• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Creigh Deeds

AtackDuck

imported post

I getting ready to email this. Before I do -- Comments? Critique?

Senator Deeds,

In the last Virginia gubernatorial race, candidate Kilgore was endorsed by the NRA. He and his staff figured that they had the gun-vote locked up. Then one of his lead staffers insulted the Virginia Citizens Defense League. No apology, just a blow off. Instead of 3,000+ people working for his election, Kilgore had 3,000+ pissed off Virginians no longer working for his election and about 800 activists working diligently against him. Mr. Kilgore lost the election.

Senator Deeds, I suggest that you reevaluate your votes and positions on the issue of our right to defend ourselves with arms. You have already voted against us on the so-called “gunshow loophole” bill. Can you really afford to walk the Kilgore path? We are not ignorant, illiterate rednecks. We are well organized and well educated when it comes to our rights. We are Virginians.

A fellow Virginian, Patrick Henry, once said: "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel."[/i] You sir, are suspect; can you afford it politically?

I am not a spokesman for, nor do I represent the VCDL.

Regards,

me

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sounds good to me. I say let em have it. I'm sick and tired of dirtbag politicians taking away freedoms that many thousands of Americans have paid for with their very lives.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

1. Change "pissed off" to "angry."

2. E-mail it to Philip VanCleave. He knows what he's doing.He will know whether the strong tone will help, hurt, or have no effect on his efforts.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Also, consider handwriting it out, and snail mailing it. Much more personal than email.

I got a doosey I'm about to mail off to my representative.

AtackDuck

imported post

Citizen wrote:

2. E-mail it to Philip VanCleave. He knows what he's doing.He will know whether the strong tone will help, hurt, or have no effect on his efforts.

I rather like "pissed off". It's more -- visceral and conveys more energy. :cuss:

Philip is up tohis armpits doingwhat he does best: :banghead::celebrate I'd rather not bother him with this one.

Good points! Thanks!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Irather like "pissed off". It's more -- visceral and conveys more energy. :cuss:

Philip is up tohis armpits doingwhat he does best: :banghead::celebrate I'd rather not bother him with this one.

Good points! Thanks!

Then why did you ask if it was too harsh?

"Pissed off" conveys, depending on the reader, exactly the "redneck" image you say we're not. Use proper English. Trust me. He is going to get the message. He may disregard it, but he'll get it. Using a colloquialism only improves your chances of being disregarded. Ever see the letter where Ben Franklin took to task a contemporary over that fellow's stance in the Revolution? No cursing. No hysteria. Just the simple declaration at the end that they were now enemies.

Philip won't mind in the least. I've done it. He responded in a timely manner with very good advice, with solid explanations. If he really is busy at the time your e-mail lands, he will set it aside until he can get to it.

67GT390FB

imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I rather like "pissed off". It's more -- visceral and conveys more energy. :cuss:

Good points! Thanks!
It also conveys ignorance, I can't remember who the original quote is attributed to(twain maybe)but i remember it paraphrased like this "the man who uses curse words to emphasize his argument doesn't own a thesauraus"

Armed

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
It also conveys ignorance, I can't remember who the original quote is attributed to(twain maybe)but i remember it paraphrased like this "the man who uses curse words to emphasize his argument doesn't own a thesauraus"

Despite the anger and outrage, I have to agree with your point. If we launch into to a tirade over an issue, we look bad. We feed that stereotype of the ignorant and uneducated. Not that it should matter, but these are educated people that think they're better than the rest of us.

I know it rubs against the grain of how we might really like to express ourselves, but you're right.

BTW - I love that quote. Do you think you could find it?

AtackDuck

imported post

Armed wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Despite the anger and outrage, I have to agree with your point. If we launch into to a tirade over an issue, we look bad. We feed that stereotype of the ignorant and uneducated. Not that it should matter, but these are educated people that think they're better than the rest of us.

I know it rubs against the grain of how we might really like to express ourselves, but you're right.

BTW - I love that quote. Do you think you could find it?

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/4486.html

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/2532

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/p/patrickhen101581.html

:celebrate

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
I getting ready to email this. Before I do -- Comments? Critique?

Senator Deeds,

In the last Virginia gubernatorial race, candidate Kilgore was endorsed by the NRA. He and his staff figured (delete "that") they had the gun(delete hyphen)vote locked up. Then one of his lead staffers insulted the Virginia Citizens Defense League. No apology, just a blow off. Instead of over 3000 people working for his election, Kilgore had over 3000 angry Virginians no longer working for his election, (add comma) and about 800 activists working diligently against him. Mr. Kilgore lost the election.

Senator Deeds, I suggest (delete "that") you reevaluate your votes and positions on the issue of our right to defend ourselves with arms. You have already voted against freedom on the so-called “gun(add hyphen)show loophole” bill. Can you really afford to walk the Kilgore path? We are not ignorant, illiterate rednecks. We are well(add hyphen)organized and well(add hyphen)educated when it comes to our rights. We are Virginians.

A fellow Virginian, Patrick Henry, once said: "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." You sir, are suspect; can you afford it politically?

I am not a spokesman for, nor do I represent, (add comma) the VCDL.

Regards,

me

Suggestions from a copyeditor.

Aimed Nickel

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Twain also said, "When angry, count four; when very angry, swear." :cuss: :D

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Good points in the responses. But one more is needed.

Avoid the use of the word, "redneck". It is offensive on a par with the dredded "N" word since it portrays a negative (racial?) stereotype about Southerners. Instead consider, "We are not ignorant, illiterate voters."