• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in West Virginia

Arby238

imported post

I have a Connecticut resident CC permit and a New Hampshire non-resident permit.

I am traveling to Tennessee. I know I can not CC in West Virginia, but can I OC? If I can if I have a IWB holster and tuck in my shirt so the receiver shows is this considered OC?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

I don't have a good answer for you.

West Virginia law has only distinguished between OC and CC since 1989. As for the definition of "concealed," W.Va. Code § 61-7-2(10) provides that:
"Concealed" means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the deadly weapon was being carried.
However, there is no case law interpreting the definition of "concealed" under West Virginia law. I definitely would not try IWB carry if you do not have a concealed carry license that my state honors.

You also face some impediments due to various firearm regulations contained in W.Va. Code § 20-2-5 and which are discussed in some other threads here in the West Virginia section.

I am going to speculate that you are only going through our Eastern Panhandle. If that is the case, I definitely recommend that you just unload & lock up before crossing into Maryland from Pennsylvania and then not reload until you get to Virginia. On I-81, that's only around a half hour to go through both MD & WV.

Since you seem to travel a bit, I would also recommend getting a Florida CCW, which would greatly expand the number of states where you can carry. Florida should accept the same proof of training you used in CT.