• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I hear alot of talk on tape recorders ?

Majorpain

imported post

I've heard alot of you Californian's talking about tape recorder's. I was just wondering why you take one with you is it for just in case something does happen?

I lived in California for a little under a year. Fresh out of high school I drove down there to work for my uncle. Living in Wyoming my whole life and practically never leaving the state I was unaware of the different law's concerning firearm's. So any way 10mi after entering California, Igot pulled over for impeding traffic (I was going the speed limit no one else was) I think it was just because I hadWyoming plates on my truck. At the timeI was 18 years old this was in 2005. Driving through Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, thenCalifornia, I had a 1911 .45 on my side OC, my grandfathers Beretta, My Romanian Ak-47, My Bushmaster Ar-15, andMy Saiga 12 allloaded and in plain sight in the back of my pickup. Oop's I didn't even thinkof looking up state and local law's before leaving home. I was just to excited to see a new place I guess, and unaware that different state's may have different law's.

After gettingpulled over Ihaded the officer my DL, Insurance,Ect and notified the officer thatI was carrying a sidearmOC and that I had several more firearm's in the back of the vheicle. Well Lucky for me the officer was pro gun. He asked me what I had in the back and Itold him.I was told to turn around and take it all out of California or risk getting pulled over by someone else and going to a federal prison for a minimum of 10 year's. My 1911 was the only California legal firearm and I was still in violation of California law because it was condition 2 ready at the flip of a safety and squeez of a trigger. I have Openly carried in Wyoming since I was 14 year's old, with no problems what so ever here. Wyoming is one of the few state's that hasno law against minors possessing a firearm.

So anyway I never want to go back to that communist state even to visit family. I don't mean to offend anyone by that statement, I realise some of you like living there,but that's just how I felt after living there for 11 month's. I felt I had left America behind with all of California's law's and don't do's. Well that was my Californian Experience So, What are the Tape recorder's for?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Majorpain,
Welcome to the forum.
"Tape recorders?"
We are in the midst of political activism. The experiences each of us have will contribute to the body of knowledge concerning public and police reaction to open carry of a firearm. To be most useful the information has to be as accurate as possible. In the heat of the moment we may not remember all that is said by all of the parties involved.
If someone confronts me, while carrying, I inform them that I am recording our conversation (required by law). If they ask why, I tell them that I have a lousy memory and if I have to relate our conversation I don't want to misquote them.
Also, their permission is not required, they just need to be informed that the conversation is being recorded.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I thought the requirement in California was that the person you were recording should have a reasonable expectation that the conversation you are having is private. Talking on the phone with somebody else requires you inform the other person that you are recording them, but my understanding was recording somebody in a public place meant that you didn't need to inform anybody of anything.

See second paragraph:
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/california/california-recording-law

Decoligny

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Majorpain,
Welcome to the forum.
"Tape recorders?"
We are in the midst of political activism. The experiences each of us have will contribute to the body of knowledge concerning public and police reaction to open carry of a firearm. To be most useful the information has to be as accurate as possible. In the heat of the moment we may not remember all that is said by all of the parties involved.
If someone confronts me, while carrying, I inform them that I am recording our conversation (required by law). If they ask why, I tell them that I have a lousy memory and if I have to relate our conversation I don't want to misquote them.
Also, their permission is not required, they just need to be informed that the conversation is being recorded.
I think you are mistaken on this one.California is considered a two party consent state only in regards to the recording of telephone conversations/wire communication.When two people are holding a conversation in a public place, there is no expectation of privacy, and recording of a public conversation is perfectly legal.