• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Million Gun Owner March will happen Spring 2010

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"They can't arrest all of us!"

When I lived in Phoenix a couple years ago we had various marches and demonstrations put on by illegal aliens and their supporters. If I recall these demonstrations brought in 10,000's of people closing down small sections of town at a time. At the time I commented to a retiredpoliceman friend that the cops should just wait around for some in the crowd to violate various traffic laws and then end up finding them out as illegals. His words to me were wise. He commented back something like "when you have that many people gathered you don't make piddly arrests to incite them."

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
I'll finally have an excuse for another DC vacation.
Jumping from the frying pan to the fire is 'vacation'? Groton-New London wasn't that bad.

I didn't realize DC qualifies as the "fire." I though it was more like an amusement park for stuffy grown ups. I just happen to enjoy exploring new areas and there's still a lot I didn't get to see last time.

Michigander

imported post

A better use of a million volunteers is to call up their representatives every time that a piece of garbage bill is proposed. I don't mean to discourage the plan, but a march will be little known around the country, because of being downplayed by the media. My dad was a vietnam protester who went to DC many times, and he told me that every big event he was at had coverage by the media where they estimated the total numbers of people at less than half what they really were. :banghead:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
A better use of a million volunteers is to call up their representatives every time that a piece of garbage bill is proposed. I don't mean to discourage the plan, but a march will be little known around the country, because of being downplayed by the media. My dad was a vietnam protester who went to DC many times, and he told me that every big event he was at had coverage by the media where they estimated the total numbers of people at less than half what they really were. :banghead:
Don't be a wet blanket Michigander!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Michigander wrote:
A better use of a million volunteers is to call up their representatives every time that a piece of garbage bill is proposed....
Much more effective use of assets - time and money.
IMHO - their aren't such numbers willing to take an active part - not yet at least.

I support and laud both efforts but I sincerely think that referring to such a march as being a Million anything can leave us open to ridicule unless there were an honest expectation of 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 million participating. I can see the headline now on page 17 - Million Gun Owner March Makes Protest Flop - fields 987 packin' heat on the Mall.

Don't even go that each marcher would represent another 1000 - the pictures would speak louder than our words.

Yata hey

jmlefler

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I disagree. I've written my reps on numerous occasions and haven't gotten the respect of a reply. It is my understanding that a well written, hand written letter is regarded as having the most strength, due to the time involved in preparing. however, when I went to Sen. Stop-her-now's (Stabenow) web site it said that due to 'security' it takes 4-6 weeks for a letter to make its way to her office. Nice. Now I email.

1,000,000 gun owners would be impressive indeed.

Imagine you dad's protests in the age of video and youtube.

Carry on.

Flintlock

imported post

Well, if only about1% of Americangun owners showed up, we would have around a million.

Orygunner

imported post

The Million Mom March didn't even get a million in Washington DC, only about 750,000, didn't they?

They also had mini-marches all over the country, that they still continue to hold on Mother's Day every year in some cities.

At first Million Mom March in Eugene, Oregon, I stood by the bike path they were marching by on and handed out pro-gun literature. If I do that again, I'll be OCing next time!:celebrate

Anyway, I'm all for this, and I strongly suspect we could hit a million, especially if any anti-gun legislation passes or gets really serious before then.

I wonder if the NRA would get behind it... I think it would only help!

...Orygunner...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A gun in the holster is safer than two in the safe.

10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10

Gun Owners March

Wash. DC 2010

Yata hey

Alexcabbie

imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
If the nation does'nt end by then...
You are not just whistling Dixie, Sir Knight. When a tax cheat who claims he cannot run TurboTax correctly is placed in charge of the Treasury becaue his "expertise" is indispensable, well................:uhoh:

compmanio365

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
KnightSG7 wrote:
If the nation does'nt end by then...
You are not just whistling Dixie, Sir Knight. When a tax cheat who claims he cannot run TurboTax correctly is placed in charge of the Treasury becaue his "expertise" is indispensable, well................:uhoh:
"When the people have learned they can vote themselves the money......" Well, you know the rest..........:uhoh:

Orygunner

imported post

I keep thinking about the title, Million Gun Owners March (MGOM), and I just don't like it.

The Million Mom March has already used the "Million" and failed. I worry It sets an expectation that will be ridiculed if it isn't met.

If we name it something else, and just set the goal for a cool million,at least people won't make fun of the name if it's not met.

I'd suggest something more along the lines of:

"Freedom March"

"Free American March"

"Liberty March"

"Firearms Freedom March"

"Second Amendment Liberty March"

"RKBA March"

"Freedom Loving Gun Owners RKBA March on Washington for Liberty" ;)

...I'd love to see us spank the MOM number :celebrate...
...orygunner...