be charged with a felony that would be equal to that of the shooter. How many instructors would be taking their jobs more seriously? GET REAL, they’d find another way to rip off the system! Maybe we should waste the taxpayer’s money and have the FBI or CIA investigate the instructors. Seriously, what is the criminal charge to an instructor that doesn’t follow the guidelines? A slap on the hand, because he/she’s a police officer/lawyer and the student whom is supposed to be taught about the law, goes to prison for a felony.

Maybe you should wear a bulletproof vest because of all the CPL holders out there that didn’t have their full classroom time. If I were you, I would be more afraid of the under-trained officers; there are probably just as many. Or, even more afraid of the criminals carrying guns that have no, I mean none, training with a firearm! (Maybe, the latter reason, is why so many of us are going to the classes to acquire a CPL.)

Custom.45acp
May be what I what is TRUTH and Transparency in Government !:idea:

Jblack44

imported post

This is from the MSP website...

[align=center]PISTOL SAFETY TRAINING COURSE [/align][font=Arial,Arial]

[align=left]Those required to take the Pistol Safety training course include: [/align]

[align=left]1. All new applicants. [/align]

[align=left]2. Those who had a concealed pistol license (general or restricted) prior to July 1, 2001, and are renewing for the first time under the new statute. [/align]

[align=left]The educational requirements are waived for an applicant who is a retired police officer or a retired law enforcement officer. The county gun board may require a letter from the employer that the applicant retired from his or her employment in good standing as a police officer or law enforcement officer. Attorney General Opinion 7182 defines the terms "retired police officer" or "retired law enforcement officer," to mean "a certified police officer or law enforcement officer who retired in good standing from his or her employment as a police or law enforcement officer and who is receiving a retirement benefit." Additionally, the Act defines the terms "retired police officer" or "law enforcement officer" to mean "an individual who was a certified police officer or certified law enforcement officer as those terms are defined under section 2(k) of the commission on the law enforcement standards act, 1965 203, MCL 28.602, and retired in good standing from his or her employment as a police officer or law enforcement officer." [/align]

[align=left]The training required under this Act must be a program certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides instruction in at least all of the following: [/align]

[align=left]• The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol [/align]

[align=left]• Ammunition knowledge and the fundamentals of pistol shooting [/align]

[align=left]• Pistol shooting positions [/align]

[align=left]• Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force [/align]

[align=left]• Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation [/align]

[align=left]• All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state [/align]

[align=left]• At least 5 hours of instruction, and 3 hours of range time, which requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition [/align]

[align=left]The instructor must be certified by this state or a national organization and trained in the use of deadly force. The instructor must provide a signed certificate of completion to the applicant stating that the individual successfully completed the course, and must [/align][suP]

[align=left]*
[/font][font=Arial,Arial]Passport Photo standards: Taken alone, sufficiently recent to be a good likeness (normally taken within the last 6 months), with an image size from bottom of chin to top of head (including hair) of between 1 and 1 3/8 inches. Photo must be clear, front view, full face, taken in normal street attire without a hat or dark glasses with a white or off-white background. They must be capable of withstanding a mounting temperature of 225° Fahrenheit (107° Celsius). Snapshots, most vending machine prints, and magazine or full-length photographs are unacceptable. [/align][/suP]

[align=left]RI-012 (1/07) - Instructions
[/font][font=Arial,Arial]4 [/align][/font][font=Arial,Arial]

[align=left]contain the printed name and signature of the instructor. The certificate shall contain the statement "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372." [/align]

[align=left]The following organizations are currently offering Certified Pistol Safety Training courses: [/align]

[align=left]Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) [/align]

[/font][font=Arial,Arial]

[align=left]http://www.mcoles.org
[/font][font=Arial,Arial]or (517) 322-6525 [/align]

[align=left]National Rifle Association (NRA) [/align]

[align=left]http://www.nrahq.org/safety/education
[/font][font=Arial,Arial]or (703) 267-1430 [/align]

[align=left]Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) [/align]

[align=left]http://www.mcrgo.org
[/font][font=Arial,Arial]or (517) 484-2746 [/align]

[align=left]This list is not an all-inclusive list of certified instructors or facilities. An applicant may wish to contact his or her county gun board to inquire about other certified instructors or sites. [/align]

[align=left]The county gun board may wish to confirm the validity of a certificate of completion by confirming the instructor’s certification with the organization that provided certification. [/align]

[align=left]A person who either, grants a certificate of completion to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course, or presents a certificate of completion to a gun board knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course, is guilty of a felony punishable by 4 years in prison and/or a $2,500 fine. [/align]
[/font]

[align=center][/align]
[font=Arial,Arial][/font]

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Synopsis:

Waaah! CPL classes!

Here's how to fix it: Write your state legislators and tell them that you want the CCW law amended to make it illegal to carry concealed ONLY during the commission of a crime! As a result, this will eliminate the CPL licensing schema altogether!

taxwhat

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Synopsis:

Waaah! CPL classes!

Here's how to fix it: Write your state legislators and tell them that you want the CCW law amended to make it illegal to carry concealed ONLY during the commission of a crime! As a result, this will eliminate the CPL licensing schema altogether!
Why not do like Vermont ?