• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunshow Loophole Bill

brokerbh

imported post

VA senate just failed to pass the bill closing the "gun show loophole"....thank goodness!

byrdj

imported post

I just watched Senator Marsh speak on SB1257 on PBS and I must say, he is by far one of the worst public speakers I have ever seen. I also was entertained by his use of two incidents that occurred outside of Virginia (one in California, one in Missouri I believe) as evidence for his argument to pass this bill.

brokerbh

imported post

I watched it also, it was something to behold. Disjointed in content, logic and delivery.

I'm really interested to see the breakdown of the vote to see where the support and the lack of support came from.

byrdj

imported post

No idea where you can find a video replay. I just happened to have my TV set on public television and they are broadcasting the assembly meeting. I believe you can stream it from the General Assembly website.

brokerbh

imported post

I watched it on the live streaming feed from the general assembly. When they are actually in session the feed is available from the GA's home page. Same for the house. Don't know if there is any replay capability.

AtackDuck

imported post

I noticed that they also voted on a "Reconsideration of defeated action agreed to by Senate (40-Y 0-N)"
and then did a "Passed by for the day".

I guess this means it is still alive and Marsh will have time for arm twisting/bribery. 4 votes is not enough margin for me.

67GT390FB

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Not even four votes, only three technically, by two to tie. How do you find out how your rep voted. TIME TO GIVE THEM A CALL!!!

SB 1257 Firearms; criminal records check performed at a gun show before vendor may transfer.

log in | tally sheet floor: 02/03/09 Senate: Read third time and defeated by Senate (18-Y 22-N)

[line]

YEAS--Barker, Deeds, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Petersen, Puller, Quayle, Saslaw, Ticer, Whipple--18.

NAYS--Blevins, Colgan, Cuccinelli, Edwards, Hanger, Houck, Hurt, Martin, McDougle, Newman, Obenshain, Puckett, Reynolds, Ruff, Smith, Stolle, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Wampler, Watkins--22.

RULE 36--0.

NOT VOTING--0.

so much for creigh and chappy being pro 2A

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
I noticed that they also voted on a "Reconsideration of defeated action agreed to by Senate (40-Y 0-N)"
and then did a "Passed by for the day".

I guess this means it is still alive and Marsh will have time for arm twisting/bribery. 4 votes is not enough margin for me.

From Phillip

In a parliamentary move, the gun show bill's vote was reconsidered and
passed by for the day, effectively bringing it back from the dead and
allowing the bill to be voted on again on the Senate Floor (perhaps
tomorrow). :-(

So we must keep the pressure on until this atrocity is truly dead and
buried.

We must make sure that we don't lose any of the Senators who opposed
the bill today.

:cuss::banghead:

streetdoc

imported post

Senator Houck's aides are beginning to recognize my name when ever I call:celebrate Pretty soon they should be able to recognize my voice since I call just about everyday.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I see Senator Newman, my senator, is a 'nay' voter. I'll be sure to send him a thank you note, but also encourage him to vote it again when necessary.

Armed

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
From Phillip

In a parliamentary move, the gun show bill's vote was reconsidered and
passed by for the day, effectively bringing it back from the dead and
allowing the bill to be voted on again on the Senate Floor (perhaps
tomorrow). :-(

:cuss::banghead:

:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::cuss::cuss:

)(*&$lkje)(a*&e#lkjaer)(*ue)(awjea)(w!!!!!! dAgNAbIT!!!