• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know if this would be legal to open carry?

Blinn79

imported post

http://serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

The above shotgun is classified as a "AOW". Now I know you can't open carry a handgun in Texas currently, and can open carry a long gun legally, but where does a "AOW" (Any Other Weapon) fall? This is more of a hypothetical question, but just seems cool if you could have a custom leg holster/restraint made and strap that 16" bad boy to your thigh! Although not practical, it would just be fun to see the looks you would get if you could legally open carry it.

Prophet

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
I'm far from an expert on TX law, and in fact know virtually nothing about it.

However, according to: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx....eryText=handgun<OR>definition&HighlightType=1

Title 10, Section 46.01.5
"Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

If that's true, then since the Serbu has two handles, quite clearly made for two hands, then it may be considered a long gun?

It has a pistol grip though... I'd consult with the local yokels on this one (err, I mean, attorneys).

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
Does that mean if i lift weights hard core for the next year and can wield a M-60 like Rambo I can open carry that? Because that would be awesome
How do you keep someone from sneaking up and twisting off your belt links?
Or are you going to tote that heavy feed case?
Besides an M-60 without tracers, is like BHO without a spending bill. What good is it?
:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Now if we can just get the govmnt to let us have personal microstamps.
I want my brass to say "Bite Me" when fired :lol:

GWbiker

imported post

Local gun store had one......$850, plus tax and a $25 federal tax stamp. Was told that someone makes a belt holster for it.

Probably would be legal carry in Arizona, but hey, I'm not in Texas. :celebrate

jeeper1

imported post

The Serbu is a smooth bore pistol and therefore considered an AOW under federal law and the federal tax is $5 to register (transfer) it. Therefore it can't be openly carried in Texas.
However if you wanted to carry something like that openly in Texas you would need to cough up the $200 to the feds before chopping up a shotgun to make a copy of the Serbu. That may or may not be legal as it would be a short barrel shotgun and not an AOW. Of course before doing that you would want to check with ATF and the appropriate people in Texas and get the OK first in writting since IANAL.

buzzsaw

imported post

Go back to the web site in the first post. You will find that the same folks who make the shorty also make a holster for it. $$145.00 Awfull lot of money for a little nylon and velcro

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why?

The whole point is self defense and while a shotgun would be better than a pistol in a defensive role, this has all the disadvantages of both and almost none of the advantages of either. Every LEO that sees the thing on your hip is going to pull you out for special treatment.

I'll bet you drive an El Camino?:lol:

shad0wfax

imported post

I've wanted a Serbu Super-Shorty since the day I first saw that hunk of AOW goodness. I don't care if it's PC to carry it. I'd OC that in a thigh-rig and love every second of it.

crotalus01

imported post

Just FYI, you can pay $5 and file a Form 1 to make your own AOW smoothbore pistol provided the gun you are using is a virgin pistol grip from the factory (i.e. has never had a stock on it) and is not arifled barrel. Remington 870s are the usual choice.

If you use a gun that has ever had a stock at any time (theoretically even for a couple of minutes) then you must pay $200 and Form 1 it as an SBS(short barrel shotgun).