Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compacts

Post imported post

I was thinking about a compact handgun and wanted the opinions and experience you guys got. I carried a glock 22, not exactly small, then for a very short time a Taurus millenium pro 9mm compact. Though smaller I liked the glocks feel better and was thinking about something along the lines of a glock 36. Anyone carry this or has shot it?

Or maybe suggest another kind of compact firearm. Id like to be able to get my whole hand on it and though im not a small fella I do have smaller than average hands. The Taurus would have left my pinky hanging free if not for the finger grooved magazine cap, so you can get an idea of the pistol size. I just didnt really care for it that much though.

Id also like a larger caliber; not a 9mm pretty much

Thanks!

Post imported post

Glock 36 is the only Glock that I really liked shooting. It's their only single stack model so maybe that had something to do with it.

My smallest carry piece is a Springfield EMP. It's a 1911 designed around the 9mm, rather than a 1911 shimmed for the 9mm. It's a great carry piece.

I've shot a 26 in .40 and it was pretty snappy. Same with the CZ Rami in .40

Have you looked at the XD Subcompacts? They come in 9mm, .40 and 357SIG. It comes with the smaller 10rd mag, but also a fullsize magazine for larger capacity.

Post imported post

ooh good idea, I'd love to try an XD! The reason I asked specifically about the 36 is with the small gun comes a smaller mag so I figured a 45 would be a better option so I looked at glock 36 and 30. That's why I come here I'd forgotten about the springfields. Thank ya!

Post imported post

Kahr Arms has a really fine collection of compacts in 9MM .40 cal and .45. If I had the $$$ I'd buy a Kahr .45. Only like 5&1 but in .45 well,,you know,,
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 23 or 27.
    I love the (sub)compact size as opposed to full size.

They are great guns and the size of the compact may actual fit your hand better.

Post imported post

I have an XD9sc and I love it. Easy to conceal, no OC in TX yet, accurate and lite recoil.:P

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

EAA Witness compact .45 or .40 S&W

Para Ordinance P12.45, P13.45or Warthog P10.45

Colt 1911 Officers model
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

My two OC/CC compacts:

Star Firestar M-43, SA 9mm single stack 7+1. All STEEL, therefore heavy, but very reliable and accurate.

Taurus 745Pro,.45ACP, DAO single stack 6+1. Reliable and accurate, after the front sight has been worked on!

Post imported post

Your all awesome! I'm going to make a trip to the gun shop. Time to cover the glass with drool :shock:

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've been carrying a Makarov IJ70 9mm (9x18) part of the time (looks like the Hungarian PA-63). I suppose it would fall in the compact category. Capacity is 8+1. It's a nice little semi that eats up the Wolf ammo without a problem. I'm considering trying to get a CZ85 Mak that holds 12+1.

Don't have any esperinece with many other semi's. I do like the Barretta 92.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

First, we should define compact so there is commonality regarding the size of the piece. The best examples in my collection for standard, compact, and subcompact sizes are as follows. Standard sizes would be the 1911 (Kimber and Springfield Armory). Compacts would be the Glock 19 and 23, and the Kahr K9 and K40 series. Subcompacts would be the Glock 26 and 27, the Kahr PM9 and MK9 series.

So to answer your question, my primary carry piece is a compact: specifically one of my Glock 23's. I also include in that a Glock 19, a Kahr K9 Elite '03 and a Kahr K40 Elite '98. According to a well known gun writer (in the gun culture), the Glock 23 is the best all around combat defensive sidearm. The writer is Boston T. Party and this info comes from his book, "Boston's Gun Bible". Yes it is his opinion, however he presents other good choices as well.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I carry my Kel Tec PF9 as my subcompact CCW gun. Fits right into just about any pocket. 8 rds of 9mm isn't anything to sneeze at in this small a package, and it's reliable too. Accuracy is so-so, but you can't expect too much in a gun this small. Within the realm where most self defense shootings take place, it will definitely put rounds COM to stop the threat.

Post imported post

Springfield EMP, smallest 1911 out there, and definitely the best fitting handgun in its size:

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    Springfield EMP, smallest 1911 out there, and definitely the best fitting handgun in its size:
    Nowthat I like!

How many rounds does that hold?

I would never have chosen a 1911 because although they are fairly thin for a .45 they are still a full sized gun. Thats a little piece of beauty!

Post imported post

My RIA Tactical Commander is the same size and about $450 less.:P

Mine holds 7+1. Plenty of stopping power and ammo if you know how to shoot.

Post imported post

mathar1 wrote:

You, sir, are a saint. Im all about saving $$$. To a point anyway. I wont carry a kel tec or a hi point. No offense to those of you that do but I had the hipoint 9mm carbine and it jammed at least twice per magazine

Post imported post

mathar1 wrote:

I'll give that one a close second (I have one of those too). It is still a little larger, heavier and wider than my EMP. The EMP carries 9+1 in 9mm, and with the right loads, can be extremely effective in neutralizing a "target". Plus, in the smaller caliber, returning to POA is quicker due to less recoil.

edit: forgot to mention it also comes in .40 cal

Post imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
    mathar1 wrote:

You, sir, are a saint. Im all about saving $$$. To a point anyway. I wont carry a kel tec or a hi point. No offense to those of you that do but I had the hipoint 9mm carbine and it jammed at least twice per magazine
    And at about the same size but falling in the middle on price is the Para Ordinance P10.45, or Warthog series. They are double stack politically correct .45 autos, but you can load a larger mag if you want (extends the grip some) and you can get an extended floor plate for the mag if you want/need pinkie support. They can be had in your choice of .45 auto, .40 s&w, or 9mm P. OR just for fun you can get the .45 and caliber conversions for the other calibers.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

Going to the shop tomorrow. I'll be walking out with a new pistol or a challenge form. Wish me luck LOL

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 30. Fine weapon I'm firing 3" groups at 25 meters. All 10 rounds in there.

Post imported post

<----- Kahr P9 Covert.

Post imported post

How 'bout a beretta PX4 Subcompact. Kinda hard to find right now, but it looks great, and plenty of ammo in teh mag. (13+1)

Edit: .40S&W is out, but the gun is still hard to find at the moment...

Post imported post

soloban wrote:
    <----- Kahr P9 Covert.
    Would that be a 9mm then?

Post imported post

Yep. 9mm Kahr.

Post imported post

Wonder if he bought anything and if so what it was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast