• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying for larger guys.

eekabug

imported post

It sounds to me may of the members here are ex-military and in shape.

What I need info is on is for carrying open and concealed for some of us who are no longer as svelte as we once were.

I have a fanny pack for my Glock 19 but feel ridiculous wearing it. Any other suggestions?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I'm 6'2" 250#

In CCW only SC, a fanny pack screams 'gun'. CWP instructors used to teach that the cops were trained to assume that a guy with a fanny pack is armed.

I bought an IWB CC holster that did OK but a metal fitting wore out. I was most satisfied with carrying without a holster, in my belt, cross draw.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I'm 6' and 225. I'm not huge, but I definitely have some extra meat on me.
I carry OWB at 4 oclock or cross-draw. You just wear a loose cover garment to cover the weapon. You can also consider a shoulder rig like the one Galco makes.

My extra weight is on the front of me, so a Small of the Back holster dissapears easily as well.

r6-rider

imported post

if you cant get it on your hip theres always thigh holsters. i dont know what to tell you for CC though

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I am 5' 15" (6'3" for the Californians among us) and weigh about 220. I don't consider my self as out of shape as round IS a shape.

I carry indifferently as to concealment, so I have both IWB and OWB holsters, and I choose the one to use based on what I might be doing on any particular day. Almost all of my revolvers I carry in a pancake style belt slide, or sometimes in my back pocket. I actually find the OWB to be more comfortable since I put on the last 15 pounds or so.

I know a lot of the folks here like their push button black plastic holders for black plastic semi-auto handguns. I am more old school, and I prefer a nice leather holster and a steel frame handgun. Don't waste the bits trying to convert me to other styles. If I don't buy plastic guns, I am not going to start buying plastic holsters.

Besides I have tried a lot of gear, and I am happy with what I use. And that is the actual point. You have to try a lot of stuff until you get the mix right for you as an individual. What all of us use, may guide you to try some things, but each individual is unique and what others use will likely not work for you.

I have had good luck using Galco holsters for both styles, but I also have a few from Tucker Gun Leather. My OWB is a belt slide pancake style and hugs my body very well. My IWB is a rough outside split leather, and smooth inside lining. It has a clip that goes over the top of the pants and belt that hooks the bottom edge of the belt to keep it where it belongs. My IWB is also built to stay open after the firearm is removed to make re-holstering easier.

shad0wfax

imported post

eekabug wrote:

What I need info is on is for carrying open and concealed for some of us who are no longer as svelte as we once were.

I have a fanny pack for my Glock 19 but feel ridiculous wearing it. Any other suggestions?

I'm tall and I should probably lose 30 lbs to be in ideal shape. I'm not sure if you're bigger or smaller, but I've found that two types of holsters work well for me.

1) In the Waistband holsters like the Galco stuff for my revolver and CC

2) Paddle Holsters for OC. (You can get leather paddles, not just "plastic" ones)

Granted, you could OC the IWBs and you can CC some of the paddles/belt holsters too depending on what style of firearm you carry. 1911's conceal nicely on hips if you get the angle right.

I'm not so much of a fan of the belt holsters, but there are some nice ones out there that will do the job very well. I just prefer the IWB's and paddles.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I'm 6'1", 245lbs

Here ya go:

21evlz5.jpg

Or any one of these:

206ehra.jpg

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I'm 6'1", 245lbs

Here ya go:

Or any one of these:

SNIP OUT PICTURES

Nice pictures. However the post would be more useful to the OP if you mentioned in passing some brand names, or better yet posted some links to the manufacturer.;)

Just a thought.

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

6'3" 270# I wear a shoulder rig. T-shirton bottomopen button up shirt on top of that. Very comfortable, if the wind is blowing I just hold the shirt down over my gun.

Michigander

imported post

I was once somewhat over weight myself. I used to be 5-10 ish and 220 pounds, now I'm much skinnier. If anything, for concealed carry, it makes it easier to be larger. Easier to blend in under clothing, and more space to do it with.

For open carrying, I really don't think it matters either way. Just throw on your favorite holster and have at it. ;)

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry, I forgot. Clockwise from left: Galco SOB (the one in the top pic), Houston Holsters paddle (only paddle for Firestorm and Bersa Thunder .40), Jaypee summer holster (similar to Milt SparksSummer Special), Milt Sparks Versa Max II (the ultimate concealed carry holster). www.miltsparks.com

Not pictured: Don Hume pancake holster (only OWB for my railedTaurus PT 92 AFS)

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eekabug wrote:

Well it sounds like you and I are in kinda the same boat, except I've found ways to carry ccw and also I myself am ex-military , but got outa shape not working out.

I'm 6'1 271lbs., so I currently carry a in the pocket holster made by Uncle Mikes its called the sidekick and its a size 2 for my North American Arms Guardian .32. Also for ccw, I use to own a Glock17 9mm, carry it in a photographers vest they are relatively cheap lightweight if you shop the bidding sites and the have quick to get to inside pockets just barley past the zipper area of the opening of the vest also 5.11 has some great vest but there bit up there in price ranges.:D

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eekabug wrote:

Well it sounds like you and I are in kinda the same boat, except I've found ways to carry ccw and also I myself am ex-military , but got outa shape not working out.

I'm 6'1 271lbs., so I currently carry a in the pocket holster made by Uncle Mikes its called the sidekick and its a size 2 for my North American Arms Guardian .32. Also for ccw, I use to own a Glock17 9mm, carry it in a photographers vest they are relatively cheap lightweight if you shop the bidding sites and the have quick to get to inside pockets just barley past the zipper area of the opening of the vest also 5.11 has some great vest but there bit up there in price ranges.:D

superdemon

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I'm 6'2" 250#

In CCW only SC, a fanny pack screams 'gun'. CWP instructors used to teach that the cops were trained to assume that a guy with a fanny pack is armed.

I bought an IWB CC holster that did OK but a metal fitting wore out. I was most satisfied with carrying without a holster, in my belt, cross draw.

No.

We assume EVERYONE is armed until we determine otherwise.

I love the CCDW instructors that try to pretend they know all about cops and police tactics...