• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another misguided, uninformed, bitter, scared anti-gunner with a newspaper

AbNo

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Reads like the typical pseudo-intellectual liberal drivel. There is no topic on which they will not pontificate sarcastically, endlessly and erroneously.

AbNo wrote:
SNIP
In closing, I would like to remind you that it has been said "journalism died in 2008". I would ask that you put down the hammer and nails, and step away from the coffin.
Well and cleverly said!!
Did I mention I CC'd a couple of their other contact emails? :D

TFred

imported post

And don't forget, largely thanks to such fine anti-gun organizations as the Free Lance-Star (and other reasons too...), there are many Virginia residents who have decided to obtain Utah permits instead of Virginia permits.

Utah permits do not show up in the reports, because they have wisely protected their permit-holder information from public release. Obviously, since the training is limited to certified instructors, and there are only so many of those in this area, we aren't talking thousands per year, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were in the hundreds per year, state wide.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

How is this for a rapid response from the VSP!
The numbers speak loudly for themselves! :celebrate

Yata hey

Dear Sir,

The following information is provided in response to your request, and pursuant to the provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

1) Total number of concealed handgun permits (CHP)issued to residents of Va. as of latest available date.

Number of active CHP as of February 2, 2009 = 175,338

2) Percentage increase from one year prior in issuance of these CHPs.

Number CHP issued 2008 = 55,864 (increase of 34.7%)

Number CHP issued 2007 = 41,472

3) Total number of non-resident CHPs issued.

Total nonresident permits issued as of today = 2,597

I trust this information will be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager
Firearms Transaction Center
Virginia Department of State Police
Tel: (804) 674-2210
Fax: (804) 674-2791
Email: mail to Donna.Tate@vsp.virginia.gov

Thundar

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
TFred wrote:
If I wait until he turns and runs with my money and then shoot him in the back, I've acted as cop, jury, judge and executioner over the loss of a few bucks and a couple of credit cards.

Not true. He has acted as civilian, judge and executioner. There is a difference.

He will be arrested. Once the threat is over, a civilian can't shoot a man in the back.
I don't know Sheriff. IIRC didn't the Ice Cream Man getaway with such a shooting without being prosecuted in Richmond?

Bubba Ron

imported post

I agree with nemo "Cops are civilians too" - our law enforcement community is becoming more "military-like" and less "protect and serve" every year....a trend that needs to be reversed in my opinion. We are citizens and community members, just like the police.

nemo wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Not true. He has acted as civilian, judge and executioner. There is a difference. He will be arrested. Once the threat is over, a civilian can't shoot a man in the back.
Cops are civilians, too, but I get your point. But I always get my dander up at the erroneous concept that you implied: a "non-cop" cannot take the law into his own hands. The only reason that cops are legally allowed to do some things and that "non-cops" are not is that our legislators, i.e., the representatives of THE PEOPLE, have decreed this to be so, and we, THE PEOPLE, have not (yet) objected.

The law IS in our hands, and it always has been. Law enforcement is not something that citizens seize from the police. It is a societal function that citizens delegate TO the police. In doing so, we do NOT abdicate our own sovereignty nor our duties as citizens. When the police we collectively hire are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law or standard that says we cannot perform it for ourselves. Indeed, when personally threatened, we will likely have no choice!

hsmith

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Dear Sir,

The following information is provided in response to your request, and pursuant to the provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

1) Total number of concealed handgun permits (CHP)issued to residents of Va. as of latest available date.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager

:what:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I still think his numbers are off. There were less that 10,000 permit holders when "Shall Issue" passed. So from that point until March of 2007 the number of permit holders rose to 132,000 according to the Roanoke Times, who if you will recall published the entire list around that time. But that 132,000 number had been almost stable for about 3 years.

So here we are not quite 2 years later and we have an increase of 25,000? It might be legit but it still seems a little high.
Actually, what I have read is that the numbers of permit holders have been rising dramatically. Could not find actually updated figures though so have sent an email to VSP requesting this. Will report findings here.

Yata hey
Knowing how many students our company alone has taught in 2008, I think those numbers may be fairly accurate.

Hey!!! I didn't say that. Grapeshot got a little sloppy with his "quoting"!

Besides, I wouldn't have questioned the numbers. I would have been more sagacious. Confronted with a possibleanti-gunner lie like that, I would have run with it to my advantage. :)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Besides, I wouldn't have questioned the numbers. I would have been more sagacious. Confronted with a possibleanti-gunner lie like that, I would have run with it to my advantage. :)

Well the actual 175,000 is a lot better number than the 150,000 that he used in his "article". But since these are CHPs, It is doubtful that OC had a lot to do with it. The OC message os that you don't need no stinking permits.:lol:

Thanks to Grapeshot for the research.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:

Did not get sloppy at all - in fact it was a direct copy and paste of Donna Tate's reply.

The numbers are accurate as reported.

Percentage increase from one year prior in issuance of these CHPs.

The math is: 55,864 - 41,472 = 14,472/41472 = 34.7+%

The 34.7% is an increase for 2008 over the 2007 figures.

Yata hey

PS - Be ready for a pop quiz. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I have this theory that the more CHPs there are, the better potential there is to get some of them to come out of the closet and OC.

It works with many that I have talked to, who sometimes say, "I didn't know you could do that! Maybe I'll try it." I give 'em a card and invite them to dinner or breakfast.

Problem is that we have no accurate gauge for our numbers.

Yata hey

rebfan

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Dear Sir,

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager
This is great news, though we continue to turn "Blue".

hsmith

imported post

almost 200,000 - soon the Potomac will flow red with blood!!! the Chesapeake will be as maroon as VT's colors!

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Did not get sloppy at all - in fact it was a direct copy and paste of Donna Tate's reply.

The numbers are accurate as reported.

Percentage increase from one year prior in issuance of these CHPs.

The math is: 55,864 - 41,472 = 14,472/41472 = 34.7+%

The 34.7% is an increase for 2008 over the 2007 figures.

Yata hey

PS - Be ready for a pop quiz. :lol:
This analysis is not entirely sure, because they don't tell us how many CHPs expired and were not renewed during 2008, but... drawing entirely from the numbers they provided,

# CHPs at end of 2008 = about 170,000 (175K - one month's worth at 55K per year)
# CHPs at end of 2007 = 170,000 - 55,864 = 114,136

% increase during 2008 = 55,864 / 114,136 = 48.95%

That's huge!

You'd have to add the expired/not renewed CHPs to the denominator, which would make the % increase smaller, but still, that's a big increase. I suspect they would be happy to provide the number at the end of 2007 if you asked, and if they had it.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Oh, yes you did. :p

Look in the middle-most quote. That's Hawkflyer's text, with my name attached.

Now, if he is saying something wise or insightful, do feel free to attribute it to me. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:

Now, if he is saying something wise or insightful, do feel free to attribute it to me. :D
Can't tell the difference from here - you all look the same to me. :) To whom do I owe the apology?

I'll do better next time, really I will. Can I go now? :?

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Can't tell the difference from here - you all look the same to me. :) To whom do I owe the apology?

Yata hey
I am the tall good looking one and he ... Well he looks different. As to apologies, I don't know. Depends on who's buying.:celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Yata hey
I am the tall good looking one and he ... Well he looks different. As to apologies, I don't know. Depends on who's buying.:celebrate
I may be sorry (some say I am) but I didn't say I was that sorry.
Where is Tomahawk when ya need him - he has experience in that field, I'm told.

Actually. I would be pleased to do so whenever we meet.:) Note to self - make note.

Yata hey