Thread: Anyone know if this would be legal to open carry?

Post imported post

http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

The above shotgun is classified as a "AOW". Now I know you can't open carry a handgun in Texas currently, and can open carry a long gun legally, but where does a "AOW" (Any Other Weapon) fall? This is more of a hypothetical question, but just seems cool if you could have a custom leg holster/restraint made and strap that 16" bad boy to your thigh! Although not practical, it would just be fun to see the looks you would get if you could legally open carry it.

Activist Member

Post imported post

I'm far from an expert on TX law, and in fact know virtually nothing about it.

However, according to: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...ighlightType=1

Title 10, Section 46.01.5
    "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:

"Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.
    Does that mean if i lift weights hard core for the next year and can wield a M-60 like Rambo I can open carry that? Because that would be awesome

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
    I'm far from an expert on TX law, and in fact know virtually nothing about it.

If that's true, then since the Serbu has two handles, quite clearly made for two hands, then it may be considered a long gun?

It has a pistol grip though... I'd consult with the local yokels on this one (err, I mean, attorneys).

Post imported post

Prophet wrote:
    Felid`Maximus wrote:
    Does that mean if i lift weights hard core for the next year and can wield a M-60 like Rambo I can open carry that? Because that would be awesome
    How do you keep someone from sneaking up and twisting off your belt links?
    Or are you going to tote that heavy feed case?
    Besides an M-60 without tracers, is like BHO without a spending bill. What good is it?

Now if we can just get the govmnt to let us have personal microstamps.
    I want my brass to say "Bite Me" when fired

Post imported post

Local gun store had one......$850, plus tax and a $25 federal tax stamp. Was told that someone makes a belt holster for it.

Probably would be legal carry in Arizona, but hey, I'm not in Texas. :celebrate

Post imported post

The Serbu is a smooth bore pistol and therefore considered an AOW under federal law and the federal tax is $5 to register (transfer) it. Therefore it can't be openly carried in Texas.
    However if you wanted to carry something like that openly in Texas you would need to cough up the $200 to the feds before chopping up a shotgun to make a copy of the Serbu. That may or may not be legal as it would be a short barrel shotgun and not an AOW. Of course before doing that you would want to check with ATF and the appropriate people in Texas and get the OK first in writting since IANAL.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Go back to the web site in the first post. You will find that the same folks who make the shorty also make a holster for it. $$145.00 Awfull lot of money for a little nylon and velcro

Activist Member

Post imported post

Well, it looks like the Serbu is out.

There is also an M1 Carbine holster though. An M1 Carbine, I would imagine, would not be considered a handgun. It would be a bit bigger though, even in folding stock configuration.
    http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...oducts_id=7381

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/usarmygear.html#Scabbard, Carbine, M1A1, Parachutists

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Why?

The whole point is self defense and while a shotgun would be better than a pistol in a defensive role, this has all the disadvantages of both and almost none of the advantages of either. Every LEO that sees the thing on your hip is going to pull you out for special treatment.

I'll bet you drive an El Camino?
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

I've wanted a Serbu Super-Shorty since the day I first saw that hunk of AOW goodness. I don't care if it's PC to carry it. I'd OC that in a thigh-rig and love every second of it.

Post imported post

Just FYI, you can pay $5 and file a Form 1 to make your own AOW smoothbore pistol provided the gun you are using is a virgin pistol grip from the factory (i.e. has never had a stock on it) and is not arifled barrel. Remington 870s are the usual choice.

If you use a gun that has ever had a stock at any time (theoretically even for a couple of minutes) then you must pay $200 and Form 1 it as an SBS(short barrel shotgun).