We all need to contact our Senators and ask them to not support SB
    1257, even if it gets watered down. We must do this NOW, the vote
    could be tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb 3rd).

To send a message to your Senator, click here (both links go to the
    same place):

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cg...RE=09-SB1257-3

http://tinyurl.com/bgbk9y

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Per the e-mail alerts I've received today, "tomorrow" would mean Weds Feb 4.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Per the e-mail alerts I've received today, "tomorrow" would mean Weds Feb 4.
    Edited to clarify the date. Thanks.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I have sent the message. Since the Senator for Norfolk, Eastern Shore and part of VA Beach Ralph Northam,voted incorrectly to begin with I hold no hope.And in all communications I have had with him he is wrong on this, and all other 2A issues.

Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Done as soon as I received the email.

Post imported post

EMAIL SENT!!!!

Post imported post

I sent some too. They won't listen but hey I am right next door.

Post imported post

Complete

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Message sent.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Snake Doctor wrote:
    Welcome aboard - appreciate the support.

Cross over the border and OC like it was meant to be - a right exercised in Va.

Enjoy a dinner with fellow OCers in NOVA or attend a VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) meeting in Allendale.

Yata hey

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Snake Doctor wrote:

Enjoy a dinner with fellow OCers in NOVA or attend a VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) meeting in Allendale.

Yata hey
    Welcome, SnakeDoc!!!

Grapeshot's messin' up a little bit this evening. He meant to say come enjoy the fellowship at the VCDL meeting in Annandale. :P

(And no, I ain't apologizing, neither. )
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Snake Doctor wrote:

Yata hey
    Welcome, SnakeDoc!!!

Grapeshot's messin' up a little bit this evening. He meant to say come enjoy the fellowship at the VCDL meeting in Annandale. :P

(And no, I ain't apologizing, neither. )
    Pssst - look behind you.

Yata hey

Post imported post

canvas bag filled with small projectiles

Post imported post

Sent letters to Sen. Watkins. He is a Repub. but seems to vote wrong on 2A bills.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

done.

Post imported post

I just got off the phone with the Senator George Barkers assistant. While sh could not say which way he planned to vote (he is a Dem so I think I know) she did say that she would convey my thoughts to him and would suggest he call me personally as I had some ideas that she thought he should discuss with me.

What was the great idea you might ask. Well it isn't mine. I suggested they kill SB 1257, and replace it with something useful.

My suggestion would be a voluntary provision that would ALLOW a private citizen to contact the Virginia State Police to run a VOLUNTARY check on a buyer in a private transaction. This legislation would not require checks for personal transactions nor would there be any penalty for not doing them. It would only authorize the VSP to participate in providing checks for private individuals and authorize the system for paying for the checks via credit card. The decision to either perform the check or not would rest solely with the individuals involved in the transaction.

If there was such a service available I would use it. But right now a private individual cannot have a check performed.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    I just got off the phone with the Senator George Barkers assistant. While sh could not say which way he planned to vote (he is a Dem so I think I know) she did say that she would convey my thoughts to him and would suggest he call me personally as I had some ideas that she thought he should discuss with me.

What was the great idea you might ask. Well it isn't mine. I suggested they kill SB 1257, and replace it with something useful.

My suggestion would be a voluntary provision that would ALLOW a private citizen to contact the Virginia State Police to run a VOLUNTARY check on a buyer in a private transaction. This legislation would not require checks for personal transactions nor would there be any penalty for not doing them. It would only authorize the VSP to participate in providing checks for private individuals and authorize the system for paying for the checks via credit card. The decision to either perform the check or not would rest solely with the individuals involved in the transaction.

If there was such a service available I would use it. But right now a private individual cannot have a check performed.
    I could support such a provision and I suspect a lot of honest everyday folks would too. Especially honest above board buyers. There's peace of mind to be had assuming you trust that check to be accurate.

I too believe the government should not be involved in citizen-to-citizen / private transactions of any kind unless both parties wish the government to be involved for THAT TRANSACTION. Ya know, the government to provide a helping hand when requested but otherwise stays the hell out.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:

I could support such a provision and I suspect a lot of honest everyday folks would too. Especially honest above board buyers. There's peace of mind to be had assuming you trust that check to be accurate.

I too believe the government should not be involved in citizen-to-citizen / private transactions of any kind unless both parties wish the government to be involved for THAT TRANSACTION. Ya know, the government to provide a helping hand when requested but otherwise stays the hell out.
    I think that before I could support a voluntary background check like this, I would want to add some requirements to the implementation of the law that reinforce the voluntary nature of the check.

First, specify signage of a certain size and text that states the voluntary nature, and second, both parties must sign a form provided by the state agent performing that check that clearly states everyone understands that the check is entirely voluntary on the part of both parties of the transaction.

Otherwise, I could easily see the existence of a "background check booth" getting abused by overzealous LEOs on site at a gun show.

I agree that there may be some usefulness in providing such a service, as long as it is never confused about being entirely voluntary in nature.

On the down side, once they put in the infrastructure for a voluntary check, all you have to do is add two letters to make it involuntary. There is something to be said for that as well.

TFred

Post imported post

SB 1257 is dead, again!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

At first blush, this sounds like a great idea. As I start to think about it, I wonder about the following scenario:

Voluntary checks are available through the VSP. You choose not to take advantage of that for a private sale. The buyer, while seeming to be above-board and responsible, is actually a felon, unbeknownst to you. He later uses that gun in the commission of a murder, and is eventually caught and sent to jail for a very long time.

Unfortunately for you, the victim's family now comes after you, since you had a way to ensure your gun didn't end up in the hands of a felon, but you neglegently (they allege) didn't use it. If you'd been a responsible citizen, they claim, their relative would still be alive today. And so on and so forth.

I don't know, maybe I'm too cynical, but I have to wonder if such a thing could be turned against us. Maybe on the whole it would still be better than what we have now, but I think we have to consider the downsides, too.

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    SB 1257 is dead, again!
    defeated 19-21 2/4/09

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    ...SNIP

I think that before I could support a voluntary background check like this, I would want to add some requirements to the implementation of the law that reinforce the voluntary nature of the check.

First, specify signage of a certain size and text that states the voluntary nature, and second, both parties must sign a form provided by the state agent performing that check that clearly states everyone understands that the check is entirely voluntary on the part of both parties of the transaction.

SNIP...
    TFred
    I think you may not have the actual nature of this in mind. This would not be specific to gun shows. This would all be done on the phone, just like a dealer does it now. Perhaps if a larger gun show had a booth for the VSP like some do, then it might be done in person. But what I had in mind was a phone call to the VSP, they give the cleared response, and any fees are passed on to the seller just as they are by a dealer. No records kept, no tracking done, and all voluntary on the part of the participants. Now for my part, if I want to do the check and the buyer says no... well he can just buy someplace else because he is hiding something.

VSP. You choose not to take advantage of that for a private sale. The buyer, while seeming to be above-board and responsible, is actually a felon, unbeknownst to you. He later uses that gun in the commission of a murder, and is eventually caught and sent to jail for a very long time.

Unfortunately for you, the victim's family now comes after you, since you had a way to ensure your gun didn't end up in the hands of a felon, but you neglegently (they allege) didn't use it. If you'd been a responsible citizen, they claim, their relative would still be alive today. And so on and so forth.

I don't know, maybe I'm too cynical, but I have to wonder if such a thing could be turned against us. Maybe on the whole it would still be better than what we have now, but I think we have to consider the downsides, too.
    [/quote]
    It is not too cynical, but first off they would have to trace the gun back to you. In a lot of cases there are no records to do that with. You sold the gun sure, but to who? there is no record that you sold it to the Bad Guy. Second there are no records kept on the VSP check. SO how would anyone know you either did or did not run the check?

While I see your point, the whole idea is to make this no more traceable than the current instant check system, and at the same time open it up so private citizens can use the system. In my view this helps meet the goal of keeping firearms in lawful hands. Is it another law? Yes. But this time it is aimed at opening up a State police process for use by citizens, it is NOT aimed at the citizens or their firearms.

In fact this kind of law supports what we as gun owners have been saying for years. "Target the people, not the guns".

In any case I see we won the first round and defeated SB 1257. Lets see what happens next.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    SB 1257 is dead, again!
    defeated 19-21 2/4/09
    Do we know who flipped and if any text was changed? The last vote was 18-22.

Post imported post

Probably that one ********* that said he pressed the wrong button.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

lol...oh yeah, thanks for the reminder.

Button 1: Support individual rights and the Constitution

Button 2: Squash individual rights and screw the Constitution

It's understandable that they occasional hit the wrong button. Going from one bill to the next, it can be hard to remember which way you were bribed to vote. That's probably why Obama loved his "Present" button so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast