• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email I just got from Charles Steger

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
If I lost 32 or 33 members of my "family" because of my policies, I would never allow myself to speak publicly on the matter again. I would hang my head in shame and spend the rest of my life in a dark, private place. Alas, that would be the honorable thing.

The ONLY acceptable thing for the VT president is to publicly apologize for his part in contributing to the problem and resign.

Yata hey
I like this thinking.
Charles Steger wishes to bask in the radiance of good things that happen during his tenure but wash his hands of the blood of complacency and fault unusual events by unusual, unforseen people. He is the Captain and ultimately the one who must bear the blame.

The Captain of his ship is responsible not only for the vessel but for the lives of all aboard.

How many naval careers have been scuttled for lack of proper attention to this detail and frequently rightfully so IMO.

Colleges are carefully constructed pens for the lambs and the wolves WILL find a way in which to feed. The lambs need sharp TEETH - other direct suitable means to STOP the wolves. The shepherd's crook is worthless against the wolves.

Yata hey

PS - I have not yet really begun to rant.

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
If I lost 32 or 33 members of my "family" because of my policies, I would never allow myself to speak publicly on the matter again. I would hang my head in shame and spend the rest of my life in a dark, private place. Alas, that would be the honorable thing.

The ONLY acceptable thing for the VT president is to publicly apologize for his part in contributing to the problem and resign.

Yata hey
I like this thinking.
Charles Steger wishes to bask in the radiance of good things that happen during his tenure but wash his hands of the blood of complacency and fault unusual events by unusual, unforseen people. He is the Captain and ultimately the one who must bear the blame.

The Captain of his ship is responsible not only for the vessel but for the lives of all aboard.

How many naval careers have been scuttled for lack of proper attention to this detail and frequently rightfully so IMO.

Colleges are carefully constructed pens for the lambs and the wolves WILL find a way in which to feed. The lambs need sharp TEETH - other direct suitable means to STOP the wolves. The shepherd's crook is worthless against the wolves.

Yata hey

PS - I have not yet really begun to rant.
Yep, my next door neighbor, at one time, was a naval captain. Some ship was in the news as having run aground, no real damage. He said that captain's career was over. And rightfully so I guess. Too many other able people standing in line to take the job. But the armed forces are different than civilians I guess. In the armed forces you're talking about lives, perhaps tens of thousands, when talking about bad decisions and policies. In civilian life you're more used to only talking money. We need to emphasize that this issue is about lives, maybe yours.

vbnative73

imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
Paerhaps a few emails or phone calls might assist the president in a re-look at his views??

Office of the President
210 Burruss Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061

E-mail: president@vt.edu

Phone: (540) 231-6231

:shock:;)

Done. I attached a copy of Gun Facts 5.0 to the email.

Neplusultra

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
razor_baghdad wrote:
Paerhaps a few emails or phone calls might assist the president in a re-look at his views??

Office of the President
210 Burruss Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061

E-mail: president@vt.edu

Phone: (540) 231-6231

:shock:;)

Done. I attached a copy of Gun Facts 5.0 to the email.
Great, saved a copy for myself!

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
If I lost 32 or 33 members of my "family" because of my policies, I would never allow myself to speak publicly on the matter again.  I would hang my head in shame and spend the rest of my life in a dark, private place.  Alas, that would be the honorable thing.

Yata hey

+1 VT Class of 1987

nova

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I would hang my head in shame and spend the rest of my life in a dark, private place.

Yata hey
He already has his head up a dark, private place.

AtackDuck

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
hsmith wrote:
80 people are killed by firearms a day, but how many livesare saved by firearms a day?

1.5 million / 365 = 4109 and change

WISQARS 2005: Homocide by firearm 12,352

/ 365 = 33.8/day

You can only get the 80 # by lumping suicide, accidental, legal intervention and murder together. What a schmuck.