• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT !!!! Calhoun County commisioners gun restrictions

mastiff69

imported post

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=37591

The above site is gone ?

The Calhoun commission agenda site No.12 A (5) will not load ??? HUMMMMM????

Please attend meeting and voice your dislike, it maybe time to install,new representation.

For the people , by the people......

Bronson

imported post

Hey Mastiff the link wouldn't open a thread for me.

I received this news from Joel Fulton via email, here it is.

That is right! Your gun rights are under attack right here in Calhoun County Michigan and your presence as a law abiding gun owner is required on the front lines of this first skirmish in a long battle to erode your gun rights. I can think of no better place to stand our ground than right here at our local level.

On Thursday, February 5th, 2009, at 7:00 p.m. at the County Building at 315 West Green Street in Marshall, MI in the County Commissioners Chambers on the third floor, the following resolution will be voted on:

Calhoun County Commission

Agenda Item 12.A. (5) for 2/5/09

WHEREAS, present levels of gun violence in the United States are far higher than in nations which regulate gun purchases more stringently,

NOW, THEREFORE, the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners support:

(1) The renewal of the ban on sale or purchase of assault weapons (making the ban permanent); and

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent firearms either legally or illegally.

I believe their intention is for paragraph II to read like this:

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent, to acquire firearms either legally or illegally.

The term Assault weapons is not defined nor is diminished mental capacity. In other places where actual ordinances have been passed, diminished mental capacity has included something as inocuous as seeing a psychologist to help deal with depression following the death of a loved one.

While our County Board has no regulatory authority over firearms, I can tell you what the goal here is all about. The goal is to get every local governing body, presumably representative of the people, to vote to support a new, permanent assault weapons ban (remember the ban under President Bill Clinton which also limited the capacity of handguns to 10 rounds or less?). Only this time the ban will not sunset; it will be made permamnent. President Obama is a community organizer and he is first getting as many local bodies of government as possible to lend their support for an Assault Weapons ban as he can get. When he gets a strong majority, then he will get the ban passed and signed into law and claim that most Americans supported gun control and that it was the will of the people.

By passing this resolution, the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners is essentially saying that most of the residents of Calhoun County support gun control and a renewed permanent assault weapons ban. It is imperative that we be in attendance on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. with a strong show of force to demonstrate that we are adamantly opposed to this resolution and that the adoption of this resolution will have a severe negative impact on the re-election of anyone who votes for it. Now is the time to stand up and I ask you to stand with me on Thursday night to protect all of our rights!

If you absolutely cannot make it on Thursday night, here is a link to contact your County Commissioner by phone or by e-mail:

[url]http://www.calhouncountymi.org/Departments/BoardOfCommissioners/OverviewBOC.htm[/url]

Make sure you are heard loud and clear!

Joel E. Fulton
Southside Sportsman Club
Freedom Firearms

I'm going to do my very best to be there. I'm hoping we can get the word out to enough people to really jam the place.

Bronson

taxwhat

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Hey Mastiff the link wouldn't open a thread for me.

I received this news from Joel Fulton via email, here it is.

That is right! Your gun rights are under attack right here in Calhoun County Michigan and your presence as a law abiding gun owner is required on the front lines of this first skirmish in a long battle to erode your gun rights. I can think of no better place to stand our ground than right here at our local level.

On Thursday, February 5th, 2009, at 7:00 p.m. at the County Building at 315 West Green Street in Marshall, MI in the County Commissioners Chambers on the third floor, the following resolution will be voted on:

Calhoun County Commission

Agenda Item 12.A. (5) for 2/5/09

WHEREAS, present levels of gun violence in the United States are far higher than in nations which regulate gun purchases more stringently,

(1) The renewal of the ban on sale or purchase of assault weapons (making the ban permanent); and

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent firearms either legally or illegally.

I believe their intention is for paragraph II to read like this:

(2) The enactment of laws at all levels of government to make it harder for those with diminished mental capacity or criminal intent, to acquire firearms either legally or illegally.

The term Assault weapons is not defined nor is diminished mental capacity. In other places where actual ordinances have been passed, diminished mental capacity has included something as inocuous as seeing a psychologist to help deal with depression following the death of a loved one.

While our County Board has no regulatory authority over firearms, I can tell you what the goal here is all about. The goal is to get every local governing body, presumably representative of the people, to vote to support a new, permanent assault weapons ban (remember the ban under President Bill Clinton which also limited the capacity of handguns to 10 rounds or less?). Only this time the ban will not sunset; it will be made permamnent. President Obama is a community organizer and he is first getting as many local bodies of government as possible to lend their support for an Assault Weapons ban as he can get. When he gets a strong majority, then he will get the ban passed and signed into law and claim that most Americans supported gun control and that it was the will of the people.

By passing this resolution, the Calhoun County Board of Commissioners is essentially saying that most of the residents of Calhoun County support gun control and a renewed permanent assault weapons ban. It is imperative that we be in attendance on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. with a strong show of force to demonstrate that we are adamantly opposed to this resolution and that the adoption of this resolution will have a severe negative impact on the re-election of anyone who votes for it. Now is the time to stand up and I ask you to stand with me on Thursday night to protect all of our rights!

If you absolutely cannot make it on Thursday night, here is a link to contact your County Commissioner by phone or by e-mail:

[url]http://www.calhouncountymi.org/Departments/BoardOfCommissioners/OverviewBOC.htm[/url]

Make sure you are heard loud and clear!

Joel E. Fulton
Southside Sportsman Club
Freedom Firearms

I'm going to do my very best to be there. I'm hoping we can get the word out to enough people to really jam the place.

Bronson
If you need help contact me .If I say something you now Please do not take offence . Get and read bylaws for County Commission ,Practice your public reply for speaking . remember don't blow hot air they will .Read and Reread open meeting act DO NOT BE BULLED into short or time restricted time,If it was not in use from organizational meeting the one picking dates for meeting .Once you read whether or not they have a valid time limit on public speaking [ 3 or 5] minute rule , must have been passed by 2/3 of all members must be always enforced if not NOT enforceable .No clapping or booing POKER faced ":RIGHT to BEAR ARMS " not weapon.1963 Michigan Constitutional add on right to own and defend ones home . VERY nice post Jan

taxwhat

imported post

From site ,,,RULE 2: OPEN MEETINGS -- WHO MAY SPEAK http://www.calhouncountymi.org/Departments/BoardOfCommissioners/BoardRules.htm#Top

2.1 CITIZENS' TIME (AGENDA AND NON-AGENDA ITEMS)
[align=justify]If a person other than a Commissioner wishes to speak the person shall raise his/her hand during Citizens Time, either at the beginning or near the close of the meeting, to be recognized by the Board Chairperson. When recognized by the Chairperson, the person shall approach the podium, announce his/her name, and community of residence. Each person shall be allowed to address the Board regarding County business for up to a maximum of five minutes, avoiding negative personal comments, and shall stop speaking when ruled out of order by the Chairperson.[/align]​
Now I added Bold "says WHO Please show me the LAW " NOT never during citizens time !!

taxwhat

imported post

RULE 14: ORDINANCES

14.1 FIVE OF SEVEN VOTE REQUIRED
[align=justify]All ordinances shall receive a vote of five of seven of the members to pass.[/align]
14.2 PUBLICATION AND EFFECTIVE DATE
[align=justify]Ordinances shall take effect upon date of publication in accordance with M.C.L. 46.11.[/align]
14.3 WITHDRAWAL OF RESOLUTIONS OR ORDINANCES
[align=justify]All resolutions and ordinances may be withdrawn by its maker and supporter before a vote is taken or before they are amended, if there is no objection by any Commissioner.[/align]​
RULE 15: ALTERATION AND SUSPENSION OF RULES

15.1 PERMANENT RULE ALTERATION
[align=justify]Any rule of the Board except a statutory rule, may be altered or amended by a vote of two-thirds of the members, provided that notice of the proposition to amend or alter has been given at a meeting of the Board immediately preceding.[/align]
15.2 TEMPORARY RULE SUSPENSION
[align=justify]Any rule may be suspended for a single meeting by vote of five of seven of the members present and voting. Such rule shall be deemed in full force and effect either upon a motion duly passed to reinstate it, or at the close of business at any session in which it was suspended.[/align]​

taxwhat

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
RULE 14: ORDINANCES

14.1 FIVE OF SEVEN VOTE REQUIRED

[align=justify]All ordinances shall receive a vote of five of seven of the members to pass.[/align]
14.2 PUBLICATION AND EFFECTIVE DATE

[align=justify]Ordinances shall take effect upon date of publication in accordance with M.C.L. 46.11.[/align]
14.3 WITHDRAWAL OF RESOLUTIONS OR ORDINANCES

[align=justify]All resolutions and ordinances may be withdrawn by its maker and supporter before a vote is taken or before they are amended, if there is no objection by any Commissioner.[/align]​
RULE 15: ALTERATION AND SUSPENSION OF RULES

15.1 PERMANENT RULE ALTERATION

[align=justify]Any rule of the Board except a statutory rule, may be altered or amended by a vote of two-thirds of the members, provided that notice of the proposition to amend or alter has been given at a meeting of the Board immediately preceding.[/align]
15.2 TEMPORARY RULE SUSPENSION

[align=justify]Any rule may be suspended for a single meeting by vote of five of seven of the members present and voting. Such rule shall be deemed in full force and effect either upon a motion duly passed to reinstate it, or at the close of business at any session in which it was suspended.[/align]​
Rule 15 IMO: Unenforceable and may be illegal ??

azebolsky

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

azebolsky wrote:
Link pulled directly from the County Commission's website - the agenda.

http://www.calhouncountymi.org/Departments/BoardOfCommissioners/Agendas/2009/090205.htm

(5) Resolution Supporting Legislation to Lessen Gun Violence -- attachment
(Action: Motion to Approve)

Also, if you live in Calhoun County - please contact your commissioner immediately.

http://www.calhouncountymi.org/Departments/BoardOfCommissioners/OverviewBOC.htm

*S*
Can you post the entire resolution? I can't open it, it says file damaged.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

February 5, 2009

12.A. (5)

WHEREAS, present levels of gun violence in the United States are far higher than in nations which regulate gun purchases more stringently.

This is the extent of the "resolution", Venator. Taken verbatim.

mastiff69

imported post

I contacted Channel 3 WWMT

They said, IF they decided to do the story they would contact me WTF ?????

I guess Calhoun commissioners breaking the law or attempting to do so is NOT a big deal after all, isn't that what they are supposed to do until they get nailed !!!

I guess i should have told them that some OPEN CARRY members would be there:what:Maybe then it would be a party worth attending:celebrate:lol::idea:

Lock and load daddy's home;)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
I contacted Channel 3 WWMT

They said, IF they decided to do the story they would contact me WTF ?????

I guess Calhoun commissioners breaking the law or attempting to do so is NOT a big deal after all, isn't that what they are supposed to do until they get nailed !!!

I guess i should have told them that some OPEN CARRY members would be there:what:Maybe then it would be a party worth attending:celebrate:lol::idea:

Lock and load daddy's home;)
Mastiff, you should know by now that the media requires mention of a"GUN" to show up. :?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
I told them that i would be there i thought that that would be enough

Now i wish that i had my ar15 pistol to OC:what::lol:

nfa-pistol.jpg

Yup!!! That would do the trick. :cool:

azebolsky

imported post

Lengthy, but here it is.

Call to Order/Roll Call

Invocation

Pledge of Allegiance

Approval of Agenda

Approval of Minutes: January 8 and January 22, 2009

Citizens’ Comments

Elected/Appointed County Officials’ Comments

Special Order of Business:

7th District Commissioner Appointment

“N.A.A.C.P. Centennial Day” Proclamation -- attachment

Consent Agenda

Petitions, Communications, Reports:
(1) Communication received from Sheriff Byam advising that the Sheriff Department has accepted a new agreement with the U.S. Marshals Service for the housing of federal detainees at a daily per diem rate of $70. (To be received and placed on file)

(2) Third and Fourth Quarter 2008 Out-of-State Travel Report -- attachment
Resolutions:
(1) Calhoun County Retirement Committee Appointments

{a} Bradley Wilcox -- County Administrator’s Office Rep
(Replacing Wendee Woods)

{b} Kim Archambault -- Human Resources Dept. Rep

(2) Calhoun County Security Committee Appointments
(Terms Expire December 31, 2009)

{a} Susan Mladenoff, Prosecutor
(Replacing John Hallacy)

{b} Jim Rutherford, Health Officer
(Replacing Dottie-Kay Bowersox)

(3) Community Corrections Advisory Board Appointment

{a} John Sullivan, Defense Attorneys’ Representative
(Replacing Susan Mladenoff)

{b} Eusebio Solis, Alternate for the Prosecutor
(Replacing Daniel Buscher)

(4) Criminal Justice System Workshop Appointments
(Terms Expire December 31, 2010)

{a} Allen Garbrecht
{b} Kimberly Luther
{c} Jeffrey Albaugh
{d} John Holmes
{e} Michelle Hill
{f} Trina McGaffigan
{g} Gary Reed
{h} Michael Boltz
{i} Allen Byam
{j} Marshall Weeks
{k} Susan Mladenoff

(5) Emergency Telephone District Board Appointment

{a} Bradley Wilcox -- Alternate for County Administrator
(Replacing Wendee Woods)

(6) Greater Battle Creek/Calhoun County Visitor & Convention Bureau Appointment

{a} Ann Petredean -- Term Expires December 31, 2010

(7) Housing Rehabilitation Program Review Board Appointments

{a} Brian Beaver -- Contractor Representative
{b} Ben Sprygada – Community Representative
{c} Jon Bartlett -- Calhoun County’s Representative

(8) Information Technology Executive Committee Appointment
(Term Expires December 31, 2009)

{a} Jim Rutherford -- Health Department Representative
(Replacing Dottie-Kay Bowersox)

(9) Local Emergency Planning Committee Appointment

{a} Durk Dunham -- Emergency Management Representative
(Replacing Larry Utterback)

(10) Plat Board Sub-Division Advisory Committee Appointment

{a} Larry Cortright – Water Resources Office Representative
(Replacing Blaine Van Sickle)

(11) Solid Waste Management Planning Advisory Committee Appointments

{a} Ken Kohs -- City Government Representative
{b} Walt Obrinski – Township Government Representative
{c} Cheryl Vosburg -- Environmental Interest Representative

(12) Southwest Michigan Solid Waste Consortium Appointment

{a} Tiffany Eichorst – Term Expires December 31, 2009

(13) Southwest Michigan Solid Waste Consortium Advisory Committee Appointment

{a} Tiffany Eichorst – Term Expires December 31, 2009

(14) Travel Review Committee Appointment

{a} Bradley Wilcox -- Replacing Wendee Woods

(15) County Administrator Search Committee Dissolution

WHEREAS, the County Administrator Search Committee, created August 7, 2008, has completed the search for a new County Administrator Controller.
BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED, that the County Administrator Search Committee is hereby dissolved.

(16) Road Commissioner Selection Committee Dissolution

WHEREAS, the Road Commissioner Selection Committee, created November 6, 2008, has completed its assignment.
BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED, that the Road Commissioner Selection Committee is hereby dissolved.

(17) Confirmation of Commissioners’ Committee Assignments
(All Appointment Terms Expire December 31, 2010)

{a} Administrator’s Review Workshop

[1] Mike Rae, Chairman
[2] Lisa Gerow
[3] Julie Camp

{b} Area Agency on Aging Advisory Committee

[1] Rebecca Rocho

{c} Area Metropolitan Services Agency

[1] Mike Rae, Board Liaison

{d} Battle Creek Area Transportation Study Policy Committee

[1] Terris Todd

{e} Budget Committee

[1] Terris Todd, Chairman
[2] Mike Rae
[3] Rebecca Rocho

{f} Calhoun/Barry Voluntary Mortgage Review Board

[1] Julie Camp

{g} Calhoun County Agricultural and Industrial Society Liaison

[1] Rebecca Rocho

{h} Calhoun County Agricultural Preservation Board

[1] Julie Camp

{i} Calhoun County Consolidated Dispatch Center Authority Governing Board

[1] Mike Rae

{j} Calhoun County Land Bank Authority Board of Directors

[1] Terris Todd

{k} Calhoun County Retirement Committee

[1] Julie Camp
[2] Rebecca Rocho, Alternate

{l} Community Action Agency Governing Board of Directors

[1] Julie Camp

{m} Calhoun County Community Corrections Advisory Board

[1] Terris Todd
[2] Mike Rae, Alternate

{n} Criminal Justice System Workshop

[1] Mike Rae, Chairman
[2] Terris Todd

{o} Battle Creek Downtown Development Authority

[1] Terris Todd

{p} Drainage Board

[1] Julie Camp

{q} Emergency Telephone District Board

[1] Mike Rae

{r} Emmett Township Local Development Financing Authority

[1] Julie Camp

{s} Friends of the Ott Committee Executive Board

[1] Julie Camp

{t} Goguac Lake Board

[1] Jim Haadsma
*Non-Board Member Appointment [2] * Larry Cortright

{u} Health Board

[1] Lisa Gerow

{v} Calhoun County Information Technology Executive Committee

[1] Julie Camp

{w} Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee

[1] Terris Todd, Chairman

{x} Kalamazoo Community Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services Advisory Board

[1] Julie Camp
[2] Jim Haadsma
[3] Lisa Gerow, Alternate

{y} Legislative Liaisons

[1] Rebecca Rocho, Chairperson
[2] Lisa Gerow
[3] Julie Camp

{z} Local Emergency Planning Committee

[1] Mike Rae

{aa} Calhoun County Metropolitan Planning Commission

[1] Rebecca Rocho
*Non-Board Member Appointment [2] * Terance Lunger
(Term Expires December 31, 2011)

{bb} Potawatomi Resource Conservation and Development Council

[1] Julie Camp
[2] Lisa Gerow, Alternate

{cc} Senior Millage Allocation Committee

[1] Lisa Gerow, Chairperson
[2] Julie Camp
[3] Rebecca Rocho

{dd} Solid Waste Management Planning Advisory Committee

[1] Terris Todd

{ee} Southwest Michigan Solid Waste Consortium

[1] Julie Camp

{ff} United Way FEMA Board

[1] Lisa Gerow
[2] Terris Todd

{gg} Workforce Development Chief Executive Officers Board

[1] Jim Haadsma
[2] Lisa Gerow
[3] Julie Camp
{hh} Calhoun County Youth Council
[1] Jim Haadsma
Special Committee/Workshop/Board Reports

Unfinished and Old Business

Petitions and New Business:

County Administrator/Controller’s Report
(1) Housing Rehabilitation Program Grant Agreement Amendment -- attachment

(2) Interim County Administrator/Controller Services Agreement Amendment -- attachment

(3) FY 2009 Budget Adjustments -- attachment

(4) Assignment of Easements to Clarence Township -- attachment

(5) Resolution Supporting Legislation to Lessen Gun Violence -- attachment

(6) Calhoun County Defined Benefit Pension Plan Sixth Amendment -- attachment

(7) Carry Forward of 2008 Capital Improvement Project -- attachment
(Action: Informational)
Citizens’ Time