• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IMMEDIATE ACTION ALERT 2-3-09

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

From VCDL:

URGENT ACTION ITEM BELOW:

Senator Marsh's gun show bill, SB 1257, was brought back from the dead
by Senator Colgan (Democrat - Manassas), who claimed to have voted
against the bill by mistake and wanted to change his vote. That
opened the door for Senator Marsh to ask that his bill be passed by
for the day.

Senator Marsh is probably looking to water down his bill in hopes that
he can get enough votes to pass it tomorrow 2/4/08

URGENT ACTION ITEM

We all need to contact our Senators and ask them to not support SB
1257, even if it gets watered down. We must do this NOW, the vote
could be tomorrow (Wednesday, Feb 3rd).

To send a message to your Senator, click here (both links go to the
same place):

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MySenator&PRE=09-SB1257-3

http://tinyurl.com/bgbk9y

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Per the e-mail alerts I've received today, "tomorrow" would mean Weds Feb 4.
Edited to clarify the date. Thanks.

Yata hey

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

I have sent the message. Since the Senator for Norfolk, Eastern Shore and part of VA Beach Ralph Northam,voted incorrectly to begin with I hold no hope.And in all communications I have had with him he is wrong on this, and all other 2A issues.

:cuss::banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Snake Doctor wrote:
I sent some too. They won't listen but hey I am right next door.
Welcome aboard - appreciate the support.

Cross over the border and OC like it was meant to be - a right exercised in Va.

Enjoy a dinner with fellow OCers in NOVA or attend a VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) meeting in Allendale.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Snake Doctor wrote:

Enjoy a dinner with fellow OCers in NOVA or attend a VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/) meeting in Allendale.

Yata hey

Welcome, SnakeDoc!!!

Grapeshot's messin' up a little bit this evening. He meant to say come enjoy the fellowship at the VCDL meeting in Annandale. :):p

(And no, I ain't apologizing, neither. :))

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Snake Doctor wrote:

Yata hey

Welcome, SnakeDoc!!!

Grapeshot's messin' up a little bit this evening. He meant to say come enjoy the fellowship at the VCDL meeting in Annandale. :):p

(And no, I ain't apologizing, neither. :))
Pssst - look behind you.

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just got off the phone with the Senator George Barkers assistant. While sh could not say which way he planned to vote (he is a Dem so I think I know) she did say that she would convey my thoughts to him and would suggest he call me personally as I had some ideas that she thought he should discuss with me.

What was the great idea you might ask. Well it isn't mine. I suggested they kill SB 1257, and replace it with something useful.

My suggestion would be a voluntary provision that would ALLOW a private citizen to contact the Virginia State Police to run a VOLUNTARY check on a buyer in a private transaction. This legislation would not require checks for personal transactions nor would there be any penalty for not doing them. It would only authorize the VSP to participate in providing checks for private individuals and authorize the system for paying for the checks via credit card. The decision to either perform the check or not would rest solely with the individuals involved in the transaction.

If there was such a service available I would use it. But right now a private individual cannot have a check performed.

darthmord

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I just got off the phone with the Senator George Barkers assistant. While sh could not say which way he planned to vote (he is a Dem so I think I know) she did say that she would convey my thoughts to him and would suggest he call me personally as I had some ideas that she thought he should discuss with me.

What was the great idea you might ask. Well it isn't mine. I suggested they kill SB 1257, and replace it with something useful.

My suggestion would be a voluntary provision that would ALLOW a private citizen to contact the Virginia State Police to run a VOLUNTARY check on a buyer in a private transaction. This legislation would not require checks for personal transactions nor would there be any penalty for not doing them. It would only authorize the VSP to participate in providing checks for private individuals and authorize the system for paying for the checks via credit card. The decision to either perform the check or not would rest solely with the individuals involved in the transaction.

If there was such a service available I would use it. But right now a private individual cannot have a check performed.

I could support such a provision and I suspect a lot of honest everyday folks would too. Especially honest above board buyers. There's peace of mind to be had assuming you trust that check to be accurate.

I too believe the government should not be involved in citizen-to-citizen / private transactions of any kind unless both parties wish the government to be involved for THAT TRANSACTION. Ya know, the government to provide a helping hand when requested but otherwise stays the hell out.

TFred

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

I could support such a provision and I suspect a lot of honest everyday folks would too. Especially honest above board buyers. There's peace of mind to be had assuming you trust that check to be accurate.

I too believe the government should not be involved in citizen-to-citizen / private transactions of any kind unless both parties wish the government to be involved for THAT TRANSACTION. Ya know, the government to provide a helping hand when requested but otherwise stays the hell out.

I think that before I could support a voluntary background check like this, I would want to add some requirements to the implementation of the law that reinforce the voluntary nature of the check.

First, specify signage of a certain size and text that states the voluntary nature, and second, both parties must sign a form provided by the state agent performing that check that clearly states everyone understands that the check is entirely voluntary on the part of both parties of the transaction.

Otherwise, I could easily see the existence of a "background check booth" getting abused by overzealous LEOs on site at a gun show.

I agree that there may be some usefulness in providing such a service, as long as it is never confused about being entirely voluntary in nature.

On the down side, once they put in the infrastructure for a voluntary check, all you have to do is add two letters to make it involuntary. There is something to be said for that as well.

TFred

TexasNative

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

At first blush, this sounds like a great idea. As I start to think about it, I wonder about the following scenario:

Voluntary checks are available through the VSP. You choose not to take advantage of that for a private sale. The buyer, while seeming to be above-board and responsible, is actually a felon, unbeknownst to you. He later uses that gun in the commission of a murder, and is eventually caught and sent to jail for a very long time.

Unfortunately for you, the victim's family now comes after you, since you had a way to ensure your gun didn't end up in the hands of a felon, but you neglegently (they allege) didn't use it. If you'd been a responsible citizen, they claim, their relative would still be alive today. And so on and so forth.

I don't know, maybe I'm too cynical, but I have to wonder if such a thing could be turned against us. Maybe on the whole it would still be better than what we have now, but I think we have to consider the downsides, too.